Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times

Advertisements

Customer cards are used to keep track of household spending and buying habit, to sell to various data mining companies.

If WD does what Publix is doing, then I would also shop there more frequently. But the two places are still day and night to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Default Gas won't affect me

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I agree. I do about 60% of my shopping at Bj's and the rest either Winn-Dixie or Publix, as both are closest (just from 2 different directions).
Hey, I'll be the first to admit, Winn Dixie's Stores look 100% better and cleaner than 2 years ago. I'll also admit that I made a killing on their stock when they were going through reorganization as well.

But I will drive the extra 10 minutes out of my way to go to Publix and I'll tell you why....the employees.

Winn Dixie seems to go out of their way to hire the most rude, inconsiderate, and often times just plain idiotic staff, and most of them don't give a rats tail about being there.

When you go to Publix, the employees are on top of everything, very well mannered, look you in the eyes and say hello, aren't chatting with the girl or guy working the register 2 lanes over, almost always offer to take your cart to your car for you and always have a pleasant attitude.

On top of that, when you go to Publix, if there are more than 2 or 3 people in line, they'll open another checkout. Winn Dixie will have someone out front smoking a cigarette while they look at you being the 5th or 6th person in an ever growing line.

Now could this just be my specific location, sure, I guess so, but typically corporate culture is passed down from the top that is usually reflective consistently throughout the entire company, and Winn Dixie is publicly traded, which means they are more concerned about shareholders than consumers in the end. Good for me yes, I benefited financially from it, but use the benefits to buy from Publix. Some might see that as being hypocritical, but nevertheless, I am a person who cares about customer service, and until Winn Dixie changes their whole corporate culture from within, the only reason i will shop there is because Publix is closed and there is something I have to have (Diapers, Miracle Whip, whatever).

You call it hypocritical, I call it having your cake and eating it too.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Default Slap me for saying this if you want...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a dedicated husband and father of 2 children, but as a man of the lowest order, If I HAVE to go to the grocery store, there might as well be some form of enjoyment to it.

The women that shop at Publix are way hotter than the ones you see shopping at Winn Dixe.

Exceptions to the rule, yes, but not generally speaking.

Ok, fire at will ladies.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:26 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Customer cards are used to keep track of household spending and buying habit, to sell to various data mining companies.
Wow, that's a stretch! If you're saying this is a Winn-Dixie conspiracy I'd say they are more sophisticated than I thought.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Wow, that's a stretch! If you're saying this is a Winn-Dixie conspiracy I'd say they are more sophisticated than I thought.
Not that stretchy, your informations are collected somewhere by using shopper cards. And not accusing WD of doing so since they won't tell. But that's one of the purpose of having such cards.

Costco can pull every single item you purchased with the membership card, up to date spending total, to how much items you returned.

One plus I give to WD, some newer or remodeled stores got self check out, it's fun to use sometimes.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:41 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
Not that stretchy, your informations are collected somewhere by using shopper cards. And not accusing WD of doing so since they won't tell. But that's one of the purpose of having such cards.

Costco can pull every single item you purchased with the membership card, up to date spending total, to how much items you returned.

One plus I give to WD, some newer or remodeled stores got self check out, it's fun to use sometimes.
Thats Costco, which is membership based. So of course they can see what all you've bought. Thats their whole basis of how you shop there.

WD is way different. Forget the fact that probably well over half the people who fill those cards out use a bogus address/name/phone#, but I'd be surprised if WD could keep track of a bag of dog food let alone thousands & thousands of purchases from different people with their outdated equipment.

Anyways, thats a privacy issue as well & I don't think it says anywhere on those little forms that they keep tabs on what you buy.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Thats Costco, which is membership based. So of course they can see what all you've bought. Thats their whole basis of how you shop there.

WD is way different. Forget the fact that probably well over half the people who fill those cards out use a bogus address/name/phone#, but I'd be surprised if WD could keep track of a bag of dog food let alone thousands & thousands of purchases from different people with their outdated equipment.

Anyways, thats a privacy issue as well & I don't think it says anywhere on those little forms that they keep tabs on what you buy.
Exactly! And it's hard for me to keep track of the bogus information I give them, it's just a hassle!

I'm not even kidding, I make up phone numbers, etc.

The privacy issue is the core of my problem with these cards. My second issue is that they are making money off of my identity (the mining of information as outlined above). If I don't let them profit off of me, I am punished with higher "non-card" prices. I just can't support this kind of corporate behavior and I fight it whenever I can. I'm not going to be swayed by membership points or coupons, just give me the best price and take my money and leave me alone .

Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
I am frankly astonished that i can get a double creme brie, or a good chevre at my Wd, out in the piney woods

Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM

27 posts, read 173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargain shopper View Post
Has anyone shopped at any of the remodelled Winn-Dixies? If so how was it? What could Winn-Dixie do to lure you away from Pubix or Walmart ??
If all the Winn-Dixie's were like the one in Fleming Island, they would bring more shoppers. Personally, I do not like the idea of Walmart or Target for groceries. I was at Walmart in Fleming Island, there was a box of burgers that was abandoned on a shirt shelf, and an employee took it back to the meat dept.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 AM

21 posts, read 78,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Hey, I'll be the first to admit, Winn Dixie's Stores look 100% better and cleaner than 2 years ago. I'll also admit that I made a killing on their stock when they were going through reorganization as well.

But I will drive the extra 10 minutes out of my way to go to Publix and I'll tell you why....the employees.

Winn Dixie seems to go out of their way to hire the most rude, inconsiderate, and often times just plain idiotic staff, and most of them don't give a rats tail about being there.

When you go to Publix, the employees are on top of everything, very well mannered, look you in the eyes and say hello, aren't chatting with the girl or guy working the register 2 lanes over, almost always offer to take your cart to your car for you and always have a pleasant attitude.

On top of that, when you go to Publix, if there are more than 2 or 3 people in line, they'll open another checkout. Winn Dixie will have someone out front smoking a cigarette while they look at you being the 5th or 6th person in an ever growing line.

Now could this just be my specific location, sure, I guess so, but typically corporate culture is passed down from the top that is usually reflective consistently throughout the entire company, and Winn Dixie is publicly traded, which means they are more concerned about shareholders than consumers in the end. Good for me yes, I benefited financially from it, but use the benefits to buy from Publix. Some might see that as being hypocritical, but nevertheless, I am a person who cares about customer service, and until Winn Dixie changes their whole corporate culture from within, the only reason i will shop there is because Publix is closed and there is something I have to have (Diapers, Miracle Whip, whatever).

You call it hypocritical, I call it having your cake and eating it too.

You are right--- Winn Dixie stores are magnets for rude, apathetic workers. It has to be a corporate culture , because from Jacksonville to Miami, they're all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville