Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:34 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,278 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me who benefits from this ammendment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM

754 posts, read 2,815,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
For this reason alone (insurance), I don't think this amendment would ever pass. Who would vote for an amendment that would pull insurance away from others?
Riveree, my naive friend, you are totally wrong. No one is going to vote for or against the amendment based on insurance. The amendment will pass. The only question is by what margin?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That is where the 14th Amendment comes in; Equal Protection Clause. This is why all the people bent on banning gay marriage know the ONLY way is to pass a FEDERAL amnendment banning it. Not going to happen.
No, a federal amendment banning gay marriage isn't going to happen. Neither is an appeal to the Supreme Court based on the Equal Protection Clause. Why not? Simple: Marriage is a state right, not a federal right. Heck, if a state decides to ban marriage altogether, it can do so.

States set their own conditions for marriage: minimum ages, age of consent, blood tests, familial restrictions (i.e. incest is banned), humans only (i.e. no bestial arrangements), etc. In the case of Mass., they added their own rule, which is that gender of the marital petitioners cannot be a basis of denial...i.e., gay marriage is fine. Within the scope of the 10th Amendment, that is perfectly within MA's right to do so.

A gay man and a straight man, for example, have the exact same rights. A straight man has the right to marry a woman and a gay man also has the right to marry a woman. Plain and simple. Whether they want to or not is not germane to constitutional rights.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Riveree, my naive friend, you are totally wrong. No one is going to vote for or against the amendment based on insurance. The amendment will pass. The only question is by what margin?

Jon, my overly confident friend, what shall we bet?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default 60%

Quote:
This is a very high percentage needed to pass. I think you underestimate the number of relatives one gay person has.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Default A state to state nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post
It's to keep marriages legal in other states from being recognized in this state.

It's a way the bigots in this state keep trying to deny marriage equality when other states grant equal rights.

As other states start to add the right for marriage equality (like the rest of the world is starting to), this amendment, if passed in November, will eventually be found unconstitutional down the road.
If indiviudal states start refusing to recognize marriages, domestic partnerships, civil unions from other states. Can one state legally say that they will not recognize a gay marriage or partnership from another state, but recognize a straight marriage or partnership from that same state? That is outright discrimination against a specific group of people, which is what happend with interracial marriage back then. They would have to say Florida is not going to recognize ALL marriages from Ma.

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, New Jersey has Domestic Partnerships, which also includes straight seniors. Will Florida say we will not recognize the domestic partnerhips of gay couples, but WILL of straight seniors? This could have major implications since a lot of retirees move to Florida. Or will they tell the straight old folks you MUST get married?

I did a little research on the rulings from Lawrence (sodomy) case. One of the arguments they made was that the sodomy laws only applied to same sex couples. It was not against the law for opposite gender couples to engage in sodomy. The SC said that you could not single out one group of people and not the other. That is discrimination.

This has the makings of major lawsuit in the future.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
If indiviudal states start refusing to recognize marriages, domestic partnerships, civil unions from other states. Can one state legally say that they will not recognize a gay marriage or partnership from another state, but recognize a straight marriage or partnership from that same state?
Yes.

Quote:
That is outright discrimination against a specific group of people, which is what happend with interracial marriage back then. They would have to say Florida is not going to recognize ALL marriages from Ma.
No, it isn't what happened with interracial marriage. There was a case in VA (Loving v. Virginia) whereby an interracial marriage performed in outside of VA (in DC) resulted in a criminal violation (and subsequently a criminal penalty) when the married couple moved into VA. The SCOTUS ruled, among other things, that the criminalization of a properly performed marriage was a violation of the Due Process clause.

If a gay couple gets "married" in MA and moves to FL, then FL may decide not to recognize their marriage...but FL cannot criminalize their marriage.

Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, New Jersey has Domestic Partnerships, which also includes straight seniors. Will Florida say we will not recognize the domestic partnerhips of gay couples, but WILL of straight seniors?
I doubt it. My guess is that FL will say that if a man and woman are married in another state, they will recognize the marriage. Otherwise, they won't recognize it.

Quote:
I did a little research on the rulings from Lawrence (sodomy) case. One of the arguments they made was that the sodomy laws only applied to same sex couples. It was not against the law for opposite gender couples to engage in sodomy. The SC said that you could not single out one group of people and not the other. That is discrimination.
Again, we're talking criminalization of behavior based on discriminatory grounds. Just as in the aforementioned Loving case. TX had criminal anti-sodomy laws that applied only to homosexuals. SCOTUS shot it down on 14th Amendment grounds. However, recently in Louisiana (and forgive me for not remembering the name of the case), a state's criminal anti-sodomy laws (maybe LA's?) were upheld and ruled constitutional. Why? Because the laws applied equally to men and women, gay and straight.

Whether the government has any business regulating private behavior between consenting adults is a different topic for a different day (and believe it or not, I likely share the views with nearly everyone here on that issue). The fact is, though, that courts have allowed states to do just that, so long as they do it equally.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
This is a very high percentage needed to pass. I think you underestimate the number of relatives one gay person has.
A Quinnipiac poll conducted two months ago showed support at the time to be 59%, and that's when folks weren't paying much attention. All it takes is a 1% swing forward to make it a done deal. And with the anticipated higher turnout in this year's election, it would be (in my humble opinion) naive to assume that the number won't climb. Seriously, you think this state is going to reject it? Seriously?

Old 07-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Default It was on the ballot before

Quote:
A Quinnipiac poll conducted two months ago showed support at the time to be 59%, and that's when folks weren't paying much attention. All it takes is a 1% swing forward to make it a done deal. And with the anticipated higher turnout in this year's election, it would be (in my humble opinion) naive to assume that the number won't climb. Seriously, you think this state is going to reject it? Seriously?
as someone else stated and didn't pass when it was only by majority not 60%.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Straight Seniors with Domestic Partnerships,

Quote:
Yes.

No, it isn't what happened with interracial marriage. There was a case in VA (Loving v. Virginia) whereby an interracial marriage performed in outside of VA (in DC) resulted in a criminal violation (and subsequently a criminal penalty) when the married couple moved into VA. The SCOTUS ruled, among other things, that the criminalization of a properly performed marriage was a violation of the Due Process clause.

If a gay couple gets "married" in MA and moves to FL, then FL may decide not to recognize their marriage...but FL cannot criminalize their marriage.

I doubt it. My guess is that FL will say that if a man and woman are married in another state, they will recognize the marriage. Otherwise, they won't recognize it.

Again, we're talking criminalization of behavior based on discriminatory grounds. Just as in the aforementioned Loving case. TX had criminal anti-sodomy laws that applied only to homosexuals. SCOTUS shot it down on 14th Amendment grounds. However, recently in Louisiana (and forgive me for not remembering the name of the case), a state's criminal anti-sodomy laws (maybe LA's?) were upheld and ruled constitutional. Why? Because the laws applied equally to men and women, gay and straight.

Whether the government has any business regulating private behavior between consenting adults is a different topic for a different day (and believe it or not, I likely share the views with nearly everyone here on that issue). The fact is, though, that courts have allowed states to do just that, so long as they do it equally.
not Marriages, will not be recognized in Florida then? So unless they have "marriage" certificates by their state Florida will discriminate against them too. This is very much where the insurance factor comes into play.

As far as LA, no dice. SC struck down ALL sodomy laws across the board. It was not just on the basis of the discrimination of one group, but they also said it violated the Right to Privacy. It was a 2 prong agrument. It will violate that privacy whether it is in Texas or La, whether it is gays or straights.

What I think personally is that government should get out of the marriage business altogether. Just issue Civil Unions, with the associated civil benefits thereof, to ALL consenting adults regardless of their sexual orientation. Let people who want "traditional" marriage, and all the RELIGIOUS implications, go to a place of worship to get that. The clergy can discriminate, as they now do, all they want, but the government contract would be purely secular.

I have been married to the same man for 34 years. I could care less what you call it, but only the couple involved can define what that "marriage" is. One size does not fit all when it comes to relationships. Government can't define that and neither can religion.

Regarding that 59%, how many straight couples are aware that if they are living together, or have those domestic partnerhips in another state, that their employers can refuse to cover their SO under their insurance policies because they are not husband and wife with that piece of paper? These companies can site this law as their excuse.

Last edited by TANaples; 07-08-2008 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville