Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I bought a Hybrid last year.

Here are some things that I do:

Don't turn the AC to the coldest temperature.

Don't gun the gas when you're at the light - the 'winner' only gets to buy more fuel.

Plan your trips around town. Do not just 'run to the store' for 1 or 2 items. Plan ahead.

Ride a bike. If no bike,then run. If you cannot run, walk. If you cannot walk, have someone push you.

"cruise" when going downhill.

Use mass transportation (oops, I forgot where we live) - scratch that.

Use your friend's/mother's/father's/uncle's/cousin's car.

Get rid of your gas guzzling pickup truck/SUV/Large automobile.
This option would cost me more than the gas! I am not sure how people are even saving money buying those expensive little things!

I try not to use the a/c at all and take trips when there will be less traffic. Also try to take road that I can stay at a constant speed so my V8 goes into the 4 cylinder mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post

I try not to use the a/c at all
I've heard that driving with the windows down is the same as using the A/C as far as gas consumption so you might as well be comfortable with the air. With the windows down there is so much wind drag on the entire vehicle.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I've heard that driving with the windows down is the same as using the A/C as far as gas consumption so you might as well be comfortable with the air. With the windows down there is so much wind drag on the entire vehicle.
I have tested the MPG with both and I have found that I get 2- 1.5 MPG less with A/C. Maybe, wind drag doesn't matter when you have 350+ hp... who knows. I think I have heard such a thing before, maybe a compact car rule of thumb?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 103,672 times
Riding a bike would be nice but where do I put my kids? Not an option for me.
We are actually planning on buying a new car from past one year but been postponing for some reason. Thank goodness we did not end up buying a gas guzzler. We are thinking of buying Toyota Prius. Anybody have any bad experience with prius?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM

65 posts, read 256,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnash View Post
I drive a Honda Civic and get like 30+ miles to the gallon. I try to ride with my AC off sometimes, never "race" off the light, and definitely strategically map out my errands. Since I drive a standard, I also coast in neutral a lot. My guy drives a truck, so we take my car on errands across town and out to dinner. That is about all I can do . . .

It still takes me a little over $30 to fill up my ~8 gallon tank. Used to take only $22. Since I fill up twice a month, I'm spending $20 more a month on average. On a student's budget, it's killing me. Especially since groceries are on the rise too . . .
Your Honda Civic only has an 8 gallon tank? What year is it? I find that hard to believe; my '96 that I had years ago had at least 12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
This option would cost me more than the gas! I am not sure how people are even saving money buying those expensive little things!

I try not to use the a/c at all and take trips when there will be less traffic. Also try to take road that I can stay at a constant speed so my V8 goes into the 4 cylinder mode.
What "expensive little things" are you talking about? My two dream cars - a Smart car and a Mini Cooper are incredibly affordable, with the Smart starting around $11,600 and Minis higher at 18K (I like those mostly for aesthetic reasons, but they are small and get good gas mileage as well). My current car - a 2002 Mazda Protege, manual transmission - stacks up pretty well in the ways of gas mileage; I average about 28 - 32 city/highway. I have a 12.5 - 13 gallon tank and it takes about $50 to fill up; I drive 7 miles to work and back (14 miles round trip) just about every day of the week and maybe once or twice a week I drive to do errands, meet with friends, etc. I don't find myself at the gas pump every week. I enjoy my little car and it's fairly affordable - I still have three years to pay on it, but I in no way am wealthy; I just graduated from college and am working full time at a job that I don't get paid nearly enough to support myself on (still working on finding a "real" job), but for now, I have enough money to pay what bills I do have; so what kind of "little expensive thing" are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Concerning all this: Mythbusters basically came to the consensus that 0-49 MPH, it's better to ride with the windows down; 50+ MPH, using your A/C is more efficient.

Also, you guys can't forget about the small, but important things like regular maintenance and keeping your tires inflated and rotated. Do plan your trips, and if it's not absolutely necessary, don't go out. I have the "pleasure" of working in a mall and I keep wondering how and why people feel the necessity to come to the center of consumerism during a so-called "recession" to spend ludicrous amounts of money on things that aren't absolutely necessary - and then complain to me about the price of the coffee they are buying, from me (hey buddy, that's why I work there!).

If you do happen to have some money, I'd say invest in a scooter. They guy at Vespa Jax (on 3rd Street) told me insurance on all two-wheeled vehicles in Florida is optional; even if you decide to get it, it should be no more than $250 a year. They get 60 - 80 MPG and usually have about a 2 gallon tank.

As far as hybrids go; I hear there are waiting lists everywhere to get one (the Prius, specifically). I've also heard they are a lot of work (hybrids in general) and are not worth the cost.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
It's not necessarily the cost of gas that's lead us to this, but more a case of examining how we'd like to live:

More bicycle riding....I'm getting a new single-speed bike for my birthday ...coaster brakes, it's the only way to ride .

Scooters...a scooter is definitely in my future. I love the Vespas, but they're a bit on the small side, I want something BIG and noticeable. I've been eyeing a Suzuki that I love, so I'll probably find something comparable in a Honda scooter.

I DO drive an SUV....sorry! It's a Honda SUV, so it's as good on gas as an SUV can be. I really do need it. With 5 pets, I need to be able to get everyone in one vehicle when we need to evacuate - I'm not leaving anyone behind! I also use it to carry mulch for Karla .

Old 06-13-2008, 05:16 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
yup riv lol how could we do our nursery trips on a scooter could you imagine the look on their faces if we pulled up on a scooter hmm I wonder how many bags of mulch we can fit in a side car

We get pretty good mpg on the Acura (a 6 speed manual) 27 bepopping around town and on our recent trip to Charleston we were averaging 35 mpg on the highway (speed limits ranged 70 to 75 mph)
I was playing around with the MPG readout in the car and found for highway driving at 65mph I can get in the 38 39 mpg range
We do have to use premium gas so it costs more
Will I not use the A/C to save 1 to 2 mpg sorry but the increase in electricity usage from having to shower each time I got back from driving because lets see black car,leather seats there would be lots of sweating going on would wipe out that savings.

We also have a 4 runner that hubby uses he drives about 23 miles total per day all highway and gets about 22 to 24 mpg we only use it on the weekend if we are doing the home depot visits

Old 06-13-2008, 05:47 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I DO drive an SUV....sorry! It's a Honda SUV, so it's as good on gas as an SUV can be. I really do need it. With 5 pets, I need to be able to get everyone in one vehicle when we need to evacuate - I'm not leaving anyone behind! I also use it to carry mulch for Karla .
I don't think anyone should appologize for the type of car they drive. Drive what you want/need. We have both an F150 and a Nissan Pathfinder, and although they aren't great on gas, we have no intentions of getting rid of them. They just work well with our lifestyles.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
woo hoo greatlife
now we know who to call when we need to get lots of mulch oops I mean do you want to meet us for lunch one day

Old 06-13-2008, 07:45 AM

541 posts, read 2,286,100 times
Moving is an option. Living in a city that actually has walkable and bike rideable neighborhoods, viable public transportation, and does not have low-density sprawl is a great way to throw that car out the window period. My brother lives in Chicago. Doesn't use or need a car ever. He sold it when he moved there. No insurance, no gas, no oil changes, no brake replacement, no payments, no traffic.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville