Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 58,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
^You've pretty much described most clubs in this country. A business owner isn't going to set out to offend any potential clients. Therefore, you will as a owner try to draw in the largest group of individuals that you can by casting the widest net. Nothing new there.

Actually, there are plenty of clubs that are packed by only focusing on one social group of people, whether it be black, white, hispanic, goth, skaters, preps. There are actually plenty of clubs like that in Jacksonville. It's just that no one here really has any type of identity that they just randomly show up at clubs they really don't belong in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:45 PM

107 posts, read 182,116 times
I remember when the "Girls gone wild" people came to Plush...now that was a fun night!! Oh Yea!!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 AM

14 posts, read 58,142 times
I remember when Plush was charging $100+ to let people in while the superbowl was in town. And I also remember when it was an 18 and under club :P

Old 08-28-2008, 02:14 AM

51 posts, read 183,586 times
To preface my viewpoint, I'll tell you that I'm 33, and I still like clubbin' and going out. I like Aqua (the Globe), Mark's and the Pearl all for different reasons. Jax beach is cool too, because you know it's always a packed party there. I'm not sure, but my feeling is that there are a lot of more family oriented people on City-Data so it might NOT be the best forum to ask such questions.

Also, I'm saddened to find that, with all of you wishing there was a "pub", that no one mentioned London Bridge. They have decent beers and definately a pub atmosphere downtown.

Also, Burrito Gallery on Adams has a bar with Beer Garden in the back that's nice to chill at and listen to music. This is especially true during Art Walk.

Anyway, my thoughts...I was just in SF and went to a club/bar/restaurant called Medjool. It was distinctive because it had a rooftop bar that had a view of the city. Despite the cold, it was packed up top and people were having a good time.
There was a second floor mezzanine level that looked out over the downstairs dancefloor. There were bars on each floor.
The dancefloor was a the dining room until they switched it out at 10pm for the DJ.

I'm not saying that a Jax place needs all of that, but it was sweet to have an outside, rooftop to chill and talk, or go down to dance. Our weather certainly is more conducive to that than SF too. We have a decent view here and I think a place should capitalize on it.

I think any number of those buildings downtown could be renovated to such a task.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM

20 posts, read 46,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheLonely View Post
How about something a little less like the Globe and Bourbon street, and a little less emo than 5 points and downtown, and a little less Paris Hilton style than The Landing?

I'm getting sick of wanting to take my wife out for drinks/dancing only to be surrounded by 18-21 year olds, most of which could easily pass for 16 year olds with fake I.Ds.

I'm only 28, but this is rediculous. I would entirely like to see a club/bar where there is an age limit, of oh say 23. When I lived in Hawaii, most clubs were 21+, and there were a select few that were 23+ and 25+, which Ironically, were the better clubs, because you rarely found the immature wanna-be gangster in there trying to "holla" at the young girls.

As far as music, well, techno is for children, there are enough techno/trance clubs in Jacksonville to satisfy the few remaining pill poppers. Hip hop and rap, well, there is Bourbon Street. What I would like to see, is something similar to one of my favorite night spots in Hawaii, and one that I went to a year or so ago in Miami:

Located near the beach, or Downtown, preferably where people walk, almost in a Landing setting, but not the Landing. Have the majority of the club in a fenced in outside setting, with not really a tent, but something above to prevent rain from getting in while still leaving you with the feeling of nothing above you. 2 stories, bottom is the outdoors dance floor, with a couple outside bars, then an inside area with a bar and some seating, with a DJ actually playing stuff that people 23+ would enjoy listening and dancing to.

Upstairs would be a live band, preferably rock, not emo depressed rock, but rock, or reggae, or something that makes people feel good and relaxed. NO COUNTRY MUSIC EVER, I can not stress that enough, it attracts the wrong type of people, usually the type who hoot and holler and want to start fights just because they had 4 Miller Lights and are trashed.

I'm a tough crowd, I've lived in Detroit, Hawaii, Atlanta, Miami, California, Alaska, and have had the pleasure of partying in all, some were better than others, some were more dissapointing.

1 thing I will mention, is Jacksonvilles nightlife has gone bland as of late. In 98, there were Shades OP and Shades Beaches, The Milk Bar, Club 5, The Paradome, and a few other clubs, and honestly I think those were the best Jacksonville had. There needs to be something different here, I mean hell, Paris Hilton basically gave a huge F-U to "her" club that was started at the Landing. Not that I think anything she says or does is worth anything, but it does give a hint of how aweful it has to be.
You couldn't have put it any better. I remember those clubs of back in the day. Those in my opinion were alot better than what we have now. These clubs here in Jax display no creativity and no desire to play to the crowd. Here, you seen one, seen them all. I truly believe the concept we are coming with will be what most are looking for. I too have been to alot of clubs in the bigger city and honestly, Jax has nothing close. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 AM

20 posts, read 46,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneloc007 View Post
Hey everyone. I want to reach out to all of Jacksonville. I and my partners are looking to open up our own night venue. What we want to know is what is that the Jacksonville people want to see in clubs that they don't have here. What would make in your opinion one of the best entertainment spots Jax has to offer. I really would love your input.
Another thing we are going to be putting in is coffee shop downstairs. Yeah, most people are going to say...oh no not another coffee shop, but it'll be nothing like your typical franchise coffee shop. We want to add character and we want to add the feature where you can just go and be able to chill, maybe read a book or whatever but still be around a social setting. I was looking at some coffee shops around the country and saw some things that I think would go great. But before I say what I saw, share some ideas of what you think would take a coffee shop over the top. Remember, we are looking to cultivate a spot that is going to be somewhat a central point for entertainment...regardless your taste. I invite you's to continue to share your opinion. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 98,985 times
Default Right On, Bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheLonely View Post

NO COUNTRY MUSIC EVER, I can not stress that enough, it attracts the wrong type of people...

I'm a tough crowd...
Hey, Pardner, I resemble that remark!!!

I'll bet that second comment above means... "Hard to please, huh?"

Have you ever considered opening your own club?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnne Lee View Post
Hey, Pardner, I resemble that remark!!!

I'll bet that second comment above means... "Hard to please, huh?"

Have you ever considered opening your own club?
huh?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,268 times
Default 30+ nightlife?

I have read all of the postings, but I still have a question. I am a young 40-something, prefer the 30-40-something age group to hang out with, still like to dance, like the atmosphere of the Eclipse (dark, smoky clubs) but music is getting boring, like everything from 80's alternative to 107.3 and indy, don't like rap or youngsters sucking and grinding the hide off each other. There is just nothing here is there?

Old 11-14-2008, 05:04 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,509,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 748305638 View Post
I have read all of the postings, but I still have a question. I am a young 40-something, prefer the 30-40-something age group to hang out with, still like to dance, like the atmosphere of the Eclipse (dark, smoky clubs) but music is getting boring, like everything from 80's alternative to 107.3 and indy, don't like rap or youngsters sucking and grinding the hide off each other. There is just nothing here is there?
Marks or Dive Bar downtown may interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville