Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 AM

266 posts, read 853,077 times

Advertisements

I have googled fitness centers for Jacksonville but it can be hard to tell what kind of group classes they offer (some don't have group classes at all). I teach Pilates & Yoga and am ACE-certified for group fitness, but currently freezing my ass off in Michigan, lol. It'll still be at least a year before I'm able to move to Jax, but I'm curious what kind of opportunities there might be!

And don't worry, I'm not relying on it to make a living! My husband has a good job and may be able to relocate to Jax (office in the Southside area, from what I can tell, I'm hoping we can live in San Marco). Teaching group fitness hardly brings home enough money for a beer run, but it sure is fun!

Thanks in advance! The weather in MI is gray and cold and windy and rainy and tomorrow we may get snow. Dreaming of the day we'll move south is the only thing keeping me barely sane at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM

286 posts, read 1,231,906 times
Check out Sportsplex in Neptune Beach, FL for group fitness along with Cobalt Moon in Neptune Beach, FL for Yoga and Pilates. There are alot of Bailey's Gyms here, but not too many chains such as Bally's, etc. There's also a World Gym off of Beach Blvd. These are pretty far away from San Marco, but they might be able to point you in the right direction...good luck!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Thank you so much, I'll look those up! I usually don't mind driving a bit if the situation is right (currently I drive 45 minutes each way to work in MI - not fun in the snow!). Hopefully one or two of those places will need a sub when I get there!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:38 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
you might also want to check into the new YMCA they opened on the southside
it use to be brooks fitness and really nice high end club they have tons of classes
I haven't gone since they converted it to the Y but my friend still goes and she said all the classes are still there

Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Also take a look at the Jewish Community Center. It is in San Jose (San Marco and San Jose border each other - very close). The JCC has a well-established upscale fitness center:

JCA of Jacksonville

Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks so much you guys! I checked the websites, and the JCA and Brooks YMCA look like exactly the type of situations I've really enjoyed working in up north. I'm so thankful to have this information before I'm actually moving; it gives me some time to put in more work & training time up here - sharpen up my resume y'know.

Thanks again, reputations boosts for all of ya!

J

Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,714 times
I go to the Brooks/YMCA, its great, not sure if they have Yoga classes, but they have everything else under the sun. Also, I have a friend who practices Bikram. She said that there is only one Bikram studio in town and it's off of Atlantic right over the intracoastal bridge across from Pier 1.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:58 PM

YMCA's can really be terrific. I worked at one in Battle Creek (MI) that farmed out teachers to other businesses - I wound up working full-time in the Kelloggs corporate fitness center, pretty much the most fun job ever. Of course not all YMCA's are created equal, but this Brooks one sounds great.

I'm also very glad to know about the yoga options around Jax! I love to take classes too! Cobalt Moon sounds like my kinda place. I'm not a Bikram person right now, but before I moved here I wasn't an Ashtanga person either. Now that I live near a wonderful studio, I love it. I'm still not tough enough to get through the whole series but I have fun.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Power Yoga in San Marco has won awards as "The Best" yoga studio in Jax:

Yoga Power (http://yoga-power.com/sites/web/index.cfm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville