Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 04:37 PM

76 posts, read 189,312 times

Advertisements

We're relcoating to Jacksonville asap and very frustrated ... any suggestions or insight?

My husband has applied to over 50 jobs (finance positions) and we have not heard back from one ... and he's more than qualified.

Is getting a job in Jacksonville all about networking and who you know ... or does HR just take forever to get back with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,724,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyWhite View Post
We're relcoating to Jacksonville asap and very frustrated ... any suggestions or insight?

My husband has applied to over 50 jobs (finance positions) and we have not heard back from one ... and he's more than qualified.

Is getting a job in Jacksonville all about networking and who you know ... or does HR just take forever to get back with you?
Unless and until you have an address in Jacksonville you may never get a response. If you do it will be an exception to the rule. Job interviewers tend to lean towards applicants who are local. I know it's a catch 22 because nobody wants to relocate first and then go job hunting.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 PM

367 posts, read 693,555 times
Quote:

I had the same problem but then started listing my new address and that seems to have worked. (I am seven days from moving day)Trust me, it is a ROYAL pain in the patoot to look for a job from a distance.

Good luck!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:32 PM

76 posts, read 189,312 times
Thanks ... I guess that will be the next plan of action.

What a pain!!!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,522,969 times
Quote:
Thanks ... I guess that will be the next plan of action.

What a pain!!!
You can get a temp. Florida address to use on your resume from here:

earthclassmail.com

Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,387,461 times
Quote:
or does HR just take forever to get back with you?
I agree with the members above, and it's also what you said - they take their sweet time here in getting back to you .

Old 08-02-2008, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,169 times
I had one company get back to me and only because I stopped in on them while on vacation. I told them when I was moving and like clock work they contacted me about a month before moving to see if I was still coming to Jax. Of course there is no obligation between them and me until I actually move (can't say I blame them!) which is why I am going back at the end of the month to cinch the position. Just have to make sure the income is there. I don't think it could be much different than where I am now (SW Florida).

Old 08-02-2008, 04:23 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,478,085 times
I couldnt even transfer my job from up north to here when I moved, even within the same company, even though I knew for a fact the job was available. Why? You guessed it. Because it was like pulling teeth for these people to get back in touch with me. Calls & emails from both me & my then supervisors, notes tied to carrier pigeons, whatever, they weren't having it because I wasn't here yet I guess. Who knows, like I said, they wouldn't respond to anyone.

After our arrival, a whopping 4 months later & after deciding it was stay at home daddy time for me, these people finally called, with no mention as to why they took their sweet ass time in doing so. I basically told them to go ____ themselves, in the nicest possible way of course. Yeah, probably burned a few bridges, but I honestly don't care because I wouldn't wanna work for a bunch of clowns who operate like that anyway. Thats just ridiculous.

I had the opportunity to transfer to other regions as well & they were all on top of it. So, I think there's definitely something to what everyone is saying about the job market here & the employers attitudes. Maybe its a southern thing in general? Whatever it is, its frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: