Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
motion sensing sprinkler head that is used to deter small animals. rig it with pepper spray or something evil.
does the door open inward? put some steel horizontal bars behind it so can't be kicked in.

or have some neighborhood stake out.
completely and totally a bad idea, in our liberal and litigious world the bad guy can sue you for booby trapping your home and causing him injury. Also how would you have it work that some innocent like a deliveryman wouldn't be sprayed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
completely and totally a bad idea, in our liberal and litigious world the bad guy can sue you for booby trapping your home and causing him injury. Also how would you have it work that some innocent like a deliveryman wouldn't be sprayed
I don't know if this is true or not, but I "heard" this story about a burglar who broken into someones house and decided to skinny dip in their pool, and he drowned, and then the burglar sued and won. Either way, I believe it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Default A midnight delivery?

Quote:
A delivery man does not show up at night and try to use a key. In case anyone is unfamiliar with with, Florida passed a law last year that effectively said that an intruder does not have to be inside your house in order for you to use deadly force to protect your property.

My advice...take a long nap, wake up, drink some coffee...turn on lights, unlock door...load gun, sit and wait. When intruder enters, ask for immediate explanation...if none can be given, pull trigger.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:03 AM

53 posts, read 305,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't know if this is true or not, but I "heard" this story about a burglar who broken into someones house and decided to skinny dip in their pool, and he drowned, and then the burglar sued and won. Either way, I believe it.
If the burglar drowns in your swimming pool, how could he sue?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
A delivery man does not show up at night and try to use a key. In case anyone is unfamiliar with with, Florida passed a law last year that effectively said that an intruder does not have to be inside your house in order for you to use deadly force to protect your property.

My advice...take a long nap, wake up, drink some coffee...turn on lights, unlock door...load gun, sit and wait. When intruder enters, ask for immediate explanation...if none can be given, pull trigger.
using deadly force to protect yourself and setting up a booby trap are 2 unrelated things, you can argue all you want to but there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. Also if someone does enter your home it would be quite foolish to engage them with questions, shoot first then clean up the mess

Old 06-04-2008, 10:16 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Default I agree

Quote:
using deadly force to protect yourself and setting up a booby trap are 2 unrelated things, you can argue all you want to but there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. Also if someone does enter your home it would be quite foolish to engage them with questions, shoot first then clean up the mess
I agree with you on all this.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenciacondo View Post
If the burglar drowns in your swimming pool, how could he sue?
The burglar claimed that the owner was negligent and should of put up a security fence.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The burglar claimed that the owner was negligent and should of put up a security fence.
Who is buried in Grant's tomb??

Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM

57 posts, read 536,509 times
I have lived with fear similar to yours because I used to live in an area in another state that had a lot of home invasions.

I personally am anti-gun -- could be used against you, you could use it on someone who doesn't deserve it, if you have children they or their friends could use it...there are plenty of other ways to try to ensure your safety without trying to take the law into your own hands. And what if someone breaks in while you're not home and steals your gun? Definitely don't need more of those on the street.

I'm surprised the dogs didn't scare them off...I was confused about whether your security system was ON when they tried to get in. We had a great system in our last house, we set it every time we left and every time we went to bed and it was LOUD when it went off (I accidentally set if off a few times...the signal went right to the security company and they immediately called the house to see if I was ok...and would dispatch an officer quickly. You could also set it to chime if a door opened.

I agree that you should keep the lights BLAZING at night (have more installed around your house if necessary). And what about a neighborhood security patrol? Is there one or can you rally the neighbors to try to do one? We had a security officer driving around periodically and I think the presence of cop cars is a good deterrent to criminals...we paid annual dues to have it and they would even swing by our house when we were out of town to check on it, which was comforting.

Other than that... make sure phone and cell phone are within your reach, especially at night. And adding more locks like other posters suggested can't hurt.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovintoJax View Post
I have lived with fear similar to yours because I used to live in an area in another state that had a lot of home invasions.

I personally am anti-gun -- could be used against you, you could use it on someone who doesn't deserve it, if you have children they or their friends could use it...there are plenty of other ways to try to ensure your safety without trying to take the law into your own hands. And what if someone breaks in while you're not home and steals your gun? Definitely don't need more of those on the street.

I'm surprised the dogs didn't scare them off...I was confused about whether your security system was ON when they tried to get in. We had a great system in our last house, we set it every time we left and every time we went to bed and it was LOUD when it went off (I accidentally set if off a few times...the signal went right to the security company and they immediately called the house to see if I was ok...and would dispatch an officer quickly. You could also set it to chime if a door opened.

I agree that you should keep the lights BLAZING at night (have more installed around your house if necessary). And what about a neighborhood security patrol? Is there one or can you rally the neighbors to try to do one? We had a security officer driving around periodically and I think the presence of cop cars is a good deterrent to criminals...we paid annual dues to have it and they would even swing by our house when we were out of town to check on it, which was comforting.

Other than that... make sure phone and cell phone are within your reach, especially at night. And adding more locks like other posters suggested can't hurt.

I agree. There is no substitute for excellent exterior lighting and a barking dog. Criminals do not want attention. Security systems are ok, except you must remember to activate it every night before sleeping! Some forget. And then there are all the false alarms which desensitize one to the system. Keep shrubs trimmed around windows and entrances. Motion-sensor lighting is the way to go as this saves electricity and greatly surprises invaders. Did someone see me and turn on the light?? I also have a switch next to my bed that will turn back exterior ligthing, if I hear anything. Not a gun person either, but I do keep a 7 iron under the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville