Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM

377 posts, read 1,727,777 times

Advertisements

When I lived in an apartment in Virginia (on the 5th floor), my roommate was getting ready to take a shower and had one foot in the tub, when he looked down and saw a snake in the tub staring back at him. Needless to say, my roommate quickly left (ran) out of the bathroom. The maintenance person came and caught it, but nobody could figure out how a snake could end up on the 5th floor in a tub. A couple of days later, someone living on the 7th floor mentioned losing their pet snake.... we guess the snake got loose and started traveling thru the plumbing pipes and ended up in our tub..... so don't forget to look before stepping!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,624 times
I keep snakes, so I have plenty. I have found several extras from time to time. About 5 years ago I found about a dozen or so baby garters in the basement. I left them alone and they moved on to greener pastures so to speak. Also found a 4 ft black snake in my living room. I did have to put him outside because our new dog was so scared.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:41 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
An alternative to moth balls is peppermint oil - works great for mice and lizards, too. Originally I bought the oil online, but I found the peppermint extract found in the spice section of a grocery store works just as well. Mix the extract with water (no particular formula I've discovered) and put into a spray bottle and just spray around doorways and bushes etc. The only con is that it doesn't last as long as moth balls or flakes and the process needs to be repeated every once in a while. However, not a big deal - I keep a peppermint/water bottle by my sliding door and just grab it when I see fit.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:24 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,173 times
Moth balls is a great idea. Thanks.

You know, though, when I walk my dog in front of the neighbor's yard, I smell the moth balls. So, I don't know if the moth balls were already in place when he discovered the snakes.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 AM

530 posts, read 1,460,200 times
Yes a corn snake I think not sure it was red,black and yellow,dont remember how the bands were. You all know that saying,,it was in the dresser draw, we killed it, but I had trouble sleeping for a while!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM

482 posts, read 944,934 times
Yuck!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,299 times
yikes! this post makes me squeamish..........

I hope my husband is home if I ever encounter this problem!! No snakes in hawaii.......

Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,200 times
I was station in Hawaii,, and yes no snakes there!! yet!!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 PM

11 posts, read 60,965 times
I've lived in Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra all of my 56 years and have NEVER had a snake in the house! Thank God!

I have only seen one Garter Snake in the yard of our old house in Ortega Forest when our son was little. It about scared me to death. It lifted itself up like a cobra and looked like it was going to strike. Lucky for me, my yard man was there and I got him to kill it. If it was that aggressive, I didn't want it around my four year old.

I have not seen one since we moved to the beach, but we bought a house in Highlands, NC for a vacation home and I saw a large black snake on the porch. I stepped right over it! It was stretched out right along the threshold of the sliding door. I didn't see it. We didn't kill it. It evidently eats poisonous snakes and kills mice, etc. Believe me, I looked it up after I went around the house to get back inside. I also found out that you can shoot water at them or make vibrations to get them to move. They can't hear, but hear through vibrations, so they feel you come rather than hear you come.

Of course if it was poisonous, I would do NONE of the above, but just call the local snake guy to move it or kill it. We just gave this one time to move on and he did.

I absolutely believe in that Biblical antipathy between man and snakes! Don't want to share my house with them, that is for sure.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlands/PVBeach View Post
I've lived in Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra all of my 56 years and have NEVER had a snake in the house! Thank God!

I have only seen one Garter Snake in the yard of our old house in Ortega Forest when our son was little. It about scared me to death. It lifted itself up like a cobra and looked like it was going to strike. Lucky for me, my yard man was there and I got him to kill it. If it was that aggressive, I didn't want it around my four year old.

I have not seen one since we moved to the beach, but we bought a house in Highlands, NC for a vacation home and I saw a large black snake on the porch. I stepped right over it! It was stretched out right along the threshold of the sliding door. I didn't see it. We didn't kill it. It evidently eats poisonous snakes and kills mice, etc. Believe me, I looked it up after I went around the house to get back inside. I also found out that you can shoot water at them or make vibrations to get them to move. They can't hear, but hear through vibrations, so they feel you come rather than hear you come.

Of course if it was poisonous, I would do NONE of the above, but just call the local snake guy to move it or kill it. We just gave this one time to move on and he did.

I absolutely believe in that Biblical antipathy between man and snakes! Don't want to share my house with them, that is for sure.
That's a good practice, stomping around a bit if you thinks snakes are present. I do that when walking through certain areas of the woods, such as around a lot of fallen trees/logs where I think snakes might be. I do a a bit of stomping to give fair warning to the snakes that I'm coming through so we don't suprise each other .

I realize you may have been joking about the bible reference to snakes. The serpent is merely symbolic in Abrahamic religions (as well as many other religions), I hope no one takes the myths literally...snakes are good !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville