Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 09:41 PM

225 posts, read 173,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You continue to claim how no one is basing anything on facts, yet you make such ridiculous, outlandish, blanket statements about an entire segment of people (buyers) who make up all walks of life - poor, rich, conservative, liberal, etc.

Me thinks it's YOU who doesn't know FACTS.

Again, just an angry fellow who doesn't like the way things are trending around his home.

Love it, btw.

Happy Holidays

You see?? typical...a personal attack...I did no such thing, I attack the content of a post which is permitted, and what YOU did is a low-brow, visceral and clear "name calling", in re asserting something about me personally in re character, but you didn't attack the veracity of my post, didn't you?

Name calling i.e. "angry fellow" doesn't go to the substance of my post one bit lol.....but perhaps you work under different rules.

Sobeit...I'm quite comfortable in my opinions issued....you et al are free to disagree, but you're not free to devolve into slander.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-13-2021, 07:26 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
Well, I'm done with this thread and feeding this troll. I would highly encourage everyone else to do the same.

Just remember, Florida is a great place to live, anyone/everyone is welcome to come here, regardless of what a few random people on message boards want. Liberals/conservatives and anywhere inbetween, America is a wonderful country due to the diversity it affords.

Happy Holidays.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Just remember, Florida is a great place to live, anyone/everyone is welcome to come here,

America is a wonderful country due to the diversity it affords.

Happy Holidays.

With respect, let me attack your content of your post, and NOT personally attack you... as you have feebly attempted to do....fair enough?

My counterpoint is that "anyone/everyone is FREE to come here", people need not be automatically "welcomed" to come here. I do not "welcome" criminals and illegals...I don't "welcome" perverts and sex traffickers (even though they are "free" to come to Florida.

No American is obligated to "welcome" anyone or anything. That's truly being "free" I would submit.

"Welcoming" smacks of "agreement" and support. No American must agree...that's the whole point, and that's a good thing.

Second, The United States of America is a wonderful country due its PRINCIPLES and foundational values we hold as one nation under God. E Pluribus Unum

The United States of America (which I have served) is a "wonderful country" not due to "diversity" (whatever that denotes and connotes), it's wonderful because of the underlying principles that support and allow "diversity". Let's get that straight. Without strong principles, "diversity" would not be allowed to exist.

Unbelievable.

Merry Christmas (not just a "Holiday")

Old 12-13-2021, 08:22 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 808,212 times
As far as business opportunities franchises are always an option. Restaurants are always popular IF you aren’t a novice and really know food and know what you’re doing. Problem right now is staffing. We were up in Philly last month and went to a Spanish Tapas and wine bar ….thought that a place like that would be super popular around here….especially St. John’s county

Old 12-13-2021, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 6,462 times
Here's my experience:

Moved here with my family (wife & son) about 2 years ago from NYC. Coming from that cesspool here's what we like: outstanding public schools, low crime, overall quality of life & low level of stress, quality roads & infrastructure, good outdoors, weather, friendly people, military & first responder respect, friendly people. We love it here. I know it's not a popular concept to advertise, but believe it or not, there's a lot more tolerance and a lot less racism here then up north in NYC.

Now notice, I said nothing of my politics, or the area's politics above. I won't be a hypocrite & tell you not to move...I'm a very recent transplant myself & people naturally want to move where life is good.

With that said, I fly a thin blue line flag in front of my house, we are conservative, so are all of our local friends. Most are active/retired law enforcement/military, small business owners, medical professionals, etc...this isn't West Virginia. You WILL see a lot of Trump flags, Let's go Brandon & that kind of stuff here, it's really in your face so I hope you're OK with agreeing to disagree with people locally.

Overall, yes, this is an affluent conservative area and very much so a "live & let live area", much more so then most expect. You won't find too many locals here, everyone is from somewhere. I personally don't care about anyone's political afiiliation, or anything else that sets them apart, you will find most people of the same mind. I think the big thing here is that life in general is good here, and people don't want changes or waves being made here.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslash View Post
Here's my experience:

Moved here with my family (wife & son) about 2 years ago from NYC.

I'm a very recent transplant myself & people naturally want to move where life is good.

You won't find too many locals here, everyone is from somewhere. I personally don't care about anyone's political afiiliation, or anything else that sets them apart, you will find most people of the same mind.

Like you admit, YOU just got to Florida as a resident - 2 years is nothing.

The salient point is that WE don't want FL to turn into NYC in any shape or form.

You believe that "you will find MOST people of the same mind" about caring about anyone's political affiliation" ??

With a great deal respect, you are totally mistaken about asserting or claiming anything about "most peoples'" minds. How on earth do you really know that based on such limited experience of moving to FL for a mere 2 years as you stated? Your spending only 2 years here is not descriptive of a prioi knowledge established over a continuum. I'm a native and it's a bit premature you, a self- described "very recent transplant" to attempt to vouch for, or have intimate knowledge of what's in the deep "minds" of natives, locals and very longtime residents. It's your opinion, which is fine, great and dandy.....but it does not make your observation or assertion even close to the facts established on the ground. Therefore it seems to be a foolish assertion, albeit your own....fine. My retort is that your simple claim seems shallow and premature, but it's "your world" I suppose, but it is not reflective of my years of my experience with real people of FL.

One difficulty of new transplants is that they convince themselves (and others) that they are newly-minted experts on the socio-cultural and political fabric of FL.....we, as Floridians, seldom move to other states and begin to be an expert or sage about the state or city we just moved to. I find that odd and inappropriate....in some ways it's downright silly.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-13-2021, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 6,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyperTyper View Post
Like you admit, YOU just got to Florida as a resident - 2 years is nothing.

The salient point is that WE don't want FL to turn into NYC in any shape or form.

You believe that "you will find MOST people of the same mind" about caring about anyone's political affiliation" ??

With a great deal respect, you are totally mistaken about asserting or claiming anything about "most peoples'" minds. How on earth do you really know that based on such limited experience of moving to FL for a mere 2 years as you stated? Your spending only 2 years here is not descriptive of a prioi knowledge established over a continuum. I'm a native and it's a bit premature you, a self- described "very recent transplant" to attempt to vouch for, or have intimate knowledge of what's in the deep "minds" of natives, locals and very longtime residents. It's your opinion, which is fine, great and dandy.....but it does not make your observation or assertion even close to the facts established on the ground. Therefore it seems to be a foolish assertion, albeit your own....fine. My retort is that your simple claim seems shallow and premature, but it's "your world" I suppose, but it is not reflective of my years of my experience with real people of FL.

One difficulty of new transplants is that they convince themselves (and others) that they are newly-minted experts on the socio-cultural and political fabric of FL.....we, as Floridians, seldom move to other states and begin to be an expert or sage about the state or city we just moved to. I find that odd and inappropriate....in some ways it's downright silly.

Merry Christmas
Yes, of the same mind, as in I don't care, neither do most people...but then again, I'm not a mind reader, nor do I aspire to be. I can only speak for myself and my social circle.
"Real people" of Florida? A generation ago, this used to be an empty swampland.. As I mentioned, there aren't many true locals here...sure a few more further inland, but I don't live there..
Most reasonable people, myself included, don't want this part of FL to turn into wherever we fled from...as I said, I like it here, I moved here for a reason and don't want a thing to change to resemble NYC or anything related to it ( ok other then the food, but that's a whole differnt topic).
and yes I get your merry christmas/bless your heart reference, but I'm not stooping to your level. You made that point "salient" as you say. Kick rocks guy

Last edited by gunslash; 12-13-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 11:38 AM

Gee, you sound a bit angry, friend...but I understand frustration, we all get that way sometimes.

Enjoy!

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-13-2021, 01:41 PM

44 posts, read 53,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyperTyper View Post
With respect, let me attack your content of your post, and NOT personally attack you... as you have feebly attempted to do....fair enough?

My counterpoint is that "anyone/everyone is FREE to come here", people need not be automatically "welcomed" to come here. I do not "welcome" criminals and illegals...I don't "welcome" perverts and sex traffickers (even though they are "free" to come to Florida.

No American is obligated to "welcome" anyone or anything. That's truly being "free" I would submit.

"Welcoming" smacks of "agreement" and support. No American must agree...that's the whole point, and that's a good thing.

Second, The United States of America is a wonderful country due its PRINCIPLES and foundational values we hold as one nation under God. E Pluribus Unum

The United States of America (which I have served) is a "wonderful country" not due to "diversity" (whatever that denotes and connotes), it's wonderful because of the underlying principles that support and allow "diversity". Let's get that straight. Without strong principles, "diversity" would not be allowed to exist.

Unbelievable.

Merry Christmas (not just a "Holiday")
I'll ignore all your misguided rhetoric and some of your full-on personal attacks and concentrate on your major complaint - no one can live here but native Floridians.

When did your family move here? I'll start - this is an excerpt from something my sister who does the family ancestor stuff wrote a few years ago.

"My mother's family had a cotton farm on the Alabama/Florida border, (circa about 1820s, before Florida was a state) quite a large and successful business. They bought more unwanted and nonfarmable land and went into the turpentine business throughout the North Florida area above the Apalachicola area to the Alabama line. One branched into the railroad business and was instrumental in moving the timber out of the area. That grandfather moved with the railroad to the St Augustine area then eventually ended up in Winter Park area in the late 1880's, his son was in the 3rd or 4th graduating class of Rollins College the oldest college in Florida.

My dad's grandfather moved to Flordia in the early 1900's to help rebuild the port of Jacksonville. He was a marine Architect and that sort of became the family business, well architecture did. My dad's family has built commercial buildings in Jacksonville, St Augustine, Miami, Orlando, buildings that still stand today.

My parents met at UF and moved to Pittsburg for grad school before returning to Winter Park where I was born. My family remained in the Winter Park area till my parents retired to Naples."

Can't get much more Flordia native than that! I was born in WP as well and left to make my way away from the family, but have decided to return. Currently - as in 3 days - moving to Naples. At least temporarily.

You have said in previous posts you are a trained urban planner I believe, you have also claimed you have served in the military. If you served, then you left Florida, and returned, so what are you doing now?

Your turn...

oh wait, you will reply that the intraweb (I think that is a term you used) is full of anonymous people who claim whatever...blah blah blah. Why would I answer you...blah, blah blah.

The amount of joy you get out of posting on this forum really confounds me. My wife warned me about getting in too deep, but I'm bored so...

And BTW my parents are democrats, both very active in democratic causes at the local and district levels for over 60 years. So don't even get me started on what you term to be left leaning demoncrats or whatever the term of the day is.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:13 PM

122 posts, read 254,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDude View Post
Sad thing is there's plenty of people like SkyperTyper (ST) who talk/act like him locally in NE FL. But he is outnumbered by a lot of nice non a-s-s hole conservatives who happened to vote for Trump in 16/20.

I am a libertarian who doesn't like the Big Government fan that is Trump. I have tons of friends who voted for Trump in 16/20. They aren't a-s-s holes or flip you off in your face. They are the type who give their shirts off their back for me. I know Biden voters who would have done the same for me.

The really coco for coco puffs in both the right and the left are nuts! After all, they are part of the same bird!!!!

St. Johns County is too rich for my blood, but I don't have a family and that lifestyle isn't for me. But for those who love St. Johns County, they love it! I have relatives who love St. Johns County...but I am a man of modest means.
Thank you for your common sense post. It is nice to see folks like SkyperTyper being outvoted by some of his own, not literally, but hopefully you get my point. We are center left but appreciate all sensible points of view of which yours appears to be one. We would never vote for Trump though as in our opinion his existence promotes hate to any opposition.

ST has also been outvoted by others here and hopefully will take the hint.

Happy and healthy holiday season to you and yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville