Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
Well, In FL probably not. esp for DUI. Other states are much more forgiving for First Offenders. eg. Move to set aside conviction and expunge.
In Florida, you can't expunge a conviction. You can expunge an arrest if the charges were dropped or not filed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
It's about consequences. I can't believe that he followed the rules all year long and, with one disgression, was booted from the ceremony. His dad should not aid him in thinking that he is a victim.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin3 View Post
He wanted to have his son punished the old fashion way with some work!
Some work? I thought the old fashion way was a good paddling on the behind.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,462 times
Rules are rules, weather or not you like the consequences, you broke a rule there for there will be a consequences.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
My younger brother decided he didn't like PE and refused to go the last two months of HS. Guess what? He didn't graduate. Dumbest move he ever made but .. it was his life and his dumb decision.

Like other posters commented, there has to be more to this story. I remember, vaguely, that for leaving campus (AWOL) we were issued warnings and then a two-day vacation. There definitely is more to the story and I would advise his dad to keep pushing for an answer. Is he not allowed to graduate and being expelled or is he not being allowed to walk at graduation? Those are two different things here. Maybe they think not being able to walk at graduation is an honor he doesn't deserve right now and is a just punishment?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I would hope this was not the first attempt by the school to reprimand the kid for skipping class. For a first reprimand, it's a pretty steep one.

Is this the first time the father attempted speaking to the principal? Why is everything occurring at the 11th hour??

Sounds like a communication breakdown. This should have been addressed earlier in the year, either initiated by the school or by the parent - whomever had the greater interest in this child .

Old 05-31-2008, 10:29 PM

75 posts, read 204,024 times
If an A-B student doesn't make it to all the classes and still gets A s & B s then maybe he doesn't need to be in class. If I went to the school to talk to the principle about my son, I would expect to be given a face to face. Theres alot of stupid rules that just serve to create more problems in our society by mandating harsh penalty's for minor violations. Is this what we are teaching in our schools, that there is NO fair justice or fair evaluation for getting the sentence to fit the crime? No compromise? I hope he becomes a cop and pulls some of you over for something you don't think you have done and see how you feel about things then! Yeh theres more to the story. To this kid school was boring so he took off. Is school some sort of prison? I thought it was a place to learn. If the kid gets all A & B s then whats the big deal. In todays world just about everyone has a cell phone so when a kid gets to be 16 and can work whats the big deal? If he's old enough to work and drive then whats with the prison act? What world are you living in? Back in 1975 they let us leave school whenever we didn't have a class. And as long as we kept our grades up we were not forced to attend all our classes. This really made it easier on the teachers. Smaller class,more attention! Why would an A student have to be in class? Why punish a good student?
How about challenging him or her by offering some other things to learn. Oh no money? Gee I guess its going into planting palm trees along the roads and paying our heads of the county so they can waste our money and come up with new ways to fleece us like the $60 storm water bill. I'm glad everyone on here is so happy with everything. God Help Us!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,640 times
So you're saying that this child is an AB honor student that left the campus once and now is denied participation in the graduation ceremony? If it was only one offense, then yes, I'd say the punishment doesn't fit the 'crime', but I'm willing to bet that it's not the first offense and that there's a good deal more to all of this. Sure sounds like this child was probably leaving campus often, which is a violation of the rules.
Quote:
Yeh theres more to the story. To this kid school was boring so he took off.
What values would this mindset teach the child who had violated rules, and is angry that he was punished for doing so...
Quote:
I hope he becomes a cop and pulls some of you over for something you don't think you have done and see how you feel about things then!
I can appreciate your anger over other issues, such as wasteful spending, but that has nothing to do with the child being punished for what they did wrong.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
To this kid school was boring so he took off. Is school some sort of prison? I thought it was a place to learn. If the kid gets all A & B s then whats the big deal.
I would say that he did learn there. He learned a valuable lesson- follow the rules or face the consequences. I'm sorry that school was boring for him. Work can be boring, too. But if he does this on a job, he will be fired. So, yes, I'd say that school taught him a very valuable lesson. That he is not above the rules, A student or not.

Oh, and if he becomes a cop, he better really be ready to follow the rules. Failure to do so could result in much more grave consequences than just being terminated.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:24 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
If an A-B student doesn't make it to all the classes and still gets A s & B s then maybe he doesn't need to be in class. If I went to the school to talk to the principle about my son, I would expect to be given a face to face. Theres alot of stupid rules that just serve to create more problems in our society by mandating harsh penalty's for minor violations. Is this what we are teaching in our schools, that there is NO fair justice or fair evaluation for getting the sentence to fit the crime? No compromise? I hope he becomes a cop and pulls some of you over for something you don't think you have done and see how you feel about things then! Yeh theres more to the story. To this kid school was boring so he took off. Is school some sort of prison? I thought it was a place to learn. If the kid gets all A & B s then whats the big deal. In todays world just about everyone has a cell phone so when a kid gets to be 16 and can work whats the big deal? If he's old enough to work and drive then whats with the prison act? What world are you living in? Back in 1975 they let us leave school whenever we didn't have a class. And as long as we kept our grades up we were not forced to attend all our classes. This really made it easier on the teachers. Smaller class,more attention! Why would an A student have to be in class? Why punish a good student?
How about challenging him or her by offering some other things to learn. Oh no money? Gee I guess its going into planting palm trees along the roads and paying our heads of the county so they can waste our money and come up with new ways to fleece us like the $60 storm water bill. I'm glad everyone on here is so happy with everything. God Help Us!
you don't get to make the rules, your son doesn't get to decide which rules to follow and which ones he can break. what were the rules 30 years ago is meaningless, and your side rants make me understand why nobody there wanted to deal with you this time, they've probably tired of listening to your nonsense.
I say bravo to school's leaders they tried to teach your son an important life lesson, breaking the rules has consequences, too bad you are subverting the kids education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville