Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,543 times

Advertisements

Would westside Jacksonville be a nice place to move for someone out of college? I really like the city of Jacksonville because it has done what I think most cities should do annexed land around them to expand the city. Also the weather is amazing, it's florida's biggest city, it's close to Georgia, and the beaches are beautiful. So would westside (which i think is southwest jacksonville) be a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM

147 posts, read 559,352 times
The Westside is made up of SO many neighborhoods...what are you looking for as far as a lifestyle is concerned? Walking to restaurants, shops, churches, etc? Or is horseriding your "thing"? Do you want an apartment, condo or single family home? Where will you be working? Do you want to live close to the Interstate system or bike to your office downtown? The Westside has much to offer, just let us know what is your vision for your life in Jacksonville.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:34 PM

11 posts, read 35,503 times
I love the westside of Jax, but it's a dump.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
I wouldnt say its a dump. There's some pretty pricey neighborhoods around there now. But, there aren't many good places to eat or shop thats for sure, unless you like fast food for every meal & shopping at Wal-Mart for everything possible.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:48 AM

11 posts, read 35,503 times
You're right, it's not all dump, but it doesn't hurt to buy a gun either. I always enjoyed people watching at the Wal-Mart on 103rd.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami305Kid View Post
Would westside Jacksonville be a nice place to move for someone out of college? I really like the city of Jacksonville because it has done what I think most cities should do annexed land around them to expand the city. Also the weather is amazing, it's florida's biggest city, it's close to Georgia, and the beaches are beautiful. So would westside (which i think is southwest jacksonville) be a nice place to live?
It depends upon where you work and what you like to do outside of going to the beach.

My friend lives out there but closer to Cecil Field. I am not a fan of that area maybe because it is older.

Avondale has some character to it which is closer to downtown and has a lot of restaurants. Southside is nice for all of the restaurants and shopping. But if I were single, I would pick something on or close to the beach.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
I guess I'm sort of going back to what Cellson said above, what attracted you to the idea of the Westside in the first place?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,557 times
Who has money to eat out and shop these days,one question where can you afford to live,the beach may be nice,but also expensive.Where will you be working?

Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM

14 posts, read 37,696 times
There are many nice areas on the Westside of Jax. There are many comparably priced rentals and homes in all areas throughout Jax. If you know where you are most likely to work, it would be important to calculate your commute. Jax is really spread out, and especially during rush hours, commutes can be long if having to commute over the river or downtown, especially with gas prices. Jax is a great place to start out for college grads, especially with Deutsche Bank and Jax Port having reported there are many new jobs coming to the area. You would be surprised how affordable areas of St. Augustine, Jax Beach and Southside areas of Jax are also.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM

116 posts, read 419,588 times
I always get a little miffed when people diss the Westside, mostly because I live in the Ortega area, which I think is NIGHT AND DAY different than other parts of the Westside (take 103rd St. outside of I-295 for instance). As a young professional, myself and a lot of my friends live in the Ortega, Avondale, Murray Hill, Riverside and Lakeshore areas...all of which are on the Westside. I personally wouldn't live anywhere else aside from maybe downtown or San Marco (been there done that). There's tons of cool shops and restaurants in Riverside/Avondale, unique (and affordable) houses and apartments, and the best part...YOU DON'T HAVE TO SIT IN TRAFFIC ON SOUTHSIDE BLVD WITH A MILLION SOCCER MOMS! Anyway...sorry to vent, just wanted to point out to the uninformed that there's actually some nice, chill neighborhoods on the other side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville