Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,103,650 times

Advertisements

Wow that storm that blew through the Southside yesterday was quite the experience

We had just pulled into our neighborhood and it got so bad we had to pull over about 10 houses before ours
We were sitting there being slammed by what I found out were 60 to 70 mph winds gusts and hail ranging from pea to golf ball size, after 10 mins it eased up enough so we could get into our driveway where we sat for another 20 mins till the hail stopped
There were quite a few trees down in our neighborhood a few houses on the lake received damage to the soffits and one house had 4 broken windows

Other than lots of shredded plants the only damage we had was a new "design pattern" on the hood and trunk of our autos

here are a couple pictures I took of the "hail piles" in front of our house

it seemed to pile up in the front door alcove

the weird thing is we have friends that live across 9A from us and they had very little hail

So did you have hail ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:04 AM

725 posts, read 2,570,005 times
Cool pictures. Yes, our son was working at the Town Center when the hail came. One car is pretty damaged. It sucks.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,022,953 times
Wow, it really accumulated for you. We had same size hail here in Mandarin, but it melted quite quickly. We had two big limbs crack off on our pine tree, but no damage at all. That was some storm.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,004,072 times
Holy cow! I have seen tiny sleet here in north Florida, but never hail like that!

(I used to see plenty of hail in Denver though, one particular storm shredded my backyard into pesto.)
It's good to get moisture, but not dents on your vehicle.

Up here in Fernandina, we had a nice rainstorm yesterday, but that after about 20 minutes, the sun returned.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:47 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,729,783 times
Oh, Hail No! That is awful. Is your roof ok? Did your cars get pelted?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 AM

I spent the morning talking to our insurance company and also to an auto body shop
they told me they try using the dent wizzard type of removal unless there are more than 20 or 30 "dimples"

there were still piles of hail at 8:30 last night

the house across the street ended up with holes in material that surrounds the windows

very strange

and of course wouldn't you know the new landscape project I just finished for my neighbor 70 % of the plant material we put in is all shredded

Old 06-02-2008, 08:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,976,956 times
Wow! Amazing what a couple of miles' difference makes. Here on the other side of the river we got some big-time rain and a couple of decent thunderboomers, but that was it.

So so sorry to hear about all the damage!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:54 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,961,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Wow! Amazing what a couple of miles' difference makes. Here on the other side of the river we got some big-time rain and a couple of decent thunderboomers, but that was it.

So so sorry to hear about all the damage!
we only had a little rain and no hail at the beach

Old 06-02-2008, 11:41 AM

ok the beginning est on the acura is $3100 but the auto body guy said he expects it to be around $4k to $4500 once they get into it
I dont think the 4 runner got as much damage probably because we were 8 houses down form ours because we couldnt see to drive any farther and there seemed to be more hail & damage farther down the street which is really weird
it goes for an est on wed
the arbor and one of the trees blew over at the school garden
I know we needed the rain but ........

Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 44,122 times
I was driving north on 9A headed up towards Butler Blvd when it hit. Boy, was it frightening! People were pulling over but everyone else was moving along at about 10mph so I just stayed the course seeing clearing skies up ahead. Thankfully my car did not have any damage which I find amazing as it sounded like rocks hitting my car. There were several motorcycles pulled over but some nice folks must have let them wait it out in their cars as there were no people standing out in it. So sorry Karla that you had so much damage. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt. Certainly gave this northern transplant a scare!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville