Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilli View Post
I suspect it is going to be hard to find friends if you display the attitude evident in your comments about saving fuel and american automobiles. Just remember "no matter where you go there you are!"
LOL, is this for real? Do people really think like this?? Yeah, dude. Poor me doesn't have a friend in the whole world & its all due to me having an *gasp* opinion. Just for your info, we have moved around the country about once every year or two for the last five years now (we're adventurous). Not one time have I ever had trouble making friends rather than here. I talk to life long friends we made (in a SHORT time) in DC/KY on a daily basis & they keep wondering when we're coming back.

So yeah, how dare I have an opinion & not fall in line. I think I'm starting to see the light though. America can do no wrong, we build the best cars no question, Bush is doing a hell of a job & I love Jesus. How's that? Wanna be friends??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM

34 posts, read 97,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I hope KerryB doesn't pay too much attention to this stupid remark. Personally, I would say that if people can't deal with your differences of opinion, whether it's on saving fuel or american automobiles, or anything else, then they are not worth having as friends. Friends don't have to agree politically or otherwise to be considered friends.

Having said that, it does take time to cultivate friendships here in NEFL. People here are first and foremost into their families. It helps if you live in a community with HOAs that may arrange social events where you will get to know neighbors. If you are a churchgoer or even a barhopper that helps too. But basically there are very few places that you will find more friendly and hospitable than Jax.

It's totally a matter of attitude! Yes, I can read and probably have lot more experience with the safety of automobiles than most. I have personally delivered the news of the death of family members and children.
Many could have been avoided with proper vehicles and or safety equipment. I have conducted crush evaluations on vehicles first hand. The laws of physics still remain absolute!

Why do I my remarks have to be "stupid"? By the way he is not even in NEFL.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2fla View Post
how about the 100% ignorance of people who just got in over their heads? no politician ever forced anyone to sign a contract they couldn't afford
Exactly!

They only thought about "how much is my monthly payment"?

$500,000.00 at 4% requires about the same payment for amortization as $110,000 at 17% (remember the Carter years).

What was not considered was the seven or eight hundred dollar a month diffence in property tax (you think the goverment did not know this) and possibly hundred of dollars in additional insurance costs.

None of the costs are generally evident in the first year as the sale price has not caught up with the tax rolls.

As someone near and dear to some might say "public education has come home to roost".

Maybe the American Dream should only occur during waking hours.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
LOL, is this for real? Do people really think like this?? Yeah, dude. Poor me doesn't have a friend in the whole world & its all due to me having an *gasp* opinion. Just for your info, we have moved around the country about once every year or two for the last five years now (we're adventurous). Not one time have I ever had trouble making friends rather than here. I talk to life long friends we made (in a SHORT time) in DC/KY on a daily basis & they keep wondering when we're coming back.

So yeah, how dare I have an opinion & not fall in line. I think I'm starting to see the light though. America can do no wrong, we build the best cars no question, Bush is doing a hell of a job & I love Jesus. How's that? Wanna be friends??
You don't have to convince me! You are the one singing "poor pitiful me" and wanting to move even if you lose you house.

Yes my friend! America is the best country, I think Bush has done an admirable job under the circumstances and I do love Jesus.

Love America be an American!

Remember when you are an "open minded" progressive not to let your brain fall out.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy_d View Post
Question: So since the liberal media is responsible for deflating this housing bubble, who is responsible for inflating it?
HGTV and TLC for shows like Flip this House and What is my House Worth.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Let's get back on track to the original post please.

I didn't see the OP blaming anyone or anything for his predicament, he's simply stating the facts of his situation.

Being the Jacksonville forum, we need to keep the discussion on-topic to Jax, so let's steer it back to what's going on in the RE market in Jax, what we expect will happen, advice for the OP about his situation, etc. Going a little off-topic is okay, but not so far that I have to move it to Politics & Controversies !

Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 AM

238 posts, read 887,797 times
Hi Riveree - to answer your question, I suppose I actually looked at about 75 houses before selecting this one. I had four criteria - driving distance to work, big yard for dogs, house had to be in immaculate condition with no major or costly updates or repairs needed (and suitable to my taste), and be in my price range of course. I have no idea what any of the Sellers situations were as I was househunting - as far as foreclosure or desperation to sell. I know several homes were already empty so that's a pretty good sign that Sellers are willing to make a deal. I didn't concern myself with their motivation though in my decision-making. I just assumed that there is some good reason they want to sell. There is so much for a Buyer to choose from here - so many great neighborhoods and areas! I figured that if they don't want to sell at the price and terms I'm offering, then as a Buyer I can just select another one. Fortunately the Sellers DID want to sell at my price and my terms.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Thanks Holly, it's great to hear a buyer's perspective .

Those big yards for dogs are getting harder to come by, glad you found one .

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
On another note, I lived in Lexington awhile back, I thought it was just a lovely place, and Kentuckians truly are friendly. Beautiful countryside too.
We actually lived in Lexington for 8 years. We've been away for about 5 years now, but truthfully (not to knock Jax) to us the only place that was better than Lex was DC, but then you gotta deal with the expense of living in a place like that. It's no joke.

So I'm thinking for the money, Lex may beat it overall just for what you get there. It's actually a really diverse, condensed, low crime rated city with nice people, tons of restaurants that aren't carbon copies with many ethnic choices & pretty scenery. The weather stinks at times, but can't be perfect I guess.

It's funny that you don't start to really appreciate some places until you're away from them for a while.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i know it hard on people. but for those that can hold on they will go up again, guna be 1 or 2 year wait. a loss does not occur til there is a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville