Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Social loop access in Jacksonville, St. Augustine Florida area, Starbucks, join social clubs, children’s activities that involve parents, United Way, Metro Jacksonville, sports and entertainment news

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:09 AM

32 posts, read 75,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
Thanks JagFan27, as soon as I figure out what schools that my kids will be attending I will definitely be joining their PTA's. I am getting such good info from everyone that I will be checking out the local organizations, I just didn't know where to start but I have received some great leads with this posting, so I am getting excited already. Thanks again!
In my very few moves I've found the best ways to meet the "locals" was via the kids activities, school or sports brings you into contact with many other parents also getting involved in politics and service orgs. is another great way to make contacts. Another way to meet people is if you live in a community that has a club, golf or pool clubs are a great way to meet people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM

134 posts, read 439,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Join a Southern Baptist Church.
Wow, that might work if I were a "Southern Baptist" but I'm not. But I do love God. I am already in the process of checking out local churches that might work out for us. We are used to a more Contemporary type of Church Setting. The church that we went to and were Members of in Georgia was a United Methodist Church with a Contemporary feel, we all loved it. I'm still looking around here for a church that might be similar to the one that we attended.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2fla View Post
In my very few moves I've found the best ways to meet the "locals" was via the kids activities, school or sports brings you into contact with many other parents also getting involved in politics and service orgs. is another great way to make contacts. Another way to meet people is if you live in a community that has a club, golf or pool clubs are a great way to meet people.
Oh, Pool Clubs? Huh? That's something that I haven't heard of, I'll have to see what those are all about. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,576 times
You may want to check out Creekside Christian Church off Racetrack Road...located between Julington Creek and Bartram Springs. Good teaching, contemporary worship, etc. Welcome to the area!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
You may want to check out Creekside Christian Church off Racetrack Road...located between Julington Creek and Bartram Springs. Good teaching, contemporary worship, etc. Welcome to the area!
Thanks jmc, we will do that.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer

If you have children, it's a wonderful way to show how you give back. Take them with you. Also, join Junior League, a wonderful organization. They do so much in all communities but you will meet wonderful people.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Smile Junior League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
If you have children, it's a wonderful way to show how you give back. Take them with you. Also, join Junior League, a wonderful organization. They do so much in all communities but you will meet wonderful people.
Dear Bette,
I didn't know anything about the Junior League, thanks Bette, I went to the website and checked it out. I'll have to look into that.

Lately I've been such a bump on the log and I'm finding it hard to get with it, I am definitely struggling with staying motivated. Almost like I need someone to drag me out there to get me involved in things. This is why I have worked all of my life. I am one of those people that actually needs the force of having to get up early and get ready for work so I can have a great rest of the day. With me not working right now (since we just moved here and my husband's income is sufficient for me to be a stay at home mom) I'm finding it easy to be a bum, I almost can't stand myself. If anybody has any ideas on how to light a fire under me, dear lord, please share them with me. I know that for those of you that hate to work, you must think that I am ungrateful, but that is not the case, I like to work, I don't want to be the maid or housekeeper, and right now my husband expects everything to be perfect when he gets home, I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to make everything at home perfect for my husband, the thought of that drives me crazy. What is wrong with me?!!!But right now during the summer this is where I need to be while my kids are out of school since I don't know anyone here and I am not familiar with the summer programs here like I was back home.

Jeeze, I just completely vented, sorry about that. I was having a moment that I'll probably feel guilty about later. Just ignore me...you guys are all great! I get his way sometimes when I start researching on how I can get connected, that's when I realize how unconnected I am down here. I get a little homesick and I start missing all of my friends and family. Whew! what a whiner!

Forget all of that, big smiles!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
It sounds like a big transition, HParr.

Moving to a new city is transition enough, but going from working full-time outside the home to working full-time inside the home (and yes, it is work ) is another big transition.

Don't be too hard on yourself, this is an adjustment period. Also, be sure to take the time and be selective about what you get involved in. Your time is valuable and no doubt there are all sorts of people and organizations that would happily gobble it up, especially when you offer it "free" (volunteer). Make sure it's a cause you really can stand behind .

Tell hubby to back off! If he wants the house perfect he can do it himself!

Sounds like you have your focus, really. You have the kids with you for the summer, so maybe that's enough for now. Once they're back in school you'll have more of a routine.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HParr View Post
Dear Bette,
I didn't know anything about the Junior League, thanks Bette, I went to the website and checked it out. I'll have to look into that.

Lately I've been such a bump on the log and I'm finding it hard to get with it, I am definitely struggling with staying motivated. Almost like I need someone to drag me out there to get me involved in things. This is why I have worked all of my life. I am one of those people that actually needs the force of having to get up early and get ready for work so I can have a great rest of the day. With me not working right now (since we just moved here and my husband's income is sufficient for me to be a stay at home mom) I'm finding it easy to be a bum, I almost can't stand myself. If anybody has any ideas on how to light a fire under me, dear lord, please share them with me. I know that for those of you that hate to work, you must think that I am ungrateful, but that is not the case, I like to work, I don't want to be the maid or housekeeper, and right now my husband expects everything to be perfect when he gets home, I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to make everything at home perfect for my husband, the thought of that drives me crazy. What is wrong with me?!!!But right now during the summer this is where I need to be while my kids are out of school since I don't know anyone here and I am not familiar with the summer programs here like I was back home.

Jeeze, I just completely vented, sorry about that. I was having a moment that I'll probably feel guilty about later. Just ignore me...you guys are all great! I get his way sometimes when I start researching on how I can get connected, that's when I realize how unconnected I am down here. I get a little homesick and I start missing all of my friends and family. Whew! what a whiner!

Forget all of that, big smiles!!!
You sound like you are suffering from depresssion.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
It sounds like a big transition, HParr.

Moving to a new city is transition enough, but going from working full-time outside the home to working full-time inside the home (and yes, it is work ) is another big transition.

Don't be too hard on yourself, this is an adjustment period. Also, be sure to take the time and be selective about what you get involved in. Your time is valuable and no doubt there are all sorts of people and organizations that would happily gobble it up, especially when you offer it "free" (volunteer). Make sure it's a cause you really can stand behind .

Tell hubby to back off! If he wants the house perfect he can do it himself!

Sounds like you have your focus, really. You have the kids with you for the summer, so maybe that's enough for now. Once they're back in school you'll have more of a routine.

riveree!!!You're the best ever!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville