Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnne Lee View Post
I knew there had to be something that made me like you!!!
Yeah, us pit lovers are a rare breed !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 04:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,013,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Yeah, us pit lovers are a rare breed !
Don't forget to add me to the list

As Riv knows I am a "nanny" to one of the sweetest pits around

Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 AM

38 posts, read 99,008 times
Default A Pit is the best all-round dog in existence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Hey Karlee and Riv,

It is amazing what misinformation can do to a breed...

The Pit Bull is the ONLY breed to have a single dog win championships in 8 different disciplines. Pit Bulls are greatly over-represented in the list of Multidiscipline champions. A PB can truly do it all! Including baby sit the grandkids.

I'm just hoping that the PB doesn't go the way of the Doberman. BSL probably started with Dobes in California back in the '60s. Because of that reputation, the Dobe has been turned into a glorified Greyhound by most breeders and the AKC. Other than Barrie Hoytt there really isn't a long-protected Dobe line anymore. I wish I could afford one of Barrie's Dobes!

This is one of the reasons I tend to want to support responsible PB breeders. There is just so much more to being a responsible breeder than not being involved in dog fighting. Breeding quality dogs of any breed or type is an expensive proposition. I'd just hate to see responsible PB breeders swayed the wrong way because of BSL and PB Rescues negative impact on the sales of quality PBs.

Well, at least I'll have a couple of folks in Jax who will understand my love for the PB!

Johnne Lee

Old 09-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

Talk about a shovelhead, that dog is enormous! He is a big softie though !

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnne Lee View Post
Hey Karlee and Riv,

It is amazing what misinformation can do to a breed...

The Pit Bull is the ONLY breed to have a single dog win championships in 8 different disciplines. Pit Bulls are greatly over-represented in the list of Multidiscipline champions. A PB can truly do it all! Including baby sit the grandkids.

I'm just hoping that the PB doesn't go the way of the Doberman. BSL probably started with Dobes in California back in the '60s. Because of that reputation, the Dobe has been turned into a glorified Greyhound by most breeders and the AKC. Other than Barrie Hoytt there really isn't a long-protected Dobe line anymore. I wish I could afford one of Barrie's Dobes!

This is one of the reasons I tend to want to support responsible PB breeders. There is just so much more to being a responsible breeder than not being involved in dog fighting. Breeding quality dogs of any breed or type is an expensive proposition. I'd just hate to see responsible PB breeders swayed the wrong way because of BSL and PB Rescues negative impact on the sales of quality PBs.

Well, at least I'll have a couple of folks in Jax who will understand my love for the PB!

Johnne Lee
I see what you're saying, and I know there are some responsible pit breeders out there. There are a ton more that breed for "looks", as you know.

I've had a lifetime of dog rescue, my father did it before me and I was raised around dogs he'd find on the street or from kill shelters, many of them bully breeds, so that's where my heart is. Until we can get pet overpopulation under control, they will continue to die and the pit bull is getting hit hardest of all. To top it off, BSL and insurance company blacklists make even the best-intentioned potential owner shy away from pitties, so their available homes are few. I wish I could envision as you do, but I'm stuck in the mire .

Sounds like you know just how to get to that honorable breeder though and you'll find that perfect lucky dog .

Check out our dog forum here when you get a chance, lots of pit lovers on there .

Old 02-17-2009, 04:02 PM

153 posts, read 442,445 times
Default Off-leash St. Augustine area walks?

Are there any parks or beaches in the greater St. Augustine area where one can safely take long off-leash walks with a well-behaved dog?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
Are there any parks or beaches in the greater St. Augustine area where one can safely take long off-leash walks with a well-behaved dog?
I don't think there's anywhere where it's legal to walk off-leash except in dog parks. (Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Not too far north, in Ponte Vedra, is Davis Park (off-leash dog park).
Davis Park

Treaty Park, in St Augustine on Wildwood Drive, has Paws Dog Park.
Treaty Park

Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times
Well, I personally have had a heck of a time trying to find a beach around here that just allows dogs period. I've been to Talbot Island, all around Jax beach, Ponte Vedra, etc & cant find anything. There was a small beach near Talbot (right before you get to Talbot) that did allow them, but it was a pay beach & you couldn't take them off the leash under any circumstances. Bleh.

Im sorry, but its pointless to take my dog to the beach & keep him of a leash the entire time. Thats like torture for him cause all he wants to do is run & play the whole time like the rest of us.

I understand not everyone wants to share beaches with dogs & I can respect that, but Im saying there isnt ANY place that I've even heard of around here where I can do that. And I've lived on the coasts of SC, NC, TX, etc & have never had this much of a problem. So IMO, the Jax area beaches arent very dog friendly at all. None of them.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,917,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Well, I personally have had a heck of a time trying to find a beach around here that just allows dogs period. I've been to Talbot Island, all around Jax beach, Ponte Vedra, etc & cant find anything. There was a small beach near Talbot (right before you get to Talbot) that did allow them, but it was a pay beach & you couldn't take them off the leash under any circumstances. Bleh.

Im sorry, but its pointless to take my dog to the beach & keep him of a leash the entire time. Thats like torture for him cause all he wants to do is run & play the whole time like the rest of us.

I understand not everyone wants to share beaches with dogs & I can respect that, but Im saying there isnt ANY place that I've even heard of around here where I can do that. And I've lived on the coasts of SC, NC, TX, etc & have never had this much of a problem. So IMO, the Jax area beaches arent very dog friendly at all. None of them.
I disagree - I think the Jax beaches are dog-friendly. In other coastal places I've lived, either dogs weren't allowed on the beach at all or only during the "off" season and just in the early morning or after late afternoon.

Dogs aren't allowed on state-owned beaches -- well, I'm actually not sure if that's a rule for all state beaches, but it is for Anastasia as exampl. But beaches owned by municipalities can have their own rules. On Jacksonville Beach, for example, dogs are welcome before 9 am and after 5 pm all year long. Other beaches are the same. I believe there's a beach (and dang I cannot remember which one) that allows dogs at any time of day.

Best of all, most First Coast beaches are free -- no charge to use, no charge to park. One would have a hard time finding that on the Jersey Shore or coast of New England.

Dogs are allowed in National Parks, or at least in most of them. Timacuan National Preserve and Fort Caroline area have great trails for dogs and owners. This area is free to use and parking is free.

As for leashes, it's a given that dogs must be attached to one because of leash laws. If you want to relieve your dog's "torture" and let him run and play, go to a fenced off-leash dog park -- there are many - some free, some with paid membership. We love the park off Penman (off Beach Blvd in Jacksonville Beach.) It's free, it has a big dog section and a little dog section.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
St. Augustine beaches are also dog-friendly, as long as your dog is on leash.

Actually I would not be opposed to an ordinance that prohibited dogs on the beach altogether, leash or no leash. And that's coming from one who loves dogs and has one of his own. Some dogs are not as discrete as humans when nature calls. And some dog owners are not all that considerate of other beach goers.

I'm all for giving dogs free rein in dog parks though. Somehow those little souvenirs that dogs leave behind are more of a turn-off on pristine white sand than on grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville