Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times

Advertisements

One of our dogs absolutely HATES getting his nails clipped. He's a miniature dachshund & goes absolutely crazy when we or anyone else tries to do it & resorts to biting. I hate to subject him to it because its a very traumatic experience for everyone involved, including him.

Last time I took him to Pet Smart & it took 3 groomers to hold this little dog down to get them all clipped. They cut into the quick once & he went bananas, even blowing out his anal glands in the process because he was so shaken up. So, yeah. It's bad.

Anyways, he has to have it done. Is there anyone in the area that uses a special tool like a peticure or similar & that also has a special touch with troubled dogs like this?? There has to be an easier way than just forcing the dog to do it while using those standard nail clippers (which I'm sure are painful). I just feel like most of those setups suck, especially for uncooperative dogs. I've tried introducing him to a small Dremel device but he ain't having that either. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Sounds like he needs to be desensitized to it (dremel or clippers) - you need to get him used to touching his feet when he's relaxed and you're watching tv etc - you could only clip one nail at a time (a day), there's no rule that you have to do all of them at once - maybe someone could distract him w/ peanutbutter smeared on a plate or giving him lowfat vanilla ice cream or yogurt while you (or someone) is clipping - but just do a little at first - remember Rome wasnt built in a day - my dogs are not eager to get theirs clipped but the groomer we go to is patient and fast and they accept it - he told me he wont do dogs who fight too much as it's too time consuming and stressful - have also heard of using Rescue Remedy (natural food store) before the clipping (or dremeling) - have also heard of someone using a baby carrier (attached to their shoulders/stomach) w/ the small dog in it while someone quickly clips - would just go slow and be patient, I know it's not easy but it has to be done. Best of luck to you both.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
My husband once cut into the quick on one of our dogs and she hasn't forgotten. She'll still let the vet cut her nails when she needs it, but she's wary (and it's been years since that happened).

We use the dremel on our parrots...their nails are so tiny, that's about all you can use on them. The dremel takes longer than a clipper would though.

Honeycrisp has some great ideas, Rescue Remedy might help. Rock Rose is another popular one:

Original Bach Rescue Remedy now alcohol free for Pets

Do you walk your dog on the street, or on the grass? We walk ours on the street and it maintains their nails nicely, we rarely need to trim.

Also, you want to be sure you don't feed the fear, don't baby the dog when the fear appears - it ends up having the opposite effect of what you want, it reinforces the fear. It's best to make the nail-cutting "no big deal" and your dog will come back into balance .

Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
one of our greys had nail issues I would get the nail clippers out and he would take off in the other direction so of course the other grey would follow
I went and got one of those course nail file and he seemed to tolerate that a little better
I also found that if you clip or file their nails in a place they are really comfortable it makes it easier
since my shy grey is most comfortable in our bed I have even clipped her nails there

our new little guy does not like his front paws messed with so we have been using the method honeycrisp suggested gently petting his feet while he is sprawled out on the couch watching TV with us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville