Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 AM

37 posts, read 91,159 times

Advertisements

OK I don't want to hear about crime rates b/c neither area concerns me regarding crime and I have seen the crime rate debates rage on endless at times on this website...I am a 30'ish single guy considering a home/condo purchase on either side of the river. What are the pro's/con's of these neighborhoods?

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:37 AM

329 posts, read 1,275,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crslnd View Post
OK I don't want to hear about crime rates b/c neither area concerns me regarding crime and I have seen the crime rate debates rage on endless at times on this website...I am a 30'ish single guy considering a home/condo purchase on either side of the river. What are the pro's/con's of these neighborhoods?

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
Both neighborhoods are beautiful and historic. Where do you work?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 AM

116 posts, read 419,420 times
Riverside pros: It's hip, "artsy", casual, plenty of little shops, bars and restaurants, unique housing options (bungalows, traditional condos, soft loft condos, victorian homes, etc.), generally-speaking it's less expensive than San Marco, the upcoming return of the 5-points theater is very cool, there's a Publix right in the neighborhood, lots of public parks around, less traffic than San Marco.

Riverside cons: roads are narrow and full of pot-holes, floods easily (so does San Marco), wider range of income levels in the area so you're more likely to see some of the stuff that comes along with lower-income neighborhoods milling about.

San Marco pros: it's more "upscale", San Marco square has tons of shops and restaurants, property values are generally higher than Riverside, there are fewer "seedy" areas adjacent to the neighborhood, closer to the Southside/JTB area if you work over there or to go to the malls.

San Marco cons: no grocery store in the neighborhood, lots of "yuppies" (may not be a con to everyone), less diverse selection of housing options, floods badly (particularly closer to downtown and the river), fewer public parks and recreation areas.

Personally, I have lived in San Marco and loved it...now I live on the other side of the river (not Riverside though) but I spend a lot of time in Riverside and Avondale. For my money, I'd rather live in Riverside than San Marco because I like the more casual atmosphere and I like the older houses and diverse architecture at a more affordable price. For you, it depends on a) what kind of house/condo you're looking for, b) how much you want to spend, and c) what kind of lifestyle you live to determine which neighborhood is best suited for you.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:31 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE4309 View Post

San Marco cons: no grocery store in the neighborhood, lots of "yuppies" (may not be a con to everyone), less diverse selection of housing options, floods badly (particularly closer to downtown and the river), fewer public parks and recreation areas.
San Marco will eventually get a grocery store, but it's going to be a while. In the meantime, most residents just drive into neighboring Lakewood where there is a Winn Dixie (a nice one actually) and a Publix. There is a new Publix being built in Lakewood as well, they should be breaking ground soon. There's also a couple of bakeries, a seafood market, etc., so there's plenty of food shopping options in Lakewood and San Marco folks barely need to leave their zip code to do it (San Marco and Lakewood share the 32207 zip) .

There are 15 public parks in San Marco, I believe the neighborhood has more public parks than any other neighborhood. There is nothing that rivals Riverside's Memorial Park though, San Marco only has one tiny riverfront park.

I agree, housing options do differ, so one area might be better than the other depending on what you're looking for.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks! I think Riverside is more for me...but sometimes I 2nd guess myself. I am into laidback and as one of you pointed out San Marco sometimes has a little more upscale feeling to it...I also love the publix right in the neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE4309 View Post

Riv

Personally, I have lived in San Marco and loved it...now I live on the other side of the river (not Riverside though) but I spend a lot of time in Riverside and Avondale. For my money, I'd rather live in Riverside than San Marco because I like the more casual atmosphere and I like the older houses and diverse architecture at a more affordable price. For you, it depends on a) what kind of house/condo you're looking for, b) how much you want to spend, and c) what kind of lifestyle you live to determine which neighborhood is best suited for you.
-very helpful b/c it reiterates my thoughts...Thanks and not huge yuppie/turbo fan...

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM

116 posts, read 419,420 times
Glad to help...let me know if you need any other help finding a place!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crslnd View Post

Thanks for your help.

Jeremy
San Marco is closer to downtown than Riverside is. San Marco Square is more for the yuppie, Five Points is more the emo and hipsters types. Five Points has more Bars but I think San Marco Square has more places to eat. Both are urban, but just different crowds.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:51 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,275,366 times
Riverside is better in everyway. =P

Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM

27 posts, read 159,154 times
Anyone remember the old Setzers Grocery store in San Marco that had the flashing marquee lights? And they also had an A & P grocery store. There was also a Daylight Grocery Store ( I think that was the name) right on the corner going out towards Phillips Hwy or the beaches..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville