Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 AM

72 posts, read 464,451 times

Advertisements

DH & I have been looking at the few gated communities in 32256 & for the life of us, we do not understand why Deerwood seems to be such an expensive place to live, compared to what else is out there. When we've driven in there, there really is no "wow" factor for us, whatsoever. The majority of the houses seem so dated. The houses in our price range in there generally look as if they need to be totally gutted on the interior to bring them into the 21st century. We try our best to keep an open mind each time we go in there, but we are both left scratching our heads.

We've been in this area for a few years & we really love it & would like to stay nearby. Deerwood's location suits our needs really well, but it's just hard for us to get past the lackluster feeling we get when we are in there.

I am in no way trying to hurt your feelings if you live in there but am just trying to figure out why the houses in there are priced so high. Is it a status thing? We just don't get it.

One community that we love that does give us that wow factor is Deercreek, however we're not wild about Deercreek's location. The houses in Deercreek are so much more affordable & for the most part, are turnkey, but again, the location is not the most ideal.

If anyone out there could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,497,944 times
Deerwood can be summed up in two words: Old Money. It's been around a looonnng time, and that's what makes it so valuable to people. Someone willing to move in there will be happy to drop some fine coin for the upgrades, just because old money neighborhoods will typically be more stable in value than newer places filled with McMansions.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,640 times
I don't know if I'd call it "old money" but I agree with Eric's point. Deerwood was one of the first gated communities in Jacksonville. Rich professionals bought up the luxury houses during the 80s, and it became a very stable upscale community. Compare it to Glen Kernan, where you might have a lot of recent transplants who bought McMansions on shady credit.

Of course, Deerwood's age leads to exactly what Jax32256 observed. And you are absolutely correct. Deerwood's homes can be very outdated. They were built before the time of the McMansion, so they are much more understated and often full of 1980s finishes.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
I think Joe summed it up well. Eric's got the right idea too, but it's not necessarily old money. I'm speaking from my memory as youngster (I went to JCDS with lots of kids from deerwood and my family moved into deercreek 12 years ago). It has always been my impression that Deerwood is older and was established with a large wealthy population. Deercreek is one of the many newer gated communities that came along more recently, offering accessibility to a lower income bracket (ie, relative to Deerwood/Queen's Harbour/etc) and Deercreek has expanded quite a bit. Had it stopped after the original "final phase" the prices would be somewhat more inflated than you see now.

I'm just not really sure why you dont like Deercreek's location while Deerwood's suits your needs...in a spread out city like Jax, they're essentially next to each other arent they? It would take you awhile just to drive out of Deerwood...lol.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:18 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,831 times
Deerwood has actually been around since the mid 60s. The Deerwood homes are all custom built. Their original owners, for the most part, bought a lot, hired an architect and a builder. This process creates a much better end product. The homes are custom built with unique features and large lots. You won't see the same floor plan repeated in every block. With vision and a good decorator these homes can be updated with a very special end result.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

72 posts, read 464,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm just not really sure why you dont like Deercreek's location while Deerwood's suits your needs...in a spread out city like Jax, they're essentially next to each other arent they? It would take you awhile just to drive out of Deerwood...lol.
My mom lives in Deercreek & it takes forever to get into the development. The daytime lady guard can be a real PITA to guests, too (we call her Colonel Klink). Also, my husband isn't wild about living in the same gated community as my mom. The major thing that I don't like is not having the convenience of Publix 2 minutes down the road. I also think Walmart is going to create a great deal of congestion on Southside near Deercreek (& it's just not convenient to "run" to Walmart for a gallon of milk --I also hate Target & avoid that place when possible). One more caveat, my son will be starting JCDS in the fall & I would love to walk him to school. I know as the crow flies, the communities are right next to each other, but the things I mentioned above are important.

Poolgirl has a valid point for sure, but it's hard to imagine spending $700K on a house that needs $250K in work & driving into the community where I live that has absolutely zero wow factor for me -- we want to feel a sense of pride where we live & overall, Deerwood wouldn't get the job done. I guess I should be fortunate to be in my predicament, considering the state of everything & I should quit my complaining.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax32256 View Post

I am in no way trying to hurt your feelings if you live in there but am just trying to figure out why the houses in there are priced so high. Is it a status thing? We just don't get it.
It's been said a few times already now, but yes, I would say status is a factor. For that part of town, Deerwood is well known and a respected name and if you're going to drop $700k, you'd want that status factor for resale later, I would think.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax32256 View Post
My mom lives in Deercreek & it takes forever to get into the development. The daytime lady guard can be a real PITA to guests, too (we call her Colonel Klink). Also, my husband isn't wild about living in the same gated community as my mom. The major thing that I don't like is not having the convenience of Publix 2 minutes down the road. I also think Walmart is going to create a great deal of congestion on Southside near Deercreek (& it's just not convenient to "run" to Walmart for a gallon of milk --I also hate Target & avoid that place when possible). One more caveat, my son will be starting JCDS in the fall & I would love to walk him to school. I know as the crow flies, the communities are right next to each other, but the things I mentioned above are important.

Poolgirl has a valid point for sure, but it's hard to imagine spending $700K on a house that needs $250K in work & driving into the community where I live that has absolutely zero wow factor for me -- we want to feel a sense of pride where we live & overall, Deerwood wouldn't get the job done. I guess I should be fortunate to be in my predicament, considering the state of everything & I should quit my complaining.
I figured it was something specific like JCDS or something. Don't worry, your reasoning makes sense! Yes, you should realize that you are fortunate...but at the same time you have every right to not have to compromise on your new home. But it is what it is, so you're not gonna find Deercreek at Deerwood's location. Anyway, keep looking, I hope you find your ideal place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville