Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM

24 posts, read 128,466 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any advice, tips or suggestions? I am excited about the opportunity to get my ''foot in the door'' in this great and rewardng industry. But, since I am so young and inexperienced (24 yrs old) I am nervous about it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
If the job is commission only, be very careful. The company recruiters make it sound very easy and usually give you unrealistic income figures. Keep in mind that you will have to be driving around to different medical facilities putting mileage on your car and wasting gas all day without a guarantee of making any sales. If you have some money tucked away and want to make a go at this career then my opinion is "go for it". But if you are strapped for cash and dont have the money to spare and need steady income then a hourly paying job may be the best for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:47 PM

24 posts, read 128,466 times
Default RE: DailyJournalist

Yea, I made sure it had a base and commission salary structure. I am pretty much gurranteed a base salary for 2 years plus commission. I have some money tucked away but I could not take the commission risk just yet. They also give me a car and gas allowance so that helps alot too.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3 View Post
Yea, I made sure it had a base and commission salary structure. I am pretty much gurranteed a base salary for 2 years plus commission. I have some money tucked away but I could not take the commission risk just yet. They also give me a car and gas allowance so that helps alot too.
I say try it out. You are still younge, if you find that sales is not your thing then you can always find another job.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen3 View Post
Does anyone have any advice, tips or suggestions? I am excited about the opportunity to get my ''foot in the door'' in this great and rewardng industry. But, since I am so young and inexperienced (24 yrs old) I am nervous about it as well.
From a physician standpoint:
Be honest.
Know your product (inside and out).
Have literature available.
Be accessible to your clients.
Be confident.
Try to be concise and be aware of time constraints of your audience.
If you don't know the answer, try to find out in a timely manner.
Good luck

Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
You don't need advice from a public message board. Just getting that position at your age shows that you have a lot more on the ball that most people do, ( of any age ).

Build your book, make your visits short ( time is money ) and profitable for your customers and you'll have a great financial life.

And spend your time strategizing , perfecting your skills while you build that book.

Set sales goals for yourself and exceed them.

Have a nice life. You are the mainsping in your own progress

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Customer service !!
This is the one thing that will set you apart.
As in any type of sales, what you want is for them to want to buy from you not the next guy who will walk in the door behind you.
It even isn't at times about the price most times.
Should there be a problem running out of something etc knowing they can count on you is going to give you the edge over the competition.
Another thing is "make nice to the office staff" especially the one who schedules the apts.
This could go a long way to your calls or messages being put through much easier.

Good luck keep the excitement your feeling right now and you will do really well

Old 06-20-2008, 05:45 AM

147 posts, read 559,352 times
All of these suggestions are fantastic...I would add that they all add up to building strong business relationships with your clients. If your clients, (physicians) trust you, can depend on you, know that you'll go the extra mile, that your word is your bond and that you are great to their staff you're running a head of the pack.

Also, don't be afraid to say...great question...I don't know, but I'll get back to you ASAP. No one expects you to know EVERYthing! It's OK to admit you're human...and then do get the answer for them in a timely manner.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 AM

16 posts, read 114,690 times
I work at a Medical Supply co in Jax but in operations. We have a lot of sales people your age. I think if the company is giving you good training and you have support on all levels that will help. As I see from a lot of the young inexperienced reps - you get out of it what you put in. Most do very well. I also agree with others.

best of luck!!! Maybe it is my company your coming to.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 14,848 times
I have 16 years experience in the medical & surgical field. I worked in foriegn countries for a german multinational company manufacturing medical, surgical, orthopaedic, support bandages,prosthetic & orthotic products.I am looking for a job in the same industry if anyone can give me a lead or refer me to your california offices will help a lot.I am residing in the east Bay area in Northern California.I am prepared to work anywhere in California.My email is [email]matthew94582@yahoo.com.than[/email]ks lot for your help in advanceMatthew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville