Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 23,438 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me some tips on how to sale our home. I think the problem may be with the real estate agent, But we have a nice place on 4.5 acres fenced for horses, We are located in Graham, Fl. Just 15 minutes from UF and Shands Hospital. We are just across the bradford county so you are not stuck paying those huge Alachua county taxes. And our place is really clean and pretty and should have sold already considering we dropped the price by $20,000.00. It's in a rural/private location so we were thinking this may be the problem, It's not clearly visible from the paved road. Our realtor has put out sign's but were just not getting any bites. This is the second time we have had it for sale, The first time it was on the market for 6 month's and only showed 1 time and that was by someone from Jax. We took it off the market when our contract was up and now have it bnack on the market for less. can anyone help me that has sold a house recently? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,214,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa911 View Post
Can someone give me some tips on how to sale our home.
Lower your price until somebody is willing to buy it. That is what your home is worth.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Lower your price until somebody is willing to buy it. That is what your home is worth.
I hate to say it, but I agree. The way the market is right now, you're competing with a lot of foreclosures and short sales, and any buyers in the market right now are the ones looking for the best deals.

She's probably not doing anything wrong, it's just the way the market it, and the only thing that will help in this type of market is to lower the price until someone can resist the deal.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
I agree with the posters above. With gas prices being at the forefront of people's minds these days, some may be second-thinking a rural location too. A fantastic deal (lower price) may be what's needed to make someone take the plunge.

You can also ask your realtor what the supply is for your area - is there a 6 month supply of houses on the market? A year's supply? This will help you to gauge how long your home should take to sell. It just might be that homes are taking 6 months to sell in your area (in which case, you can at least feel "normal" if you fall into that range ).

Old 07-18-2008, 07:37 PM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times
sort of like trying to sell a castle...waiting that one castle buyer, but castle buyer is waiting for the right price.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
YUP it's always price especially now. If you're not getting lookers. You need to compare to the similar properties go IN THEM and see what they have or don't have then lower your price below them.

Go watch HGTV especially "Secrets that Sell" where the mom and daughter go to the house to get it to sell. The people never do what they are told LOL.

Or The staging show...where they show you the comps and show you how they are going to beat them.

Your price reductions have to be ENOUGH to throw you into a DIFFERENT category of buyer. The next level down, not the bottom of your original level...this way people will be NEW to looking at your home. Because you entered THEIR price range.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 42,206 times
I don't necessarily agree with the other posters. There is a buyer for every house without discounting. When will your house will sell for your price - when the right buyer comes along who is willing to pay your price. That may sound dumb but I really mean it. People set prices on their home by what some Realtor tells them, which in most cases is not realistic. What can you do?

1. Go the Bradford County Property Appraiser - Starke, FL - Jimmy Alvarez, Bradford PA - and click property search. Enter your information and you will see what the property appraiser thinks your property is worth. Now, fair market value is generally 20-30% higher than the property appraiser value.

2. Put a parade of home type ad together in your local paper with an rsvp. Or have a home showing party. Tell people you are doing market research only and it is not to buy the house. When people come through the house, hand them a paper & pen where they check what they like and what they don't like about the home. At the bottom there is a space for the viewer to write: If I could change anything in this house I would (blank line). The hardest part is staying unattached.

3. Hold part of the financing.
4. Rent it out until the market shifts.

If you need help you can contact me off the forum.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa911 View Post
Can someone give me some tips on how to sale our home. I think the problem may be with the real estate agent, But we have a nice place on 4.5 acres fenced for horses, We are located in Graham, Fl. Just 15 minutes from UF and Shands Hospital. We are just across the bradford county so you are not stuck paying those huge Alachua county taxes. And our place is really clean and pretty and should have sold already considering we dropped the price by $20,000.00. It's in a rural/private location so we were thinking this may be the problem, It's not clearly visible from the paved road. Our realtor has put out sign's but were just not getting any bites. This is the second time we have had it for sale, The first time it was on the market for 6 month's and only showed 1 time and that was by someone from Jax. We took it off the market when our contract was up and now have it bnack on the market for less. can anyone help me that has sold a house recently? Thanks
I think these are important points though:

The problem might be the realtor - it certainly could be. The realtor should guide you towards pricing the home at market rate, and you can adjust from there. It sounds like the price may have been over market rate initially ("dropped by $20k").

Not getting any bites - that's not good. You should at least have some showings, is that happening? If there are no showings, then the price is usually not compelling enough.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM

147 posts, read 557,044 times
I'm familiar with Graham and it's a lovely area! I would call a Realtor that you know by reputation, not personally, and ask them to be dead on straight with you. Have you made the living envoronment neutral? Have you tried an Open House? Is your Realtor getting the word out???

I have a cousin who is a Realtor in Gainesville and her edge is to help stage her listings if they need a ittle help...you have to do whatever it takes in this market....maybe even holding a B-B-Q to get people to your property. Feed them and they may come! Just a few ideas.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM

870 posts, read 2,168,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellson View Post
I'm familiar with Graham and it's a lovely area! I would call a Realtor that you know by reputation, not personally, and ask them to be dead on straight with you. Have you made the living envoronment neutral? Have you tried an Open House? Is your Realtor getting the word out???

I have a cousin who is a Realtor in Gainesville and her edge is to help stage her listings if they need a ittle help...you have to do whatever it takes in this market....maybe even holding a B-B-Q to get people to your property. Feed them and they may come! Just a few ideas.
When we sold our house in Dallas in 1991, I tried some things to get it sold. Our house had been on the market for about 30 days, and I had heard that agents show new listings, and after the house is on the market three weeks, then showings slow down.

One of the things I did was I advertised an agent walkthrough with a drawing for a prize. The agent had to fill out an information card answering set questions such as what do you think the house should be listed at, what do you think the house would probably sell at, what is the best feature of the house, and what would be a problem of the house that might keep it from selling. At closing, I would draw a card and the agent would get a gift certificate at a local restaurant (a nice one to make sure the agents would do the walk-through). Also, at this walk-through, I had pastries and cold orange juice (it was in the heat of a Dallas summer) for the agents. I wanted them to remember my house.

What I think sold the house was a stack of flyers that I took to as many real estate offices as I could find in the local area. I asked the receptionist if I could leave the stack on the front desk, and would she let the agents know about my offer. This flyer stated that at closing, I would give cash above the commission (I think it was $500, but I would think in this day, it should be more) to the agent who sells my house. We were under contract just a few days after I dropped off that flyer to the offices. I did this all on my own, and told my agent what I was doing. I am conviced that is what sold my house. At that time, the Dallas real estate market was a bust. In fact, foreclosure listings were printed in the paper as in insert similar to the insert that comes in the Friday newspaper here that lists the movie reviews, etc. That's how many foreclosures Dallas had at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville