Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM

23 posts, read 103,624 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of either screening our patio or making it a sunroom which will be mainly used as a toy room. Which option would be better? Please share your opinion.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 02:31 AM

870 posts, read 2,178,836 times
If all you have are screens, the wind blows in dirt constantly.

I would vote for a sunroom. The room will stay cleaner, and you will be able to use it year round (as long as you have a/c vents in the room).

Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,068 times
If it`s a toy room I would go with sun room not only for dust blowing in but sometimes the rain goes sideways and it will soak everything.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
I have a screened in lanai. My friend has a glass enclosed sunroom.

If you opt for the glass enclosed sunroom, it will need a dedicated air conditioning unit/fans. The advantage is that you don't deal with dirt or pollen. He spent about $20k.

I have a screened in lanai with 2 large fans. The breeze is nice when I sit outside. However, I do have to pressure wash the ground and furniture once every 8 weeks since there is exposure to nature and the elements. Sometimes lizards enter through the gaps in the screen door. I spent only $3300 (including the fans). Mine was paid off in cash and he is still paying on his.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,500 times
I too opted for a screened lanai because of my very active pet lab and it's kinda outdoors too as opposed to a sunroom. So it is really a toy room for my dog.

Also the screened lanai added only about $50 to my annual tax bill and zero to my insurance.

I'm still trying to figure out how the screen is able to keep the bugs out but still lets in those lizards and tiny frogs (there's another name for them). I inspected every inch of the screen and can't find a gap anywhere.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKA210 View Post
We are thinking of either screening our patio or making it a sunroom which will be mainly used as a toy room. Which option would be better? Please share your opinion.

Thanks.
I have a screened back porch and I'm thinking of enclosing it and then adding an uncovered deck out back. Like the others said, the back porch gets really dirty quick.

I will DM you a couple contractors that I know are very reputable also.

SS

Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 103,624 times
Thanks everybody for ur opinions.
We already have a covered patio with 3 sides being wall and we have to close the 4th side either with screen or glass. Definitely we are NOT thinking of spending anywhere closer to $20K especially in this housing market. Most of my friends did the screen. Thanks for letting me know that Lizards, frogs can come thru the screen. We wanted a screen in the first place to block those lizards , frogs and their babies.
Just one more question, How can the glass /sunroom withstand hurricanes? and also does my insurance go up?

"Shakenstirred"---Can u please DM me again. I didn't get it as my pop-up blocker was ON.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM

377 posts, read 1,727,429 times
We have an enclosed sunroom. You definitely need air and depending on how the sun hits the room, you might want to get tinted windows to block out some of the direct sunlight. We had pocket sliding glass doors installed between the main house and the entrance to the sunroom, so when you slide open the doors, they're concealed in the wall, which makes it more open between the 2 rooms and makes the sunroom feel more part of the house.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REKA210 View Post
Thanks everybody for ur opinions.
We already have a covered patio with 3 sides being wall and we have to close the 4th side either with screen or glass. Definitely we are NOT thinking of spending anywhere closer to $20K especially in this housing market. Most of my friends did the screen. Thanks for letting me know that Lizards, frogs can come thru the screen. We wanted a screen in the first place to block those lizards , frogs and their babies.
Just one more question, How can the glass /sunroom withstand hurricanes? and also does my insurance go up?

"Shakenstirred"---Can u please DM me again. I didn't get it as my pop-up blocker was ON.
There are lizards on occassions. It is not a common thing. They get in through the gap in the bottom of the screen door.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,433 times
Did you ever get the name of a contractor that can do this work? If you have one or an idea of how much it will cost for glass/screen can you share that info with me? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville