Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,034 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Florida. We have been looking in the Sarasota area but finding family friendly gated communities is not looking to much in our favor. We will be visiting St Johns area next week looking for a great community to move to. With Sarasota GC's we saw very few kids and actually very few people outside. Even stopping at the community pools it was just a handful of adults and one pool had a mom with here 2 toddlers. We tried the Lakewood Ranch area and that was the same story. We have 3 young kids that love to play outside and have fun, I'm extremely concerned with some of these communities by-laws on noise and nuisance. We are not a loud party family, but would like to enjoy our pool outside with music (normal volume) and have fun. I would love to find a family friendly gated community were you can have a beer with the neighbors, go to the community pool for the day and let the kids play or let the kids be kids outside without worry of violations and fines. Any local advice would be greatly appreciated. With all these great schools, there has to be families with kids. Where do they all live???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 08:13 AM

122 posts, read 261,304 times
Try Palencia or Nocatee. Good luck and have fun looking.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean....-Augustine_FL

Old 03-14-2022, 07:58 PM

662 posts, read 868,220 times
Does it have to be gated? In my experience, gated is a false sense of security that just costs more. If it's a must, try Coastal Oaks in Nocatee. Crime is so low in the area, gates are just a means of slowing down the drop of of kids to sleepovers.

Would be happy to have you as my neighbor though! I love beer!

Old 03-15-2022, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 31,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Does it have to be gated? In my experience, gated is a false sense of security that just costs more. If it's a must, try Coastal Oaks in Nocatee. Crime is so low in the area, gates are just a means of slowing down the drop of of kids to sleepovers.

this

Old 03-17-2022, 07:12 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post

Exactly. I have a friend who lives in a gated security community. Can't tell you how many times I've just whizzed past that gate without punching in any codes and have seen dozens of other vehicles do that too. The only true gated community that I know of in our area is Cimmarone. You actually have to stop and speak to a security guard before being let in.

Old 03-22-2022, 06:31 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 813,178 times
When we moved down here I didn't really get the whole gate thing, but we fell in love with a house that was in a gated community. That was 23 years ago. There is value in it. It's a deterrent to people trying to break into cars. You won't have solicitors knocking on your door handing you pamphlets. My husband was on the road alot and I was home alone with toddlers. Did I leave my doors unlocked? If course not. But if someone's going to commit a property crime they're going to choose an area with the least risk.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
When we moved down here I didn't really get the whole gate thing, but we fell in love with a house that was in a gated community. That was 23 years ago. There is value in it. It's a deterrent to people trying to break into cars. You won't have solicitors knocking on your door handing you pamphlets. My husband was on the road alot and I was home alone with toddlers. Did I leave my doors unlocked? If course not. But if someone's going to commit a property crime they're going to choose an area with the least risk.
I'm not sure if there have been any formal studies performed but just doing a quick Google search says the opposite, according to this Sheriff there is "no difference" in crime in gated vs. non-gated communities.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-gated-story.html

Old 03-22-2022, 09:20 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm not sure if there have been any formal studies performed but just doing a quick Google search says the opposite, according to this Sheriff there is "no difference" in crime in gated vs. non-gated communities.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-gated-story.html
I disagree. We live in a manned, patrolled, gated community. Can people lie and get by the gates, of course, but its a deterrent. A non manned, gated community would have minimal or "no difference" since you can get the code and waltz in. Burglars are basically lazy and go for the easiest targets plus each car is photographed entering and exiting our community.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I disagree. We live in a manned, patrolled, gated community. Can people lie and get by the gates, of course, but its a deterrent. A non manned, gated community would have minimal or "no difference" since you can get the code and waltz in. Burglars are basically lazy and go for the easiest targets plus each car is photographed entering and exiting our community.
Gated vs. gated-with-a-security-guard are two entirely different things. Absolutely that would be a huge deterrent to criminals.

Just through keeping my ear to the ground, the people who are most susceptible to petty theft are those who park their vehicles in their driveways and on the street. Many times they are left unlocked, which is insane to me. Can't tell you how many times I've read on FB or NextDoor reports that someone "broke into my vehicle last night!" and when pressed, they admit they didn't lock their doors. Very few smashed windows unless there is something of extreme value sitting out in the open.

I personally wouldn't base such a decision on where to live based on a community having a gate. Generally those are the ones with the highest HOA fees anyway.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:47 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,152,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
You won't have solicitors knocking on your door handing you pamphlets.
That's probably my only complaint with our non-gated community. Only happens 2-3 times a year but annoying nonetheless. There were so many out of state "storm chaser" roofers canvassing the neighborhood after Matthew and Irma...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: