Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

The part of the article that really stuck out for me was this:

Glover said insurer has spent roughly $1.20 for every dollar collected in premiums in Florida since 2000. State Farm paid out more than $4.4 billion in claims after eight hurricanes struck Florida in 2004 and 2005.

Spent $1.20 for each $1.00 spent on what? It can't be for claims only, it must include the multi-million dollar packages for the CEOs, right?

State Farm Requests 47% Hike On Homes - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/16901688/detail.html - broken link)

Jax being one of the lower risk hurricane areas (for a direct hit), I wonder how many local residents will end up seeing an increase? Or will the increases be focused more towards South Florida and the Gulf areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:10 PM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
Unless the last statement is true, they need an editor.
"State-backed Citizens Insurance is the larger carrier of Florida homeowner policies with roughly 1.2 customers."

Any guess what our gov. would respond to State Farm? I'd tell them to F-off.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 PM

112 posts, read 524,115 times
Makes me happy that I rent. But then again I can see my rent going up next year.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
They jacked up premiums here [WV] same dumb excuses!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
hmmm they claim they had to pay out $4.4 billion over 2 years
Now they say they have 1 million policy holders so lets say the average policy is $1000 a year and we all know south fl folks can be paying 5 or 6 times that amount
You do the math !!!!
What about the years they didn't have to pay out large claims
where did that money go

It is the same "song" that the subprime mortgage companies are "singing"
"woe is me,we lost $xxx million dollars" but what they fail to mention is the $xxxx millions they made off of subprime mortgages each year. Subprime mortgages are very profitable.

Another thing that caught my eye unless the office has duties other than regulating insurance
Why does the Insurance Commissioner need to travel to Europe on the states money for a 10-day trade mission

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
What about the years they didn't have to pay out large claims
where did that money go
Right, somehow, I'm sure they've been making a profit, otherwise they wouldn't be around any longer, right?

It's something I'm watching because if State Farm is allowed to do it, then all the insurers will be allowed to do it - so it's bad for all of us.

I hope the state shoots them down. State Farm has already been reprimanded for how they treated Floridians and the state told them to stop or they would no longer be allowed to sell homeowner's insurance in the state...I hope the state hasn't forgotten that.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:05 PM

66 posts, read 320,111 times
If someone on City Data hadn't shared this website on here, I'd still be with State Farm and lining up for my share of the 47% increase.

I'm glad I didn't hang around for the rest of the Florida homeowners insurance fun with State Farm......

Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Right, somehow, I'm sure they've been making a profit, otherwise they wouldn't be around any longer, right?

It's something I'm watching because if State Farm is allowed to do it, then all the insurers will be allowed to do it - so it's bad for all of us.

I hope the state shoots them down. State Farm has already been reprimanded for how they treated Floridians and the state told them to stop or they would no longer be allowed to sell homeowner's insurance in the state...I hope the state hasn't forgotten that.

I've had Amica since I bought my house 6 years ago and they are the best. Plus, you get a dividend from them every year since policyholders are part owners of the company.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I've had Amica since I bought my house 6 years ago and they are the best. Plus, you get a dividend from them every year since policyholders are part owners of the company.
Amica is great, I was very tempted to go with them . They do charge a lot more though, so at this point, I had to weigh price into the equation more heavily. But when I finally get to my "dream home" and I want to be sure I have the very best in coverage, Amica is on my short list for sure .

Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM

95 posts, read 427,352 times
They are asking for 47%, they will go to the commissor and he says you can have 20%. They agree knowing full well they really only wanted 15%. The Dept of Ins will look great and the commissior will be re-elected and State Farm will get what they wanted in the first place, everyone is a winner except the homeowner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville