Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,346,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilli View Post
A little off subject but important to some.

Look for the end of the Magnet Schools as we know them! It appears that the school board is going to be forced to allow kids from "F" x 2 schools to attend Stanton Paxon and Douglas Anderson with only an interview. This comes from the so called "brain drain" that magnet schools are blamed for. Many want the magnet done away with so this looks to be at least a temporary fix.
I think they've always allowed students to leave a failing school and attend another, the only thing new is that they've added these magnet schools into the mix. They'd still have to pass the interview process, and with Douglas Anderson, that probably includes a portfolio review or a DVD of a performance - they'd still have to show an aptitude or a talent. I don't see a mass influx of students headed towards Paxon or Douglas Anderson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM

870 posts, read 2,169,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I think they've always allowed students to leave a failing school and attend another, the only thing new is that they've added these magnet schools into the mix. They'd still have to pass the interview process, and with Douglas Anderson, that probably includes a portfolio review or a DVD of a performance - they'd still have to show an aptitude or a talent. I don't see a mass influx of students headed towards Paxon or Douglas Anderson.
To get into Douglas Anderson, one must audition and then choose that school on their magnet application. To get into Stanton and Paxon, one must chose that school on their magnet application and have already passed algebra 1. There is no test or interview process a student must go through for entrance into Paxon/Stanton. I would assume that the students from the "F" schools who would chose Paxon/Stanton will have to have passed algebra 1. The way I read the article was if a student qualified (meaning they have credit in algebra 1), and there the school was not at capacity, then the student could chose to attend Paxon/Stanton without filling out a magnet application.
Of course, I have not talked to any administrator about any of this, so I may be off-based, but I know Paxon/Stanton do not offer algebra 1 in their curriculum.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,241,813 times
Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, and San Marco are all nice neighborhoods that aren't too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville