U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 08:16 PM

545 posts, read 1,936,048 times

Advertisements

Im considering buying a Manufactured Home of 1300 sq. ft living area and it is located in North Central Florida near Gainesville . There are a moderate amount of shade trees around the house . Since there is no attic space in these types of homes, im wondering how difficult it is to cool the home in 90 f. plus outdoor temps ? What are some things that are typically done to these types of homes to reduce the Cooling load ; window tint film ,roof sunlight reflective products , etc ??? Lastly, are there any special considerations to these kinds of homes in terms of common problems, etc ? Thanks, David.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,061,784 times
I've never lived in one, but I've heard they are notoriously difficult to heat and cool, so that can get expensive (and wasteful).

Getting a mortgage and homeowner's insurance will be big hurdles. The major banks will not touch a mobile or manufactured home...whether you have wheels or not, they don't want to give you a mortgage. So you'll have to go to a lower-rated bank and you'll be charged a higher rate. Same for homeowner's insurance. To top it off, the resale is usually horrible on these (which is part of why the better banks don't want to give a mortgage on them).

Ultimately, you can end up spending a lot more for one of these types of homes than a traditional single family or condo/townhome.

Buyer beware, if you're going to move forward on it, be sure your contract states that you can back out if you can't find suitable funding/insurance.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 11,431 times
Default heating/cooling

I would have to disagree a little. I think it really depends on the home and the system. We have never really had any problems heating or cooling and given the high temps etc, I've always found the cost pretty reasonable. We also have the benefit of woods in the rear etc.

As far as insurance....also not extremly costing ($1200/year) and we have this as a second home and is not occupied so it should really be much much more. When my mother in law was living there is was approx. 900/year. That is certainly much less that we are paying in connecticut.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:13 AM

238 posts, read 847,210 times
Just want to share our experience in living in a mobile home. Long story - but we purchased and lived in a very nice mobile home for the first time. Needed something "cheap" and where we could live with dogs without a lot of hassle. We bought a manuf home that was sitting on 2 beautiful wooded acres. We found everything - payments, utilities, taxes, insurance to be substantially less money than a regular home. After getting over the fact that we were living in a "trailer" we actually really enjoyed it. The place was clean and really nice with decks, carport, etc. No dumpy low income trailer park setting at all. We had NO problem selling it when we had to move here - because of where and how it was situated. We sold within one month for more than we paid. IT was a fantastic deal for us - allowed us to get back on our feet financially too. To answer your question directly, our electric bills there for heating and cooling were actually much lower than our other "regular" homes.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe my situation is a bit different because im a Cash Buyer so mortgage concerns are n/a . The 2 manufactured homes Im considering , are each located on an acre of land a few miles outside of town so theyre not in a Park. My thought is buy one of these Manufacturered Homes (almost new/2005 and 2007) and have alot of cash leftover from my life savings. Each home is selling for $105,000 and is 3 bedroom / 1300-1420 sq. ft. Neither have a garage nor carport ; Id like to have a garage or pole barn built to house 2 sports cars i have . There are distinctive benefits to a Manufactured Home as highlighted on Fleetwood's website and since this home will be my 'final resting place' for retirement, Im not concerned about resale too much. Any more thoughts and opinions are appreciated . Thanks.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 AM

P.S. The property taxes on each are about $1,000 ... which is silly cheap to what im paying up here in northern illinois ($4200 for a half acre).

Old 06-22-2008, 08:56 PM

If you don't need a mortgage, that's a big relief then.

The thing is, what I'm speaking of is recent development, and maybe I should have specified that.

For Holly and Colleen, it sounds like their experience goes back a few years, and it was easier then mortgage-wise and insurance-wise. After Katrina, everything changed. So those who had insurance prior to Katrina and kept that insurance, they probably never experienced what I'm speaking of, but if they were to repeat that trailer purchase today, it might be very different.

Best of luck, sounds like you're moving forward .

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM

I just noticed the OP made the exact same thread on the general "Florida" forum, which is "cross-posting" and is not allowed as per the Terms of Service.

Rather than try and combine the threads (it will make a big mess), I'm going to direct everyone to the more active of the 2 threads. The conversation can be continued here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...bile-home.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>