Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 AM

39 posts, read 136,766 times

Advertisements

Had guests over and their teenage son surfed my computer into virus and spyware oblivion Any clues on who is reliable to come to the house or take my computer to for a clean up? Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 AM

77 posts, read 321,547 times
Most virus related stuff can be cleaned by the user. Do you have virus protection on the PC? Does it indicate a virus? Do you have spyware cleaners such as CCleaner or Spybot search and destroy?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,575 times
It took me a few days to get the viruses off my computer so it would work again. Then, I took it to M&M computers and they cleaned everything off. They charge $70 and it only took them 1 1/2 hours, so for me, $105 was not a bad price to pay to not have to buy a new computer. Good luck! It takes some time and patience to rid your computer.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 AM

39 posts, read 136,766 times
Hey Guys~ Thanx so much for the replies. I have Trend Micro virus and spyware protection and it indicated 4 binary viruses that I was able to delete before everything locked up and my scan stopped working. I have a crazy blue screen up on my desktop instead of my usual and it says I have spyware detected and other things trying to get me to click on yet another download disaster. I also have several things running in my toolbar that shouldn't be there with misspelled things telling me that i have a virus and need to click this or that. ie click here to "pervent" an infection. I know not to click on anything. I guess the kid just ignored all my Trend Micro warnings that must've popped up as he was surfing and clicked away anyways.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:57 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzy jayne View Post
Hey Guys~ Thanx so much for the replies. I have Trend Micro virus and spyware protection and it indicated 4 binary viruses that I was able to delete before everything locked up and my scan stopped working. I have a crazy blue screen up on my desktop instead of my usual and it says I have spyware detected and other things trying to get me to click on yet another download disaster. I also have several things running in my toolbar that shouldn't be there with misspelled things telling me that i have a virus and need to click this or that. ie click here to "pervent" an infection. I know not to click on anything. I guess the kid just ignored all my Trend Micro warnings that must've popped up as he was surfing and clicked away anyways.
There is a virus out called Virtumonde that is almost impossible to eliminate...this is coming from a person who was on the Presidents List studying Computer Information Systems Analysis. You have to clean every last little trace or it will regenerate itself and come back, maybe 2 hours later maybe 2 days.

You should have an expert check it thoroughly. I recommend:
Brad Wilson
IT Support Solutions
806 Third Street Suite B
Neptune Beach FL 32266
www.JAXITSupport.com
904-314-4706
BradWilson@JAXITsupport.com

I'm not saying this is what you have, but this is one of the virus's that can defeat anti-spyware programs easily. I'd also install Spybot Search and Destroy...it picks up stuff that the anti-virus programs cannot. Another good one is SpySweeper by Webroot.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:03 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Why pay someone 100 bucks to format and re-install your operating system when you can do that yourself. Plenty of info on the net and I have done my own work and don`t regret it.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM

77 posts, read 321,547 times
Have you tried going into Safe Mode (Hit F8 when you see the Win XP Logo during boot and then select Safe Mode) and then run your antivirus scan from there?

If you can find out which virus is on the PC, you can search the net on how to destroy it. There may be several but most of the time, the pop-up boxes have text which you can search by on the net to find out which virus it is and how others got rid of it.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Why pay someone 100 bucks to format and re-install your operating system when you can do that yourself. Plenty of info on the net and I have done my own work and don`t regret it.
Why pay? Because a lot of the information placed on the Internet and here, is addressed to the computer -savvy person, and is not for people who know little about their computers. There is a lot of computer terminology that it is foreign language to people who do not know much about the technology.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Why pay? Because a lot of the information placed on the Internet and here, is addressed to the computer -savvy person, and is not for people who know little about their computers. There is a lot of computer terminology that it is foreign language to people who do not know much about the technology.
If a user cant copy & paste their important files to an external hard drive then use the discs that came with their computer to re-install the OS (which is step by step instructions) & that said user insists on owning a Windows PC, then they're gonna be in for a lot more wasted time, money & trouble in the future because this is a common thing.

In the future, download & use Firefox for browsing. Forget Internet Explorer, its garbage. Also, to prevent this sorta thing in the future, password protect your user account & set it to require a password each time the PC gets restarted, goes to sleep or wakes up from screen saver.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM

96 posts, read 278,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1025 View Post
Have you tried going into Safe Mode (Hit F8 when you see the Win XP Logo during boot and then select Safe Mode) and then run your antivirus scan from there?

If you can find out which virus is on the PC, you can search the net on how to destroy it. There may be several but most of the time, the pop-up boxes have text which you can search by on the net to find out which virus it is and how others got rid of it.
This is what I suggest as well. The virus' and spybot's are triggered from a regular startup. Go into Safe Mode, run your antivirus and see if that at least gives you some functions back. I'm not familiar with Trend Micro and if it has a spybot killer but that will be critical to stop the internet hijacking and pop-ups.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville