Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 02:00 PM

367 posts, read 692,353 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are heading down there in a couple of weeks to look for a place to live, so the hunting has started. There is a corporate leasing agent we are working with but I have also done some hunting on my own and have a few questions:

1) Is it true that rents are negotiable?
2) Rents change by the day down there?
3) Two of the places I have checked out and spoken with their leasing people about are the Evergreen Club Apartments and Saint John's Plantation. Does anyone know anything about these properties? (Residents, safety, area, etc.)

Thanks everyone, T-Minus a month and 21 days until we leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 33,566 times
Default Apartments

Radioclown, your 2 choices are good, but before you decide, make sure you know what part of town you want to live in first. (as far as your commute to work, etc.). These 2 are on the Southside, (32256 zip), which is a well established, nice area, and has easy access to major highways. Usually, the older the apartment community, the bigger the units. A lot of apartments in Jax., are old (20 years or so), but remodled and very nice. These 2 are not as old as some, and are kept up well.
Also, if you have pets, check to see what the pet fees are and rules.

Check out apartmentguide.com or ForRent.com for local apt. listings.

To answer your question, are rents negotiable? Not usually. Especially if your leasing one with a Management Co.
Rents don't change by the day either. They're usually set for months. Ask what "specials" they are offering, if any. In this economy, they usually offer some kind of move in special, even if it's a $99 Deposit.

Good luck, and a warm welcome to the "Sunshine" State!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:44 PM

472 posts, read 1,540,071 times
I live on the Intracoastal, at San Pablo & Atlantic, and I assure you that rent can fluctuate over $100 a day at apartments, at least in my area. I can say this applies for Country Club Lakes (my old apartments) and the Enclave (my current apartment) at least. You can walk in on Monday and be quoted $705, then come back on Wednesday, and the rent is now $875. No kidding! I made this mistake the first time I moved into that area. I know now that if you find some place you like, deffinately put down the retainer (about $80) before you leave. You can always get it back if you chose not to rent the unit, or the price goes down and you sign that day.

--> That example was a true story. Rents can change here by market conditions and/or demand. At least on my side of town. Beware.

And, at least near my part of town, you can negotiate your rent. There are a lot of 2-bedrooms available b/c you can rent an entire house for about the same amount. All you have to do is ask. Most times, because they would rather the income, you can negotiate a lower rent. Asking never hurt anyone. You just have to know how to play the game. Ask them about their 2-bedroom availability. If they give you a slew of available units, I say ask to negotiate!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times
also some apartments offer discounts to employees of the major companies here in Jax so don't forget to ask the leasing agent

I would also make sure to visit the properties you are interested in during the evening and if possible on a Saturday night when folks are home. Most are very quiet during the day while folks are at work.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:43 PM

367 posts, read 692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
also some apartments offer discounts to employees of the major companies here in Jax so don't forget to ask the leasing agent

I would also make sure to visit the properties you are interested in during the evening and if possible on a Saturday night when folks are home. Most are very quiet during the day while folks are at work.
In searching through rent.com and a few other sites, I have seen a ton of move in specials, so those are places we are going to look at.

As far as going down there, I wish we could check things out on a weekend, but we will be there Wed-Fri. My wife's boss is having her work while we are there, so I get to do the majority of the hunting.

Thanks!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times
bring your laptop and you can post in the evenings the places you see during the day and we can tell you as much as we know

I might of missed it but range of rent are you looking to pay

Old 06-10-2008, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
my Wife And I Are Heading Down There In A Couple Of Weeks To Look For A Place To Live, So The Hunting Has Started. There Is A Corporate Leasing Agent We Are Working With But I Have Also Done Some Hunting On My Own And Have A Few Questions:

1) Is It True That Rents Are Negotiable?
2) Rents Change By The Day Down There?
3) Two Of The Places I Have Checked Out And Spoken With Their Leasing People About Are The Evergreen Club Apartments And Saint John's Plantation. Does Anyone Know Anything About These Properties? (residents, Safety, Area, Etc.)

Thanks Everyone, T-minus A Month And 21 Days Until We Leave.
Some Places Negotiate Rent, It Never Hurts To Try, If People Get Desperate To Rent They May Lower Their Rental Price And I Dont Know The Properties You Mentioned. Mod edit - advertising

Last edited by Sunnydee; 06-10-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Advertisements are to be in the classified section only. Sunnydee

Old 06-10-2008, 01:35 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,936,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llarge View Post
Some Places Negotiate Rent, It Never Hurts To Try, If People Get Desperate To Rent They May Lower Their Rental Price And I Dont Know The Properties You Mentioned. Moderator cut: edit: advertising
it would be nice if you read the terms of service and read the part where it says ads like this shouldn't be posted, there is a way to send private messages, you should learn how to use it!
your place is 150 mile from jax , why do you think anyone interested in living in jax would want to rent a room from you anyway? you must be real desperate!

Last edited by riveree; 06-10-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville