U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,643 times

Advertisements

Hey all...I am thinking of moving to Jacksonville this winter and have a question. I'm coming down from Ohio, so I am extremely naive about living anywhere else...especially a coastal community. That being said, I would think it would be nice to live as close to the beach as I can find. I'm looking to rent (about $600-$700/month for a one bedroom apt.) and have found several places in Atlantic Beach and thereabout in that price range. Here's where my naivity sets in....First off, is Atlantic Beach a nice area to be in? And secondly, why aren't these apartments outrageously priced? What are the drawbacks of living around there? Up here, anything near the stupid river is priced for doctors and execs only. While we're at it...I was turned off to Melbourne because it doesn't look like there's any work there unless you're an astronaut or can build rockets (somewhat kidding!)...so I'm looking at Jax now because it seems to have a great job market. I have no college degree, but 12 years of office experience, so I would think it wouldn't be as tough to find a job here. Any insight would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 AM

8,204 posts, read 33,327,677 times
Atlantic Beach is nice, but there are some parts on the edges where it's not as nice.

The average rental price in Jacksonville is $739, so you could use that as a guide. $600 is a low rental price for Jacksonville, so I'd be leery of something that inexpensive at the beach.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 AM

1,641 posts, read 4,719,236 times
I really wouldn't recommend anyone moving unless they have 6 months savings or a secure job offer. Jax may have a good job market, but you are going to be more limited without having a college degree. There are generally hundreds of applicants for office jobs, at least according to some employers I've spoken to.

Best of luck to you, whatever your decision is.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM

147 posts, read 521,828 times
The rental price will vary due to the location...usually the rule is, the closer to water the higher the price...on anything! Best of luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 31,311 times
Default "Beachies"

Also look at Neptune Beach, just south of Atlantic Beach. My daughter works for an Apt. Mgmt. Co. there, and the rent starts around $590 for an efficiency, (she lives there also). Their one bedrooms are not much more. It's within walking distance to schools and parks, and of course, the OCEAN!!
My grandkids love it there. Surf everyday! It's like "small town living". They say when you're a "Beachie", you don't want to cross the Intercoastal...where the "Townies" are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville