Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
I never considered that the community probably does influence the character of a property management company.

Yes there are lots of families here, lots of kids, good schools, etc. --- however, there are also lots of anxious people who really want the neighborhood to look just so. Landscaping over friendliness.

Having moved from an older and larger city, you do get used to lots of wacky homes - that ones that have been grandfathered in. But when folks move here they want perfection.
If you are buying a house, especially now and especially in Florida you risk the well known symptoms of the non-HOA changing demographics of cars leaking oil, up on blocks or lawns, fake carports made out of metal rods and fabric, then when the fabric gets destroyed just the metal rods, toys all over the place, rubbermaid tubs of crap piled up in the fake carport, inside furniture like sofas outside, trash piled up, deferred maintenance and the list goes on and on.

If you find a neighborhood you like you can see how the neighbors take care of it and hope they don't move out or worse, rent their property out.

Homeowners take a different view than renters. Renters push the envelope usually and only have a short term plan. Of course there are exceptions like me, I rent and treat it like my own but just look around and you see the problems that renters have caused. Because investors or desperate people rent out to tenants with no screening or rules.

I dont see where landscaping and friendliness are mutually exclusive. If you describe friendly as the neighbors not minding crap outside, then no, they probably are not compatible. But we HOA types consider it courtesy. You dont have to look at my junk and vise versa.

I know there are HOA excessive people but the governing body can vote them out. If you are referring to a management company that's a different story. I've lived in an HOA where some dope was up on a ladder looking in my windows so I get the annoying factor. But I'd rather be annoyed and have my home APPRECIATE because the neighborhood retains value than have my home go down the tubes because people don't like some basic rules. JMHO.

By the way, you say "from an older city" but usually your HOAs are not in a city unless it's like a condo building. IME here, your HOAs are in the "suburbs" in subdivisions. (and of course, condos....)

You have to have HOAs in the condos there are safety rules like how thick the sub flooring has to be if you lay flooring and all kinds of cheap people try to skirt those rules all the time. And they are structural and safety not cosmetic. Then you have your types who don't mind living with a clothesline and clothes hanging out on their balcony 24/7 because they want to fight that the state has a rule that you can't stop them if they are doing something energy efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
grsPAFL ... question - are you frustrated by your HOA or by the property management company hired by your HOA?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM

77 posts, read 234,962 times
Default are you frustrated by your HOA or by the property management company hired by your HOA?

I'm using the 2 words interchangeably. I am certainly frustrated by the Mgmt co. They relentlessly enforce landscaping edicts that are inconsistent with what the University of Florida puts out. There are 3 homeowners who've replaced sod 3 times in their front yards, probably due to contaminated soil from disturbing the native soil or importing soil. Each year, it's like the mgmt. company has amnesia. They mindlessly start the citation process from scratch.

Aside from that, I am very dismayed with the neighbor on neighbor anonymous reporting. I can't imagine getting any amount of satisfaction from reporting someone to the mgmt. co. I mean tit for tat stuff.

There is a little nub of land down here, west of 13 that looks unincorporated. It looks like the only place to move to get out of Fahrenheit 451 - and stay in the same school feeder pattern.

This is how people are behaving WITH rules.

The small business owners down here in St. johns are great. I love our PCP. Publix is very good. I don't mind the 1 hour drive to the airport - parking is easy and cheap. I like being 30 min. from the beach. I always bag my dog's crap and I would NEVER snitch on a neighbor :^)

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
... I am very dismayed with the neighbor on neighbor anonymous reporting. I can't imagine getting any amount of satisfaction from reporting someone to the mgmt. co. I mean tit for tat stuff. ... and I would NEVER snitch on a neighbor :^)
Oh grsPAFL, where's your spirit?

Get in the game! LOL

Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 AM

77 posts, read 234,962 times
Default Ha!

Agreatlife -

You're right...
There's fun to be had. I see your point and I like it! <sarcasm>

Last edited by grsPAFL; 08-26-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I am willing to live next to the junkiest homes as long as they are not criminals and I have adequate yard space. It is very distressing that people have nothing better to do that judge someone else's lifestyle. Get a life, start a hobby or do whatever it takes to get away from the communism and kangaroo courts. Life is too short to waste time nitpicking. If someone really bothers you, move out or buy them out. I do believe that if people actually got to KNOW their neighbors instead of persecuting them things would be a lot better. One day someone is going to be pushed too far and explode, do you want to be the next victim?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,736,562 times
Default and that's one reason we have HOAs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I am willing to live next to the junkiest homes as long as they are not criminals and I have adequate yard space.
You have a right to live in a junkie community and I have a right not to live in a junkie community.

Thank goodness, we both have rights ... isn't this a wonderful country?

Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,025,755 times
yes, but do you have a dacha?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
yes, but do you have a dacha?
nope, neither a gulag.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM

Default back to the thread ...

Especially today when RE prices are plummeting in developments, I'd rather live in a nice neighborhood with an HOA than in a nice neighborhood without an HOA.

Neighborhoods can go downhill suddenly and faster than a snowball in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville