Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 AM

27 posts, read 211,736 times

Advertisements

Hi all- Will be returning to Jax after a 4 year absence - previously lived there 20 years but much has changed. Am looking for a school for my daughter, (Duval or St Johns) who will be repeating kindergarten -- has some developmental delays due to neglect in third world country orphanage before we adopted her. She's bright, sweet and social, but "lost" the first 3 years of her life, so she's not developmentally caught up to her biological age (7). She also had a very poor preschool experience, with no basics before kindergarten. I'm a former preschool/elementary school teacher, so have been on "both sides of the table." I don't want to rule out exceptional schools, but have found that they are often overwhelmed with children who have more profound needs, so the ones with mild needs seem to get left behind. Awareness of not being able to keep up academically with peers also seems to lead to a lack of trying/confidence/performance anxiety, so looking for an inclusive environment that works well with students' needs. We've tried both public and private and found that parents can legally request more services (for children with an IEP) in public schools, and receive them if the school is a good one, with dedicated staff and a good principal. Private schools are for high achievers and focus on FCAT scores. McKay scholarships can only be used one time, so if the private school isn't a fit, there's no way to try another. Any advice on good public schools that know how to work with kids who are behind and have a dedicated principal, teachers, and staff? Thanks, and can't wait to get back home to Jax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 AM

147 posts, read 559,239 times
Welcome home! The Duval County Public Schools are having a difficult time of it. We're recovering financially from Joseph Weise's departure and the Charlie Crist budget cuts. My experience with the school system has been both fantastic and poor. It seems to me, and this is only my experience I can not speak for others, that unless your child is an overschieving scholar, there's not a crack small enough for a so-so student or a student with special considerations to slip through.

My sister is an educator and moved to St. Johns County so that her children could benefit from the school system there.

If you want to stay in Duval County, you may want to look into Catholic schools. One of my children found a haven there and the tuition was reasonable, even though we're not Catholic. If you're a member of the parish it's amazingly affordable.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Jacksonville/st Johns public schools for children with delays

Thanks for the feedback. I actually taught at a Catholic school in Jax beach and northside years ago. I was hoping the school system had changed. It seems to be that way in the entire state of Florida, but we have been lucky here in finding a good one -- after dealing with some really bad ones public and private. The thing is -- a school can be great for a year or two and then go downhill, so one never knows. My experience when living in Ponte Vedra with Ocean Palms was not good. The programs they had were almost non-existent and not worth the system even wasting the money on. They did provide programs for profoundly delayed/disabled though. One thing I've been told about St. Johns (and I watched people flock to clay county for years to get out of Duval's school system) is that the services for children and elderly -- any special needs -- are few and far between simply because of less being allocated to the population as our legislators rules apply. This is my biggest fear of returning to Jax -- the school system. But I have to believe that somewhere there is a good school among the system. As I've seen while living here, the school system can be lousy, but if there's a school with the right principal and dedicated staff, they "work behind the scenes" to make it work. I did that when I taught -- I was a maverick and want to believe there are other mavericks out there. What other road can I take? Thanks and keep the advice coming, it's bound to lead to the right place. What about PV/PV and Rawlings?

Old 06-01-2008, 05:16 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,159 times
There are many excellent schools within Duval, so discounting all of our schools here is premature. Yes, we're facing budget woes, but that doesn't mean that all classes in all schools aren't still giving their best when working with the children.

First off, I would take your child to child find...have her tested and depending on the findings, placement will then help. I have to say that most of the children with developmental delays (except for Prek) are now in basic ed classrooms, via inclusion and are given the added support by the inclusion teachers.

This is pretty much the same in other counties as well....so discounting Duval schools is premature. As I said, it all depends on what exceptionality your child is diagnosed with.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM

147 posts, read 559,239 times
My sister's overall experience with PV/PV and Rawlings was positive; however, none of her children have special needs.

Sorry to sound so sour re: the Duval County Public School System...I've just recently had a very unplesant experience with the administrators at one of the magnet high schools. To say that they were unresponsive would be an understatement. I do trust that Ed Pratt-Dannals will give 100% to turning things around, I just fear that the mountain he has to climb will be too steep and that he'll run out of oxygen before he gets to the top.

Again, I urge you to look into Catholic Schools or other affordable private schools for your child.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback all, and keep it coming. I've heard good things about PV/PV and lived in that area before. A friend has her son there and loves it, but he doesn't have special needs. I agree that I don't want to discount any school, because while we were here in Brevard County, my daughter had an unbelievably unacceptable pre school experience, so I just pulled her out. The staff and principal looked the other way (not just with her, but many stories came out afterward of other children). Had a not so good experience at a Christian private pre school (very expensive), but wouldn't you know it, the year after, they "cleaned house" and a new headmaster and minister took over and straightened it out. Timing is everything I guess. She has now just finished a public kindergarten that I heard about through members of the local mom's club who preferred it over before mentioned private school. A truly wonderful school, couldn't ask for better -- having been an educator myself, it's the kind of school I'd love to teach in -- and my standards are very high. I wouldn't have to do Child Find, as we've already done that here, and at our recent IEP meeting last week, they gave me what I needed and said I wouldn't have to repeat it when transferring to another county. Also, the principal and staff asked that the school/school system, please call them and speak directly with them about her -- they really do go the extra mile, so it's hard to leave this behind. My daughter was adopted from a third world country and when we got her at a year old, she was barely alive. Less than 10 lbs., abused, sick, neglected, starved, couldn't sit up or roll over -- like a limp noodle. She spent three years doing in home OT, speech, PT, healing. Her life began, with disabilities, at age 3. So although she's biologically age 7 she is tiny and is developmentally age 4. She is happy, bright, has been tested by many docs in Jax, Brevard, private psychologists, school psychologists, therapists, etc. Fine motor skills may or may not fully develop over time due to the fact that she couldn't use her hands/arms for almost 2 years (no muscle tone) and has trouble writing. Sher speech is improving, she's not as strong as other children but has a heart like a lion and is extremely inventive, imaginative, great memory, socializes very well, great attitude, compassionate, kind, but has the attention span of a 4 year old. It's almost as if she's just not ready yet to DO the academics required although she loves the academic environment and tries her best. Responds very well to rote method teaching. Does well with one on one help or very small group, but also the dynamics of a regular classroom (except she loses her focus then). She's not your typical kindergartner -- very innocent -- not even like the 4 year olds going on 14. Doesn't care for things inappropriate for her age level (thank goodness!!!) As others and professionals have advised me, she will get there (as far as her fine motor skills improve -- may take years or always have problems), but it will be when she's ready, as she's just not 7 regardless of her birthdate and she has overcome obstacles that most could not. With daily, consistent practice and/or tutorinig, she'd do well. She also doesn't have friends (outside of school) or family, except for my husband and I, so she doesn't have someone to model from (life circumstances with us moving and caring for aging/dying parents, and it just doesn't exist here as in Jax). Like adults, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. The difference is that as adults, we have learned coping mechanisms over the years. So that's my long story.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,450,461 times
She's fortunate to have you as her mom and advocate, CindyTer, and I have no doubt you'll find the right school for her .

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,291 times
Having gone through the Duval Public school system with my 5 children and now 8 grandchildren my advice would be to try University Christian school on University Blvd.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:45 PM

Continued thanks for the feedback. Any comments and/or experience with PV/PV /Rawlings elementary or Ocean Palms, especially in terms of programs for ex. ed. or methods of inclusion, etc.? How about a local child advocate/group who advises and has familiarity with this. Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 PM

549 posts, read 2,205,159 times
C.A.R.D. should be able to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: