Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times

Advertisements

Poor gorgeet has to live in a million dollar ugly home, and suffer traffic. Boo Hoo.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM

147 posts, read 559,322 times
I've lived here since I was a small child and yes, we have our challenges, but really I think you've looked at the Jacksonville glass half empty! I grew up in Avondale which is one of MANY beautful, friendly, community minded neighborhoods in town. And to say that we're devoid of character is not at all true...haven't you met any of our Southern eccentrics??

Yes, you'll get stuck in traffic is you're living in one place and trying to get to another for work with the other cazillion commuters...try planning your life so that you're driving against traffic.

I certainly do take offense regarding your statement that the emblem of Jacksonville should be a fat woman, smoking a cigarette with a baby seat in the back of her car while talking on the cell phone while running a red light. I take pride in the fact that Jacksonville has retained a great deal of southern charm, tradition and hospitality throughout the years. If your property taxes are indeed $16,800 annually and you're encountering your "emblem" on a regular basis in your neck of the woods, I'd call Jim Overton and try to get those taxes lowered toute suite!!

Old 06-02-2008, 04:00 PM

994 posts, read 1,544,575 times
I must confess that I didn't write that. It was a quote from someone who lived there, I thought it was hillarious, and I wanted to see what kind of response it provoked.
My work sent me there a couple of times while working, and I actually liked it a lot. There were bands playing on the waterfront, and my hotel was nice, but I was wondering why someone could have such a strong negative opinion.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:53 PM

459 posts, read 1,417,487 times
lol, i thought it was pretty funny.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM

147 posts, read 559,322 times
Oh I'm just doubled over and can't catch my breath...I simply disolve in laughter EVERY time someone trashes my hometown. I'm looking, but missing the humour in your post gorgeet. With all due respect. go pick on another town...you've missed the mark on Jacksonville!!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
One person's comedian is another person's troll.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
One person's comedian is another person's troll.

EDIT- Woah, I just read that post above....

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-02-2008 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: UPDATE

Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 PM

541 posts, read 2,286,100 times
Jacksonville's Emblem Should be a "Redneck looking fella smoking a cigarette while pulling his raised 4 door gas guzzling truck into a hooters restaurant. In the bed of his truck is a goat and two of his kids. Those kids are holding a rebel flag in one hand and a bible in the other." Below the emblem there is a waving ribbon of text that says: "Unnecessarily Spawled, Unprogressive, Redneck, Slow, Small, Southern Town!"

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeet View Post
I must confess that I didn't write that. It was a quote from someone who lived there, I thought it was hillarious, and I wanted to see what kind of response it provoked.
My work sent me there a couple of times while working, and I actually liked it a lot. There were bands playing on the waterfront, and my hotel was nice, but I was wondering why someone could have such a strong negative opinion.
Whoever wrote it, it's sort of counterproductive to selling their home, isn't it?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:44 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
Jacksonville's Emblem Should be a "Redneck looking fella smoking a cigarette while pulling his raised 4 door gas guzzling truck into a hooters restaurant. In the bed of his truck is a goat and two of his kids. Those kids are holding a rebel flag in one hand and a bible in the other." Below the emblem there is a waving ribbon of text that says: "Unnecessarily Spawled, Unprogressive, Redneck, Slow, Small, Southern Town!"
ha ha!!!! i think you have outdone yourself here... is the goat his wife and mother to the two children? i think you might see something like that happen on the westsyeeeeeede of jax, on the reals. or actually, the northside for that matter. driving from the airport last month, i saw in the span of thirty feet, a mulleted old guy wearing jean shorts riding a ten-speed past a bar that had a gigantic confederate flag flying over it. THAT is what should should appear on the emblem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: