Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1011 View Post
What do you guys think? Which market has the best beef for hamburger and steak? Publix or Winn Dixie? And, while we're at it...other options? I really would like to find some good corn fed beef!
Winn Dixie and Publix have the best beef....

It's called Bubba Burgers...with Sweet Georgia Vidalia Onions.

Throw them on the grill, wait for the juices to run, flip em' over for 2 more minutes and voila`!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,064 times
Default brazil store

I found a nice little Brazilian grocery store at the intersection of Old Kings Rd. and Baymeadows. It is in the Winn Dixie Plaza. It is called Casa da Picanha Latino Store. They have 3 or 4 aisles of canned and packaged goods, lots of Guarana soda, some cosmetic products, a little refrigerated section with cheese etc., and a little refrigerator of meats (that can be cut for you). Also, in the meat section in the back they have picanha...the famous cut of meat eaten in Brazil that tastes so good!! f 904´219 2062

Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,442 times
Default Toitally forgot about this place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1011 View Post
What do you guys think? Which market has the best beef for hamburger and steak? Publix or Winn Dixie? And, while we're at it...other options? I really would like to find some good corn fed beef!
I totally forgot about this place, but some people I know won't buy their meat anywhere but here...Terry's Country Store on Penman Road in Jax Beach. I think there is one in Mayport still also, but I am not sure.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I don't think Publix or Winn Dixie has the best.

I go to a butcher, personally: Fleming Island Meats (on 17 just across the bridge into Fleming Island).

Fleming Island Choice Meats - Orange Park, FL, 32003 - Citysearch

Quote:
4324 Raggedy Point Rd
Orange Park, FL 32003

Get Directions
(904) 278-7002

Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Neither. Fresh Market or Whole Foods, or better yet, check out a local butcher (they do exist). Publix is meh and Winn Dixie literally sells irradiated Publix meat.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:46 PM

100 posts, read 363,168 times
whole foods

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I don't think Publix or Winn Dixie has the best.

I go to a butcher, personally: Fleming Island Meats (on 17 just across the bridge into Fleming Island).

Fleming Island Choice Meats - Orange Park, FL, 32003 - Citysearch
I have a friend in FI and she says the meats from there are great.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:36 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,985 times
I'm not positive about this since I haven't been to Tillman's in years, but I don't believe they sell USDA Choice meat. Publix and Winn Dixie both offer Choice beef, but IMO Publix has a better wholesaler whom they deal with than WD. The cuts are more even, and they have better marbling from what I've experienced. Publix ground beef is literally ground multiple times daily, something I haven't seen with WD. Fresh Market has several (and more expensive) cuts of USDA Choice: Hereford (yeh, it's a cow but they market the brand) and something else, but the Hereford, while more costly, seems to have less fat in it, that leads to more dryness.

Costco does have excellent beef with good cutting, but you have to buy about 20 lbs at a time, and the price doesn't beat Publix sales. However, whole tenderloins are very well priced, and hard to beat (8.79 yesterday)

I usually let Publix and Costco meats age in my frig awhile before I cook or freeze them, both seem to need it for the tenderness and taste factor.

Wherever you go, just make sure the beef is USDA Choice, not "Select", which is a tougher cut of beef. Restaurants normally get the "USDA Prime" which is the most tender designation of all, but generally is not available to the public.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 4,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Costco does have excellent beef with good cutting, but you have to buy about 20 lbs at a time, and the price doesn't beat Publix sales.
while costco sells their meats in larger quantities than regular markets 20 lbs is a bit of an overexageration! the quality of costco meat is top notch and imho is far superior than you can find at a "normal" market. Fresh Market comes in real close but their prices can make you cry

Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,120 times
Costco packs are about 4~6lbs each, marbled nicely and ready for grill. They also sells whole loins that you can trim and cut your own wonderful steaks if you watched that episode of Good Eats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville