Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:15 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
I would like to see the bus system go to the Town Center, pick up people, drive east on JTB straight to the beach, Jax. beach drop-off and PVB club drop off, and back to the Town Center, every two hours. Call it the "Weekend Beach Shuttle". They have one now but you have to ride to Regency- too far. This would help the town people get to the beach, and the beach people can ride to the Town Center. Start out with free coupons to show people how easy it is.
exactly who would be the target of this service? the PVB club is private so nobody is going there, and the rest of the beaches in PVB are quite unsuitable for masses of visitors, no lifeguards, no services like rest rooms or places to buy a snack or drink. A better idea would be a bus to JAX beach, a place that is set up for many visitors. isn't there already buses to JAX beach? so that kind of service already in place and if there is already service in place like you want why isn't being used?
Also many of the people in PVB really couldn't care less about going to the SJTC, especially via public transport.
It's only a good idea if it's viable and IMHO a service like this doesn't appear to be viable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 03:38 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,201 times
You're always throwing wrenches at people's good ideas.. lol.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:13 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,247 times
Poor vdecapio, he has to buy his own gas.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Dont use the A/C at all
i won't.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-14-2008, 04:25 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryde41 View Post
You're always throwing wrenches at people's good ideas.. lol.
there's nothing wrong with dreaming, if there were no dreamers many great things would never have happened, but you also have to factor reality into the process. Keep on dreaming, something might click

Old 06-14-2008, 06:05 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
All I know is that we are totally dependent on our cars to do anything here, as I'm sure almost the rest of the JAX population is. I've looked into the buses, etc & it just ain't a viable option. I'm not gonna bi**h & complain about that fact like some people, I knew it before we moved here. What I didn't know was that gas prices were gonna keep rising above $4 a gallon with no end in sight. For a normal middle class family, thats getting into the realm of debilitating in a city like this.

Not knocking the city, it is what it is. But its causing us to really rethink our priorities. So, if it means moving to another more condensed city in a smaller home/apt where we aren't forced to be tethered to our cars at all times, we may have to. Sucks, cause we like it here for the most part, but being trapped in your home all the time for something I have no control over is no fun. I'd rather live in a smaller place & have a life than a big house in the suburbs chained to it.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
All I know is that we are totally dependent on our cars to do anything here, as I'm sure almost the rest of the JAX population is. I've looked into the buses, etc & it just ain't a viable option. I'm not gonna bi**h & complain about that fact like some people, I knew it before we moved here. What I didn't know was that gas prices were gonna keep rising above $4 a gallon with no end in sight. For a normal middle class family, thats getting into the realm of debilitating in a city like this.

Not knocking the city, it is what it is. But its causing us to really rethink our priorities. So, if it means moving to another more condensed city in a smaller home/apt where we aren't forced to be tethered to our cars at all times, we may have to. Sucks, cause we like it here for the most part, but being trapped in your home all the time for something I have no control over is no fun. I'd rather live in a smaller place & have a life than a big house in the suburbs chained to it.
And $4/gal is only the beginning. What will people do when gas is $5/gal or $6/gal? For people who live in the further reaches, this can become a real problem.

When people curtail their driving, it hurts the businesses they used to patronize. Businesses close, options dry up, you have to drive even further now to get what you need.

Chicago, NYC and a few others aside, most cities are in the same boat as Jacksonville. Most American cities are car-centric, so we're not alone.

Like most cities though, there are options, and one of those options is to live closer in to the city center - to live in the more dense areas. Before considering moving to another city entirely, people can look to move to a more dense area of their own city, in this case, Jacksonville.

Instead of a 20 mile commute each way, you can have a 5 mile commute. Instead of a 20 minute drive to the grocery store, you can have a 5 minute drive (or maybe even a walk or a bike ride if you're lucky).

Your house might be smaller, the homes close in to the city often cost more per square foot because they are a limited commodity. But it's an option.

And an option is just that, no one says you have to do anything - drive what you want, live where you want - but know that there are solutions that might end up being life-changing in a good way .

Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,500 times
We complain about the Jacksonville sprawl and about our dependency on cars but we forget that there are a whole lot of cities that are in the same boat. No significant mass transit systems to help out. LA is one of those cities but I don't believe you're gonna witness mass exodus out of LA anytime soon because gas happens to be 5 bucks a gallon.

How many of us remember when gas went to $1 a gallon back in the 70s? We were b***hing and moaning then too like the end of the world and then we all settled down and continued to drive our guzzlers and paid whatever it cost to run them. My point is it is no different today. We are all going to mentally adjust, make a few token changes in our lifestyle and $5 or even $6 a gallon will soon be normal and par for the course again. Take my word.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:08 PM

17 posts, read 96,677 times
[quote=toops;4087516]Your Honda Civic only has an 8 gallon tank? What year is it? I find that hard to believe; my '96 that I had years ago had at least 12.

I ran out of gas once . . . pushed it into a station and was only able to put 8.5 gallons in it. The car is older than dirt.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:10 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,486,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
And $4/gal is only the beginning. What will people do when gas is $5/gal or $6/gal? For people who live in the further reaches, this can become a real problem.

When people curtail their driving, it hurts the businesses they used to patronize. Businesses close, options dry up, you have to drive even further now to get what you need.

Chicago, NYC and a few others aside, most cities are in the same boat as Jacksonville. Most American cities are car-centric, so we're not alone.

Like most cities though, there are options, and one of those options is to live closer in to the city center - to live in the more dense areas. Before considering moving to another city entirely, people can look to move to a more dense area of their own city, in this case, Jacksonville.

Instead of a 20 mile commute each way, you can have a 5 mile commute. Instead of a 20 minute drive to the grocery store, you can have a 5 minute drive (or maybe even a walk or a bike ride if you're lucky).

Your house might be smaller, the homes close in to the city often cost more per square foot because they are a limited commodity. But it's an option.

And an option is just that, no one says you have to do anything - drive what you want, live where you want - but know that there are solutions that might end up being life-changing in a good way .
I completely agree with everything you're saying. The option of moving in closer to the city isn't an option for us though because my wife works outta town, kinda in the middle of nowhere which isn't exactly a livable place, IMO. So it would actually be worse if we moved in closer. And the kind of job she has isn't available on a whim just anywhere, so she couldn't just transfer to somewhere in Jax, it doesn't work that way. She has to go where there is a very specific opening. Its what brought us here.

So, I've really weighed all the options & it seems like relocating may be our best option. Not 100% sure yet though. Things could change. We just dont wanna be crippled when those gas prices climb even higher. It'll seriously eat into our income in a major way, especially with the commuting.

I can tell you one thing though, public transportation & a more condensed city will be high priorities for us. I know not a lot of cities are like that, but there are more than just NYC, Chicago, DC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville