Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 AM

55 posts, read 153,148 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm closing on a new home in a few weeks. The walkthrough is scheduled for next week. Anyway I wanted to get peoples take on what to look for. Is there anything people have encountered in Ryland built homes that we should point out in the final walk through? So far the builder has been great. Thanks for your help and my family and I look forward to moving down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
I would recommend that you have a third party accompany you, someone who is familiar with construction details (not your broker). Even if you need to hire someone in the business for a fee it's always useful to have objective opinions. I am sure that Ryland is a reputable builder but little things sometimes go unnoticed. Have your floor plans in hand during the walk-through.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatrnnr View Post
Hi, I'm closing on a new home in a few weeks. The walkthrough is scheduled for next week. Anyway I wanted to get peoples take on what to look for. Is there anything people have encountered in Ryland built homes that we should point out in the final walk through? So far the builder has been great. Thanks for your help and my family and I look forward to moving down!
General guideline.
PrintChklist

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Default Hidden items to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatrnnr View Post
This may seem trivial but it is not. Make sure to ask for the warranty papers for the Weatherization System that is installed inside your wall system. Ryland uses the Fortifiber WeatherSmart system, which comes with a 10 year warranty. These papers should be included with your closing package, and you should also make sure to get the name and number of the Installation Company that did the installation to verify that they are Certified by Fortifiber. The Weatherization System is the housewrap that is installed over the OSB on your walls, and is under the stucco/siding on your exterior. If done improperly, you can end up with moisture damage to your walls in a short amount of time, but usually right after the home warranty expires. Here is the link to the data sheet http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/data_s...athersmart.pdf , and I suggest you read the warranty section carefully, and make sure they used a Fortifiber product for the window and door flashings as well as used the Fortifiber tape. Failure to use any of the approved products would void the warranty.

This is a critical component of the construction that cannot be visually seen during your walk through. It's best to inspect this during construction, but as long as you have your warranty papers in hand, that should afford you some level of protection and leverage in the event you have a failure at some point down the road. If you need any additional info send me a message directly, and good luck with your new home!!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:33 AM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
heatrnnr,
I think we are going to be neighbors! I also live in Sevilla by Ryland. We are in phase 1, near the construction trailer, next to the empty corner lot with the loooooonng white fence running toward the woods. I would give them a B+ in bldg quality. Did you have Chad as your super? He's a good guy and always gave good service.

My advice is:

-it's much easier to have things fixed b/f sale after you buy you have to schedule all times for contractors to come b/c before they have a key and come whenever.

-make sure you have a lot of time, don't feel rushed w/ kids or anything. If you can visit before hand and make notes.

-bring a roll of blue tape

-buy a "square" (the triangle thing to make sure corners are 90') and test every corner

-bring a large level (hubby uses atleast a 4') level every thing

-the long level works good b/c you can lay it on drywall to see the bumbs and dips that you won't see until you paint (painting voids your drywall warranty I believe)

-definitely have a private home inspection b/f 1 year warranty walkthru (didn't and wished I had)

-actually take the top of the water shut off valve next to the house (it's a green round lid about 8" diameter) and make sure you can see the turnoff. Mine was actually buried 1' underground. wasn't pleasant to dig out.

so far we have had good experience living in sevilla, the HOA is stilled controlled by Wood Dev. and they have no funds left so we are finding a lot of repairs aren't getting done b/c they have to pay out of their pocket. Currently 1/2 of the 400 or so lots are owner owned, 25% builder owned, and 25% developer owned. So we only have 1/2 the development contributing to HOA costs. I'd be interested in knowing if you rec'v "both" sets of HOA docs. One is World Commerce Residential and the other Sevilla.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM

65 posts, read 198,073 times
this may sound silly but, bring a bar of soap with you... When we moved into our place, we had issue with the soap holders in the showers. It looks level, but when you place a bar of soap on it, it will slip right off..

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

55 posts, read 153,148 times
Thanks for all the advice. We are moving from Chicago and can't wait to get there. It's currently around 90 with a heat index of 100 so we'll be used to the hot weather! We did recieve both hoa docs. I've never dealt with a hoa before so hopefully it's not too bad. Up here the fees for them run minimum 150+ without having anything close to the pool and rec stuff Sevilla has so the monthly fee didn't seem to bad to me. We did have Chad as our super and he's been great. It's good to hear someone talk about Sevilla. It seems like a perfect location to me. How is the construction going on the Lion's Gate shopping area? It seems hard to find any recent updates on it.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:31 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
harajuka I love the soap idea !!!

Another one
bring some type of electrical item, hair dryer or clock and check each outlet
We did not do this and I had a surprise the weekend we moved in and I went to plug in my hairdryer

Old 07-16-2008, 12:57 PM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times
no word on any "guaranteed" occupants of lion's gate....they've been busing moving dirt around and making a really big lake in the back. Hopefully they will keep progressing. Another small shopping center on the corner (i think Golf Park Center) put in all the parking, etc but never any bldgs, and they townhomes that they are bldg behind sevilla got streets, plumbing, etc but Morrison suposedly pulled out before building.

Here's a link to their current bldg ideas for lions gate

Lions Gate at World Commerce :: Retail Leasing :: Weingarten Realty Investors (http://www.weingarten.com/retail/property/8034-999/ - broken link)

Old 07-16-2008, 05:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
If you can, walk through on your own a day or so prior.

This way you can move at your own speed and really take a good close look at everything. You can look at every outlet, try every window, etc. You'll end up with a starting list and you can always add to it from there at the "real" walk-thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville