Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Especially today when RE prices are plummeting in developments, I'd rather live in a nice neighborhood with an HOA than in a nice neighborhood without an HOA.

Neighborhoods can go downhill suddenly and faster than a snowball in summer.
I don't know if I agree with that.

Who is most likely to be upside down on a mortgage right now? Someone who bought a home in the last couple of years. A new development is full of people who recently bought and some are having trouble paying their mortgages. When times are tough, are you going to spend time and money maintaining a lawn for a house where you're possibly facing foreclosure? HOA rules can only do so much and they can only take action after the fact (after the lawn has been neglected). Hopefully we won't see much more foreclosure fallout than we have now, but who knows? And if there are more foreclosures, who will maintain these houses? And who will pay to maintain these houses?

Neighborhoods can go downhill fast, I think that's true. But we have plenty of long-established non-HOA neighborhoods that have never gone downhill and show no signs of it now.

Honestly, I think the HOAs have been hoisted upon us and there are 2 groups getting very rich off of the fees - the management companies and the lawyers on retainer. Beyond that, I don't think HOAs do much for anyone.

If you want a new or newer home though, you're stuck with an HOA. That's the one and only reason I built in an HOA neighborhood. And the hype about "protecting property values" is nothing but a sales tactic. If it were true, why have HOA neighborhoods dropped in value just as non-HOA neighborhoods have? The HOA neighborhoods are not impervious to the reality of the real estate market, they just have better landscaping at their entrances .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 PM

77 posts, read 234,898 times
Default One day someone is going to be pushed too far and explode, do you want to be the next victim?

You mean like Waco? Yeah, I'm feeling that.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsPAFL View Post
You mean like Waco? Yeah, I'm feeling that.
You're going to go Waco on your HOA management company?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
A better form of insurance is to only buy in an area with large lots. The larger the amount of land each house has, the lower the risk of becoming a dangerous area. As for property values, the lower they fall the lower your taxes. If your property becomes worth less than 50.000.00 it becomes yours!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Larger Lot

My kid would kill me. We need other children for our child - and for us too. In our experience - the larger the lot the more people want to be left alone.

This was our situation in Chicago - very pastoral neighborhood. But lots of loners needing more alone time.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
grsPAFL -- have you attended a HOA board meeting? not to speak necessarily, but to observe. It would be interesting to see if the board is akin to the woman in the movie Over the Hedge or if the board is weak and meekly succumbs to an overpowering management company.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM

Default mawipafl

No - haven't attended. I've gone as far as reading the online meeting minutes.
I will try --- knowing that public commentary is saved for the final credits.

BTW - You live in Eagle Harbor. Our agent kept trying to get us out there but it seemed too far from my DH's job (nearer the beach). She told us about the friendly atmosphere and their activities. Now I can see that she read us correctly. At the time I couldn't figure out why she kept going on and on about Eagle Harbor.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM

197 posts, read 752,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I don't know if I agree with that.

Who is most likely to be upside down on a mortgage right now? Someone who bought a home in the last couple of years. A new development is full of people who recently bought and some are having trouble paying their mortgages. When times are tough, are you going to spend time and money maintaining a lawn for a house where you're possibly facing foreclosure? HOA rules can only do so much and they can only take action after the fact (after the lawn has been neglected). Hopefully we won't see much more foreclosure fallout than we have now, but who knows? And if there are more foreclosures, who will maintain these houses? And who will pay to maintain these houses?

Neighborhoods can go downhill fast, I think that's true. But we have plenty of long-established non-HOA neighborhoods that have never gone downhill and show no signs of it now.

Honestly, I think the HOAs have been hoisted upon us and there are 2 groups getting very rich off of the fees - the management companies and the lawyers on retainer. Beyond that, I don't think HOAs do much for anyone.

If you want a new or newer home though, you're stuck with an HOA. That's the one and only reason I built in an HOA neighborhood. And the hype about "protecting property values" is nothing but a sales tactic. If it were true, why have HOA neighborhoods dropped in value just as non-HOA neighborhoods have? The HOA neighborhoods are not impervious to the reality of the real estate market, they just have better landscaping at their entrances .
I agree with you. I have been searching online for homes in Florida. It appears to me, homes with high HOA dues seem abundant in foreclosures. Newer homes appear to be cheaper because the HOA dues are so high. Older homes appear to hold their value because of low HOA dues or none at all.

iuki

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
My HOA dues are a whopping $50 a year. I'm not gonna quibble about 50 bucks a year for some degree of oversight if it deters my next-door neighbor from painting his house purple.

I opted to buy a house in a HOA community, it was my choice and I was in synch with the rules of the covenant, and in retrospect I am glad that I did. The choice is yours when you are house hunting, you can look elsewhere.

I agree with Riveree that we have plenty of long-established non-HOA neighborhoods that have never gone downhill. But we also have HOA and non-HOA neighborhoods that have indeed gone downhill. Bottom line is that HOAs cannot guarantee the survival of neighborhoods and in fact that is not the intent of HOAs. What it does however is tell the new homeowner who is now moving into that foreclosed house that there are some rules to follow in order to maintain some order and maintenance in the community.

I will grant you that the upheaval that we have seen in this market has been alot less prevalent in the long-established neighborhoods than in the newer developments where 1 of every 10 houses (usually flippers) had a for-sale sign out front. What I said earlier was that now that those prices are plummeting and we are seeing a whole new influx of buyers of those re-priced houses the role of HOAs may become even more relevant.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
grsPAFL ... yes, I'm in Eagle Harbor, and admittedly I'm quite bias about the community because I live here, and IMHO it's exactly as your realtor described. Hands down decision for us. However, it's not for everyone, especially those who have to commute over the Buckman. As well, many of the streets are through-streets and some people prefer cul-de-sacs. Additionally, it is cookie-cutter - although there were a number of different builders, many of the houses look so much alike in structure and color. But all of this is minor for us since EH is the perfect fit for our lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville