Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

6 posts, read 19,725 times

Advertisements

We have been working with Advantage Homes (TC Construction) in St. John's county about building a home in Aberdeen. Has anyone ever worked/built with them? We would like to know what kind of reputation they have, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Default Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo1 View Post
We have been working with Advantage Homes (TC Construction) in St. John's county about building a home in Aberdeen. Has anyone ever worked/built with them? We would like to know what kind of reputation they have, etc.?
Research your builers thoroughly everyone. One of my biggest accounts notified me on Wednesday afternoon that "one of their banks" is forcing them into Chapter 11. Turns out the truth was that 13 of their banks were petitioning them to file Chapter 11, which they are going to do by September 16th.

I did a little research for you on Advantage Homes. As for TC Construction: www.sunbiz.org - Department of State=

They've been around a few years apparently, but I do not understand their relationship with Advantage Homes, which I found here: www.sunbiz.org - Department of State=

I would ask for clarification as to whose license they are working under, what the relationship is between the two companies, and also check with their bank as to their liquidity position. Subs are getting burned left and right these days, and the increase of liens being places on homes is increasing substantially. Chances of you getting a home that you end up having to pay the subs on something because the primary contractor did not are high these days. Ask the contractor for copies of all lien waivers from the subcontractors and the material suppliers. They should have no problem doing this, it's a standard industry practice. If they cannot or will not do this...you need to be very concerned.

I'm not saying this is the case with Advantage Homes (or TC Construction), I do not know anything about this company. I've dealt with just about every builder in town in some form or fashion for the last 8 years, and this is a new name for me.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 PM

6 posts, read 19,725 times
I asked the Real Estate agent that sells at the Advantage office - she said TC Construction is a partnership between 2 builders that worked for Watson Construction, which recently went bankrupt, so they formed their own company. All of their plans are from Watson. She said they recently sold 21 homes in WaterLeaf off Kernan in Jax

Old 09-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo1 View Post
I asked the Real Estate agent that sells at the Advantage office - she said TC Construction is a partnership between 2 builders that worked for Watson Construction, which recently went bankrupt, so they formed their own company. All of their plans are from Watson. She said they recently sold 21 homes in WaterLeaf off Kernan in Jax
There's a lot of new builders being started by people who were laid off or otherwise lost their jobs because of all the downsizing. I've seen the Advantage signs, I work for KB in Waterleaf. Maybe you could put in a good word for me there and I could go work for them.

I think the market is ripe for these kinds of builders to crop up. The land is cheap, cost of building is cheap, and if they've got the capital, now is the perfect time to start up a new builder. Sell out in 5-6 years to a big national, it's how it's been done for years here. I wish them luck and I hope I can get in the door with them.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,387 times
1. Where is Advantage Construction building in St John's County? I'm asking as I am looking to build a home and I saw a model of theirs in Jax and I liked it.

2. Have you found any addition info or referrals on Advantage?

3. Advantage claims that they can build their house in 90 days. Anyone have any idea if this is accurate?

Thank you!!

Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team2000 View Post
1. Where is Advantage Construction building in St John's County? I'm asking as I am looking to build a home and I saw a model of theirs in Jax and I liked it.

2. Have you found any addition info or referrals on Advantage?

3. Advantage claims that they can build their house in 90 days. Anyone have any idea if this is accurate?

Thank you!!
I've called the number listed on the signs in Waterleaf and no one has returned my call for weeks now.

As for building a home in 90 days, it can be done easily. Before I entered into the residential construction industry, I was in commecial construction. We typically built restaurants (which have way more plumbing, hvac, electrical, equipment, furniture, etc.) in 90 days start to finish. At one time towards the end of my fathers tenure, we decided we were going to delve into a little residential just to see how it would go and we bought a bunch of lots (about a city blocks worth) down in Crescent City.

We built a single family home that was about 1400 sq. ft. in 2 weeks. It blew me away when I first got into residential how long it actually takes them to build these houses. I still don't quite get it, but I think it's partly attributable to a frame of mind. The jobs that I go out and do for builders, I'll do a 3 story townhome in a day, day and a half at the most. Every single other company in town that does the same thing I do would take at least 1-2 weeks.

I know inspections play a big part in the length of time it takes to finish these projects...and inspectors, as slow as things are these days, are getting way overboard in failing inspections. So yeah, 90 days with the right mindset is definitely feasible.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,527 times
90 days to build a house... maybe if it's a small house without any high end finishes, plus all of the subs are working in the same neighborhood and can all start immediately when you call them, plus they can be there immediately to fix anything if an inspection fails. For larger homes with more details and finishes, it will take longer than 90 days.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,271 times
They are great builders if you clarify everything you want in the offer. Make sure to include every upgrade as a level 2 or 3. Also, check out their design center forst, not a big selection to choose from in the standard category. Ask lots of ??? from sales associates as to what is included before making an offer-Ex: 2 coach lights-The answer is only 1-you will have to draw up 2 in an offer. Tile backsplash-Not included. HArdwood floors-Not included, etc. AND THE LIGHTING PACKAGE IS AWFUL!!!! ASK FOR level 3 in your upgrade offer.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,271 times
Oh yeh, it took them over 90 days to build my home. But they are very precise with everything. I would rather it take 120 days and be done right.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,073 times
Thumbs down About the 90 Days

TEAM 2000: They are not offering 90 Days building anymore... we've been offered that (the guy even mentioned a 60 day option on a small house) and then they have changed their version to 120 days (I'll let you know how long will they take for real).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville