Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM

50 posts, read 173,508 times

Advertisements

My husband is a GSM at a multi line dealer. We live in a small/medium town in the mid Atlantic region. We are looking to possibly relocate and Florida is our first choice. I spent a lot of time there as a kid with family in Merritt Island. I've always wanted to live there. I would like to be in Orlando but we would consider the Jacksonville area or Tampa as well.

My husband and I have both looked all over the internet for positions in those areas. He has contacted a couple of places he found online in the last few days but we haven't heard much. I know it is difficult to get a management position from the outside usually. I know at his store they always promote from within.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or reccomendations they would be greatly appreciated. My husband has over ten years experience in the same dealership with 8 of those years in management. He's currently a GSM but has held F&I and secondary and both used and new car management positions. He is excellent at what he does and would be a great asset to any dealership. He would like to find something as a sales manager or GSM but would consider F&I at the right dealership. Reputation in the community is also important to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
There was just a Coggin fair not too long ago, (2 wks ago or so), my husband went for a Tag & Title position, but I know they needed a GSM for one of their locations. They held the fair at the Pontiac off Atlantic Blvd & Southside Blvd., he may want to see if they have any more openings

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply. What is Coggin? Is that a dealership name/chain? Do you have any contact information for them? I would love to send his resume to them if they are looking for a GSM.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
Yes, they are a local dealer ship chain. They actually span down to central Fl as of recently as well.

Here you go! Coggin Automotive Group: Used Cars, Used Trucks, New Car Dealer; Jacksonville, Orlando, Ft Pierce, St Augustine, Kissimmee, Deland, Florida

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Thanks! I'll have to get my husband to send in his resume.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
That's a great lead from Apanda , be sure to give Apanda a positive post rep point (click bottom of Apanda's post or use scales on upper right) .

It's probably just going to take some time. Florida has been hit hard from a few different angles - the recession, Florida's housing decline and a statewide property tax reduction that has impacted city budgets.

All of these factors have a trickle down effect and people aren't shopping as much these days, certainly not for cars. Jax has fared better with the housing decline than some other Florida cities, I can't imagine how bad the impact is being felt elsewhere .

On the positive side, Jacksonville's port is the point of entry for many/most of the cars destined for the US market, so that's an advantage I would think. We have a lot of car dealerships and a lot of used car dealerships (like Auto Direct - a GMAC used car dealership, etc.).

Businesses in Jax tend to take their sweet time in getting back to people about jobs, so don't fret if it takes a while to hear from them too .

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
That's a great lead from Apanda , be sure to give Apanda a positive post rep point (click bottom of Apanda's post or use scales on upper right) .
I always forget about this.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
Call O'Steen VW and talk to the GM there...he's a great guy a native of Jax and will help if he can! Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks! I'll pass that on to my husband. It's a really tough business to get a management job from the outisde in. Especially when you're looking in towns that 10-13 hours away.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
kt_mom
I was at my dealer today and spoke to my friend who is one of the managers there
I am not sure if they have any management positions open but my friend said to give him a call I will DM you his contact info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville