Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,734,679 times

Advertisements

Are there safe places for teenagers to socialize in Orange Park/Clay County ? I just observed a lot of teenagers hanging out at the Walmart parking lot on Blanding. Probably because it is open 24 hours.

Aside from their own homes/Movie theater (Orange Park Mall), where else is there?

I don't think we will settle down here but what if we do?

What is out there? Maybe some niche/business should cater to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
I can only speak for the 18-21 crowd, and there's truly not a heck of a lot to do for that age group. And it's not just an OP thing -- it's essentially a problem everywhere in the USA. I would suspect that it's the same for high school age teens as well.

There's a huge generation gap, in most cases, between 15 year olds and 18 year olds. What's cool for a 10th grader is not so cool for a 12th grader. Much of it has to do with pre-drivers license and post-drivers license which lends to different levels of emerging independence.

Over the years, our community has organized a number of events and activities for teens, but it's been discovered that the kids up to 10th grade (or so) have been the participants -- 11th and 12th graders just don't want to bebop with 9th and 10th graders.

It would be huge if some niche/business could figure out a way to cater to all age groups and to let them stay separate from one another so that the 'whatever' was considered cool by all.

P.S. You know what though ... thinking about the olden days (um, when I was a teen), things today aren't much different really than they were then. We had high school sports and dances as the main focus of our social life, as well as hanging out in rumpus rooms (dating myself here), but otherwise there were certain streets and wooded areas that were hang-out spots. We didn't have the malls nor the huge cinema complexes, but if we did, I'm sure they would have been hang-out places for us, too.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 AM

If there were something like a Dave and Busters (without the alcohol) for them to socialize that would be great.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 AM

233 posts, read 766,645 times
Adventure Landing on Blanding, maybe? Or would that be too old for them? (It's like Dave and Busters in that they have video arcades) Anyway, having been there, I've seen teenagers hanging out there.

Are you talking high-school aged teenagers or college-aged? There are churches that have youth and college-age groups, and if that's not your forte... Isn't there also a skating rink in OP (Skate Station?) or bowling? Other than the mall and theaters ...and Walmart, I really don't know. Just my experience.

It may seem trite, but I think they (both Jax & OP) should have youth centers where teenagers can hang out in a safe environment. (Or does that idea seem a little '80s?)

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteadyVibe View Post

Are you talking high-school aged teenagers or college-aged?
They look like high school students to me.

I don't think College students hang out in Walmart Parking lots around 11 PM. At least, I didn't in the Horse and Buggy Days.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,802 times
I can't even remember what I did back than. *cries*

Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,680 times
Is there any city ordinance code against group gatherings in public areas (mall, shopping center parking lots)?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
I can't even remember what I did back than. *cries*
I worked all through High School, so that ate up a chunk of time. I was involved with a bit of sports, but work took priority over sports. I was also involved with the art scene in HS, so when there was a school play or something, I'd help my friends out who were making the sets. When I had other free time, I had the money to do what I wanted - go to the movies, shop, go to concerts (did a lot of that).

I can't say I stayed out of trouble, but I was never at a lack of things to do, I wasn't bored.

I think those kids hanging out in the Walmart parking lot need jobs ! If they're hanging out at Walmart, they have too much time on their hands .

Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 PM

14 posts, read 58,304 times
I wouldn't let my teenager hang out anywhere in Orange Park, that's just my opinion. I would keep them locked in the house and home schooled. But that's just me.

Send them to the bowling ally, the mall, ect. I would be hasty though about letting them be at the movie theaters past 8-9, unless you have a daughter who want's to dress like a hooker or a son who think's he's a gang banger. I haven't been to Orange Park's theater in almost 6 years just for that simple fact.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,184 times
they need to make more places for teens to hangout that are free and everyone can just have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville