Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 05:40 AM

10 posts, read 11,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Oh wow, that would almost be a deal breaker right there unless they had bus service to/from the neighborhood. Of course, this IS St Johns County and next year they'll likely be re-zoned over here to Patriot Oaks. Because, you know, we're only at roughly 385% capacity currently.
We were told there was bus service if you were over two miles from the school. For me, the main concern is the length of the commute to school for the kids but it seems to be 15 minutes from CO to PIA so maybe it's common, it does seem to be a lot though (we currently live 0.5 miles from the elementary school so that's a big difference).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 06:12 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,057 times
We live < 5 minutes from OPE. School lets out at 2:45. My kid gets off the bus at 3:15. I can only imagine how long it takes for kids in BL to get home.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:30 AM

661 posts, read 866,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulineBr View Post
We have looked at Twenty Mile and like the houses there better than Coastal Oaks (bigger, a bit more yard space) but since the time to get to CO (we have family there) is the same whether in Twenty Mile or Beacon Lake and the schools are already different, we figured maybe we could have even more space and look in BL as well.

@gromicide, Why would you choose Twenty Mile over anything in the Beachwalk area?
I would choose twenty mile over anything else in Nocatee but in general Nocatee over Beachwalk. Amenities, events, proximity to the beach, more trees/nature and the Nocatee town center really feels like it's just for Nocatee even though it's all public. Other master planned neighborhoods do the same thing with a Publix anchoring other stores and dining but they are stuck on major roadways.

In fairness, Nocatee has been around for a while and beachwalk area is still growing with new commercial stuff popping up...

Old 08-11-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
We live < 5 minutes from OPE. School lets out at 2:45. My kid gets off the bus at 3:15. I can only imagine how long it takes for kids in BL to get home.
Definitely a consideration (it worries me even more in the morning, how early they must have to leave), thanks for sharing!

Old 08-11-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I would choose twenty mile over anything else in Nocatee but in general Nocatee over Beachwalk. Amenities, events, proximity to the beach, more trees/nature and the Nocatee town center really feels like it's just for Nocatee even though it's all public. Other master planned neighborhoods do the same thing with a Publix anchoring other stores and dining but they are stuck on major roadways.

In fairness, Nocatee has been around for a while and beachwalk area is still growing with new commercial stuff popping up...
It makes sense, appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Old 08-27-2022, 07:44 AM

93 posts, read 158,220 times
I personally wouldn't buy a house in Beacon Lake/Creekside/Beachwalk. I'd look at Nocatee, or even further west at the neighborhoods along 210 -- areas zoned for Liberty Pines/Patriot Oaks.

The Beachwalk area is just...in the middle of nowhere, next to a truck stop. I'm sure the neighborhoods are beautiful with gorgeous pools and other amenities, but the area around them is just an empty highway.

Also, St Johns County schools are extremely over crowded. Unless you're buying walking distance to a school, expect that your kids will be rezoned. The older, more established an area is, the more stable the school zoning is likely to be. And Beacon Lake kids currently are bussed pretty far away -- I'm sure some of them are on the bus close to an hour.

Nocatee isn't my personal choice of where to live, but it's well established, it has wonderful amenities, and the setting is beautiful. It's a huge area, and the whole area is well landscaped and planned out. And there are great restaurants and at least a few shopping options right in Nocatee. I'm sure you could find a house you like there -- there are a lot more neighborhoods than just Coastal Oaks.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:48 AM

Thanks, Jessica, I appreciate you sharing your opinion, very useful.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:13 PM

116 posts, read 143,559 times
I just put a buyer into new construction at Beacon Lake a few months ago. It was relatively smooth working with Dreamfinders (the builders), and my clients do like it there. Not much going on in the area right now except the new construction, but that is quickly changing. The entire northern area of Saint Johns County is growing like crazy with housing and amenities, so I imagine it will become a bustling area over time. They didn't have kids yet so I can't claim to know much first hand about the schools except that the currently zoned school is the #3 rated school in FL, and apparently there are plans to build almost 20 more (per the Beacon Lake newsletters I now receive). I didn't think they got much house or land for what they spent, but over there you are paying a premium for St. Johns school system, and as always a premium for new construction. To each their own. The market was also a little hotter then, so I imagine you might have more selection now, and upcoming. I guess the real question is what you're looking for and how much you have to spend. These questions are always a little harder without knowing that info.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minna_reid View Post
I just put a buyer into new construction at Beacon Lake a few months ago. It was relatively smooth working with Dreamfinders (the builders), and my clients do like it there. Not much going on in the area right now except the new construction, but that is quickly changing. The entire northern area of Saint Johns County is growing like crazy with housing and amenities, so I imagine it will become a bustling area over time. They didn't have kids yet so I can't claim to know much first hand about the schools except that the currently zoned school is the #3 rated school in FL, and apparently there are plans to build almost 20 more (per the Beacon Lake newsletters I now receive). I didn't think they got much house or land for what they spent, but over there you are paying a premium for St. Johns school system, and as always a premium for new construction. To each their own. The market was also a little hotter then, so I imagine you might have more selection now, and upcoming. I guess the real question is what you're looking for and how much you have to spend. These questions are always a little harder without knowing that info.
Thanks for the insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville