Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 AM

26 posts, read 116,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
From what I have heard, this doesn't happen very much. For the most part storms go off to the south and don't hit us that bad. With that said this has now turned into a hurricane and all bets are off.

We filled water containers, made sure we have non-perishable food, etc. Well, we also made sure that the liquor cabinet is full so we can drink our way through the storm.........

oh ok, just what I was thinking...thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
and tomorrow will probably drop the A/C temp so the house is a lot colder in case we should lose power we have one dog that doesn't do well in heat !
Same here. OMG my house was so cold yesterday at about 69 or 70 compared to the normal 78. NO WAY did I wanna be closed up in here in heat.

Karla, having bulldogs I can relate. There's a cool vest and cool mat you can look into. If the dog is a bigger dog and more sturdy you can put frozen packs in the hiking vest too. The cool mats on a tile floor are really helpful. (I even have one for my car seat)Here's a couple examples, there are other ones too but the Ray Allen one fits the short body and big chest breeds well..

I used the canine cooler blue mat. some people say it leaked in time but mine was fine. My problem was getting the dog to stay on the mat and not my LAP.

Ray Allen - Shopping Cart (http://www.rayallen.com/ramCart/cartFrame.htm - broken link)
Cooling Vests for Animals
Pet Clothes: Pet Wrap Vest (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9441 - broken link)
Cooling Mats
Cooling Pads: Body Cooler Mats for Dogs (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11111&c=3307+78 - broken link)

Old 08-20-2008, 09:16 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times
thanks runswithscissors

hey lol do they make cool mats big enough for people
wouldn't that make working out easier

it looks like now fay will not become a hurricane and will be "reentering" further south
see thats because I have over 20#s of ice in my freezer

Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM

859 posts, read 3,604,929 times
I'm curious to know why every single storm model is showing Fay turning to JAX no matter what.
store shelfs are already low on canned goods...
topping off the gas just in case.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Default Kite guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
Yeah, that was a cool link. Did you see the kite guy? I wonder how he is doing.
I've got a few broken ribs and only a minor concussion. My therapist has put me back on my medication also, so no worries anymore.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
thanks runswithscissors

hey lol do they make cool mats big enough for people
wouldn't that make working out easier
I know, right? I got the cool mat for my car seat on QVC. It's years old and you don't have to do a thing. I keep it on the tile floor and toss it in the car on my way out. Don't see it there now though.

It was on standby for sure when the storm passed over. Today I'm ordering a couple of dog cool mats for myself to throw in the hurricane supply closet!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:34 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
From what I have heard, this doesn't happen very much. For the most part storms go off to the south and don't hit us that bad. With that said this has now turned into a hurricane and all bets are off.
Last I heard it was still a tropical storm. Although that could change are we getting ahead of ourselves?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 AM

367 posts, read 692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Last I heard it was still a tropical storm. Although that could change are we getting ahead of ourselves?
Maybe it is just my lack of knowledge, but there are hurricane watches out for the area, so does that mean it is a hurricane or that it could turn into one?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM

60 posts, read 313,066 times
Someone will correct me if I am wrong. But, a "watch" means that we might have a hurricane within...I think...72 hours? A "warning" means watch out...it is coming within 24 hours. I could be off a bit with the hours. Basically, a "watch" could happen. A warning is a good bit more certain...and sooner.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM

367 posts, read 692,353 times
Well, here is some good news.............

Coast Hugger - FOX30Online.com Jacksonville News Leader

Once "Fay" made it to the coast, it seems to be enjoying the beach life as it's tucked right over -- or even slightly inland -- from Cape Canaveral. "Fay" is slowly drifting north which would extrapolate to a center moving over water later today before bending back to the west south of Jacksonville. As mentioned in previous posts, the water in this area is unseasonably cool -- the combination of this cool water + proximity to land could -- & probably should -- offset the atmospheric conditions that are conducive for strengthening. As NHC states in their early morning discussion, the chance of "Fay" reaching hurricane strength is lower. I'd say the chance for such intensification is near zero. There is a chance -- though it's low -- that "Fay" could manage to sneak east over the Gulf Stream which would then help strengthening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville