Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:51 AM

272 posts, read 1,001,204 times

Advertisements

Notice to all possible transplants.....

I know a lot of you have posted here your concerns about moving to Jacksonville, and the high murder rate in 2006. Please know that a lot of these instances were either drug related or instances where the victim knew the perp.

Although I don't have specific #'s, I have a family member who works for JSO. Few of these murders were random (where someone was killed 'just because').

I have lived in Jacksonville for 20 years since I was a teenager. I work downtown, and live in the Riverside/Avondale area, which is about 3 miles from downtown. Yes, you have your panhandlers, but the thing is that most of them are 'regulars' that you see often.

I think that Jax is a great place to raise a family, with all the parks, the river, the sports, and the beach. Yes, there are some areas i wouldn't want my wife to go on a walk late at night, but that's the same as in any town in America. Things have changed, and you really can't be too careful.

Just please don't believe all the media hype about Jacksonville having a huge crime/murder issue (public education - well that's a whole other thread )

Happy New Year, and welcome to the River City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 AM

4 posts, read 33,399 times
Why does the fact that they knew the killer make it better? In most cases of murder that is the case.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Because that means it's a personal issue & if you're not involved with these type of people, you are safe, as opposed to a city where people just go ballistic in schools, malls, what-have-you, or have alot of break-ins/robberies with murders.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 AM

4 posts, read 33,399 times
But most murders is a personal issue, that would be the case in anywhere in the US, not just Jacksonville.
I do see your point, but I think it largely has to do with the size and area mass of Jacksonville, since the County line begins the City of Jax. Just a thought-

Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM

93 posts, read 329,860 times
A murder is a murder. I am currently located in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area and do admit that Northern Florida is a bit calmer. And there are enough "random" crimes such as break-ins to scare many new comers. Crime is everywhere wherever you go, however I have never seen so many random crimes in my life until I moved here 4 years ago. That is why I am leaving this hell hole and back to the Westcoast. I believe people tend to get "stuck" in Florida because once you're here, it's hard to get out for a lot of people due to lack of funds and/or job related issues. Please don't downplay the crime rates here, they are higher than average and we are one of the top states for crime. And yes I have a friend in the BSO.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:01 AM

93 posts, read 329,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Because that means it's a personal issue & if you're not involved with these type of people, you are safe, as opposed to a city where people just go ballistic in schools, malls, what-have-you, or have alot of break-ins/robberies with murders.
Since when are we safe in Miami? Are you not following the media? There have been plenty of school/mall murders this past year in Miami. And not getting involved with "those type of people" doesn't clear you and make you safe. It makes you SAFER but this place is getting worse by the day because everyone is desperate for money here. And by the way all the people driving the 6 figure cars, are mostly from out of state residents and/or leasing thus giving a false impression to new comers.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
That's correct...while murder is never a good thing, it seems like a lot of people were posting that they were concerned about the murder rate in Jax. My point was is that if you move here, it's not like people are getting killed during random break-ins, car jackings, etc.

It's usually people doing bad things, or domestic issues that get out of control.

You shouldn't be concerned that if you move here, you have a greater fear of getting killed than if you live in your current town.

Hope this makes sense.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 AM

12 posts, read 82,753 times
I am planning on moving from NYC to Jax. I am going to see a home in Springfield on E 12th st. It's a beautiful home at a decent price. What is the deal over there in Jax. I mean I live out here in NYC and sometimes I wonder if Jax is NY 15 years ago. My husband is from Spanish Harlem and I am from Staten Island. We are both working people who wouldn't have a problem getting a job over there. We are getting alot of people telling us not to go over the Matthews Bridge. I have a friend who lives in Arlington and he has lived in some of the worst areas in Ny and he even says stay out of Springfield. So what's going on. Can someone fill me in with the truth not statictics. I feel that statictics are just data accumilated by paper work. I want someone who's been there to be honest and say if this neighborhood is o.k or not. Listen let's be honest crime is everywhere. It doesn't matter if the neighborhood is black, white or hispanic etc. Let's be real sometimes depending where your at, the crime is more in white areas, drug dealing, rapes and all that kind of stuff. It's just covered up a whole lot better. I feel that once I close my door what's going on outside is none of my business as long as it does not effect my family. So what's the real deal out there. Look in NYC whites are moving in Spanish Harlem at an unbelievable rate. Why? Because they can no longer afford to live in the posh neighborhoods that they are use too. And they seem to be handling it fine. Years ago you wouldn't be caught dead in Spanish harlem if you were white. Is the crime in Jax racial or is just because people can't learn to live together.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Springfield is up an coming, but i think the issues have more to do with drugs than race. They have been talking about S'field being reviatalized for 20 years. It's definately much better, but it just depaneds if you are willing to wait it out. Houses are beautiful in that area, but it's definately a risk (living there).

I have no issue with driving through there during the day, and mostly at night (west of main, and south of 8th street). But I definately keep my doors locked.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM

12 posts, read 82,753 times
The house is located on E12th st. I am taking a drive down there at the end of the month to see the house. I told my husband we could drive through there at night. Or even make the agent show the house at night instead of the day. Heck I am trying to buy a home and driving down from nyc. I think i can see it at night if I want. How's the school system... Listen I don't have a problem with people given their opinion about things. But don't give me your opinion by statistics that you find on a web site. Give it to me because you've been there. Hell last night I was watching a documentary called Cocaine Cowboys, by the end of the show it was only obivious that Florida's beautiful Miami was built with coke money, now visited today by tourist all across the world. And Florida's goverment reaps the rewards. I can talk about the rednecks in Starke and Waldo county because I encountered the racisim out there and I was just lost on Rt 301 very late at night. So as a New Yorker visiting another state it is fair to say that the state of Florida is very divided. Different kinds of people don't want to be bothered with other people because "they ain't lighter than a pecan". As long as you believe that "black people belong on the other side of the tracks". These are quotes from the ignerant, very under educated lady who gave me directions at 3:30 a.m. on Rt. 301, the state of Florida will always have problems with crime when people are surpressed and fustrated. I guess that's what makes NY a great place to live in. We all get along and we frown upon any kind of discrimination that we may come across or that our fellow man may encounter. We have no problem giving a helping hand. And any and all kinds of services are available everyone. We are now in 2007 I went over there in 2006 and i felt as if I had stepped into a time machine going back a long way. I will never forget going into East Palatka a seeing an older black man selling a head of cabbage for a dollar. Or a black family, the entire family washing cars for 5 dollars. Don't blame or judge people for doing things to survive, when the state obviously makes it very clear we don't want to help you, so we're going to stick you all in one place until you kill each other off. That burns me. Put yourself in other peoples shoes. What would you do if your children were starving or the rent had to be paid and you had no job ? Where are the people who fight against so much poverty? Where are the activist that are suppose to strive to make changes against these kinds of things. Where are the activist that fight against discrimination? Where are the police who are suppose to monitor bad neighborhoods and try to make a difference? Hell we had 1 black guy shot down to death by 3 white cops.. 50 bullets... by the end of the night every activist that we ever known of was on the news and in the papers, rallies were formed against this kind of behavior. Crime is every where. But sometimes people need to ask why are people behaving this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville