Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 AM

38 posts, read 99,150 times

Advertisements

We are wondering about the Jacksonville cable services. We aren’t TV watchers, but we enjoy the commercial-free radio that comes with Cox Cable here in Arizona. Of course, we use the high-speed cable Internet access a lot. Unfortunately, Cox pretty much has a monopoly on all cable services here in the Phoenix area.

What is the best cable service in Jax? We want to look at their offerings and see what might be the best value. We also want to know which cable service is most reliable. Here in Phoenix Cox cable has far too many outages for far too long a duration. It is very annoying.

Thanks,

Dianne and Johnne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 AM

702 posts, read 2,180,555 times
Comcast is the one that serves most of Jacksonville.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM

754 posts, read 2,808,604 times
As far as I know, there is only one cable company here: Comcast. I believe someone else mentioned that AT&T Uverse is on the way, though.

I've had mixed results with Comcast. I guess it's like anything else: when everything's working, it's great; when it's not working, it stinks. Simplistic, perhaps, but true.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Thanks to both of you...

Hi Folks,

We appreciate the information. We better go and look at the Comcast Website, huh?

Take care,

Johnne Lee

Old 09-11-2008, 08:12 PM

859 posts, read 3,610,514 times
Comcast is mostly reliable here, unless there's storm related issues. But that'll depend on the neighborhood your in, overhead or underground cables.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,712,217 times
Comcast has been reliable for us. When we had Fay, we didn't lose the phone, net or TV. We use Comcast triple play.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Overhead???

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post

...overhead or underground cables.
How is the overhead coax installed and maintained? The cable coax here in Arizona is far to wimpy to survive anywhere but in conduit in the ground.

I'm a Ham Radio Operator and I use far better coax than the cable providers use.

Thanks for the feed back.

Which system do you see as best? Over...or...Under...

Johnne Lee

Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Comcast has been reliable for us. When we had Fay, we didn't lose the phone, net or TV. We use Comcast triple play.
We lose cable services in a anything that resembles rain. It is very unreliable in Arizona. Our neighborhood was just re-cabled and the service quality was not improved, it was degraded. Noting like a monopoly, huh?

BTW, are you an Orthopedic Surgeon?

Johnne Lee

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,389,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnne Lee View Post
How is the overhead coax installed and maintained? The cable coax here in Arizona is far to wimpy to survive anywhere but in conduit in the ground.

I'm a Ham Radio Operator and I use far better coax than the cable providers use.

Thanks for the feed back.

Which system do you see as best? Over...or...Under...

Johnne Lee

For service, underground cable beats overhead, hands down. Comcast probably finds it easier to repair overhead cables, but that's another matter.

How are the overhead cables maintained? They wait until a tree knocks the wires to the ground and then they fix/upgrade them...it's a pretty basic maintenance program .

But you get what you get here. If you choose to live in a newer neighborhood, you'll probably have underground cables. If you like older neighborhoods - near the river, for example - your wires will most likely be overhead.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Default Thanks, R!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
For service, underground cable beats overhead, hands down. Comcast probably finds it easier to repair overhead cables, but that's another matter.

How are the overhead cables maintained? They wait until a tree knocks the wires to the ground and then they fix/upgrade them...it's a pretty basic maintenance program .

But you get what you get here. If you choose to live in a newer neighborhood, you'll probably have underground cables. If you like older neighborhoods - near the river, for example - your wires will most likely be overhead.
I appreciate the information, R.

I can live anywhere my Dear Wife wants me to hang my hat. After all those early years in the U.S.Army, I can live out of a bag and a box.

Thanks again,

Johnne Lee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville