Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,557,491 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Florida? Check out the current online issue of Time Magazine and locate the article on Florida. Good grief!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM

147 posts, read 556,968 times
Here' s the link...

Is Florida the Sunset State? - TIME

Geeze!! This author certainly sees his glass half-empty!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM

116 posts, read 417,645 times
::yawn::

Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 PM

472 posts, read 1,539,973 times
Wow! That was a really good article. Nothing we didn't know already, but good none the less. I think it painted a clear picture of South Florida, but luckily, I don't think most of that applies to us. No... we are a whole nother beast.

Here is the link for anyone else who needed it:

Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM

392 posts, read 1,545,650 times
Yes, that was a good article, a nice little history lesson about where modern Florida came from.

I was surprised to find out that south Florida's per capita water use is 50% above the national average. Florida's attitude about resource consumption needs to change.

Florida needs to bite the expensive bullet and build some desalinazation plants, improve the schools, and get some general infrastructure improvements off the ground. It needs to think about the future more than it does, and not have such a cheap attitude.

South Florida's problems do impact north Florida.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,650 times
I agree it's a good piece and there is some stuff for Floridians to be concerned about although the writer is trying too hard to be sensationalistic IMO. I believe he is writing from a Miami perspective and painting the whole of Florida with the same brush. Luckily we are somewhat of a different market from Miami or Orlando and while we too are hurting from the housing downturn, it's not half as bad as, for example, South Florida, Tampa, St. Pete.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,470,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreecity View Post
I was surprised to find out that south Florida's per capita water use is 50% above the national average. Florida's attitude about resource consumption needs to change.
You're telling me. I've never seen such disregard for water conservation until I came here. The entire state is HOOKED on water to keep those lawns looking their greenest in this heat (not to mention all the other chemicals that go into that). Cause you know, can't have your neighbor's lawn being greener than yours. Oh hell no.

But seriously, I know its sunny Florida & a great place to be into that stuff year round, which is fine. But many many people take it too far & it ends up becoming a competition. I've even seen "yard of the month" signs in some neighborhoods around here. *pukes*

Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,176,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Wow! That was a really good article. Nothing we didn't know already, but good none the less. I think it painted a clear picture of South Florida, but luckily, I don't think most of that applies to us. No... we are a whole nother beast.

Here is the link for anyone else who needed it:

I agree completely! I really like this line:

"Florida was once a swampy rural backwater, the poorest and emptiest state in the South. But in the 20th century, air-conditioning, bug spray and the miracle of water control helped transform it into a migration destination for the restless masses of Brooklyn and Cleveland, Havana and Port-au-Prince. Florida developed its own ventricle at the heart of the American Dream--not only as an affordable playground and comfortable retirement home with no income tax but also as a state of escape and opportunity, a Magic Kingdom for tourists, a Fountain of Youth for seniors, a Cape Canaveral for Northerners looking to launch their second acts. Even the soggy Everglades, once considered a God-forsaken hellhole, became a national treasure."

It is so true!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
Putting the housing market stories aside (those were all in South Florida, for the most part), I agree with much of what the author wrote.

Every day here in Jax/Jax area, a little more environmental damage is done . Builders are a common culprit. They'll pay the fines for damaging the river, it's the cheaper choice. They'll lie about their boundaries, it's easy to sway the county to carve out a little protected land for them later (builder to county: "you do want that road I promised you, don't you?!" ).

The water scares are very real. It's a problem here too. Local aquifers are drying up (look at the receding lake lines on the spring fed lakes ). Bad choices on the part of Georgia to our north have crept salination into the aquifers and it's headed our way. Orlando wants to drain the Saint Johns River.

It's all connected and we better start caring soon .

Restoring part of the Everglades is a big step in the right direction. The Everglades are a natural hurricane barrier and we'll be glad when it's back in balance.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:17 PM

541 posts, read 2,278,598 times
I think of North Florida as the twilight zone. Did they film any of those episodes on location in Jacksonville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville