Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,412 times

Advertisements

I'm joining my fiance in the military soon and we'll be moving to JAX. I'm from NYC so while I can tolerate a couple bums and things, I'm having a hard time finding SAFE areas to look for apartments/condos. There isn't a lot of support for figuring out the city so while I'm sure there are a million of these posts, I REALLY need help!

I have been looking at some of the high-rises downtown after reading negative reviews of every apartment complex I could find on review websites - violent crimes no thanks. It sounded like either you live next to criminals or you're a target for criminals... awesome, right?

Do any of you know about living downtown? Have you heard about the various high-rises, suggestions? I'm also a little concerned about dogs and dog walking. Empty streets don't sound appealing for walking a dog at night so if there any pocket of restaurants/activity downtown where walking is safe? Some of the buildings I'm looking at are near Hemming Park, any advice on what that is like? Otherwise know of any high-rises with roof top gardens?!

Any tips on where to go would be GREATLY appreciated. my number one concern is safety and I'm just having the hardest time finding any concise answers on where to look in JAX. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
Hi AC ,

I moved her from NYC as well. Downtown Jacksonville is a very different kind of downtown than NYC. That's to be expected, really.

Jacksonville is a working, southern city and it's downtown is typical of many southern cities. For the most part, people work downtown, but live elsewhere. That's changed some in recent years and we now have some clubs, restaurants and new residences downtown. There is one grocery store and it was just revamped...so things are getting better, but with the real estate market at a standstill, I don't expect we'll see much growth downtown for a few more years at least. It's too bad because we had some good momentum for a while there.

Have you looked into living in one of the neighborhoods that surround Downtown? Some of them still have an urban feel and you might be able to get a backyard for your dog too . You don't need to go far from Downtown, just a mile or two. Check out these zips online:

San Marco Preservation Society

Riverside Avondale Preservation

Old 06-26-2008, 08:22 AM

14 posts, read 61,594 times
I personally would not want to live downtown, simply because the rents are much higher than for surrounding areas, minus the amenities. Although there has been some progress made, there is still not a lot to do downtown, not many restaurants that stay open at night, etc. And I would personally not want to be walking my dog downtown at night by myself. You should check out Riverside/Avondale/Murray Hill, or San Marco. Cheaper rent for an actual house than you could find for a downtown apartment, and closer to grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc.

I have a friend who recently moved to one of the apartment buildings on Ashley St. and he is regretting it. Wishes he had stayed in Riverside.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 AM

22 posts, read 124,130 times
I definitely would not recommend downtown. Where will your fiancee be stationed? That would make a big impact on where you should live.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,225 times
Default I second Letele ...

San Marco, Riverside, and Avondale are great areas in Jacksonville and closest to what you are looking for, although expect to pay higher rents in these areas.

I moved down from Boston three years ago and bought a house in Avondale with my wife. We are walking distance to restaurants and shopping. We considered the city, however it is nothing like Boston. With the exception of a few blocks, it is basically dead. There have been some revitalization projects, however they have been slow to take.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM

17 posts, read 97,852 times
Red face Moving to Jacksonville

I just moved to Jacksonville 3 months ago. My boyfriend is in the NAvy and thats what brought us here. He had lived here before but I had never been here. We live just west of the Intercoastal waterway off Beach Blvd/San Pablo Road. 3 apartments are on our road. The San Pablo Apartments, coquina bay and spinaker ranch. Its very quiet here. Lots of trees with a rural look about it. Because Jacksonville has woods everywhere so its very country like here. I live on San Pablo road. there zip code is for JAcksonville beach 32250. Were only 10 miles from the Mayport Navy Base. And the commute is only 15 minutes. The san pablo apartments have a pool, tennis courts, fitness center & Washer Dryer hookups. The 2 bedroom 1 bath is huge over 1000 sq feet and is only $679 a month. They have 2 bedroom 1 1.2 bath townhomes for $699 and 2/2 apartments. We have screened porches and patios. I have to say I love it here. The management has been fantastic and the neighbors are quiet and friendly. Were about 15 miles from downtown and only 3 miles from the sand in jacksonville Beach.

So hopefully this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac2368 View Post
I'm joining my fiance in the military soon and we'll be moving to JAX. I'm from NYC so while I can tolerate a couple bums and things, I'm having a hard time finding SAFE areas to look for apartments/condos. There isn't a lot of support for figuring out the city so while I'm sure there are a million of these posts, I REALLY need help!

I have been looking at some of the high-rises downtown after reading negative reviews of every apartment complex I could find on review websites - violent crimes no thanks. It sounded like either you live next to criminals or you're a target for criminals... awesome, right?

Do any of you know about living downtown? Have you heard about the various high-rises, suggestions? I'm also a little concerned about dogs and dog walking. Empty streets don't sound appealing for walking a dog at night so if there any pocket of restaurants/activity downtown where walking is safe? Some of the buildings I'm looking at are near Hemming Park, any advice on what that is like? Otherwise know of any high-rises with roof top gardens?!

Any tips on where to go would be GREATLY appreciated. my number one concern is safety and I'm just having the hardest time finding any concise answers on where to look in JAX. Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville