Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,569 times

Advertisements

Me and my g/f are seriously considering moving to/around Jacksonville the middle of next year. We're currently renting a 2 bed 2 bath duplex in Rome GA for $550/month. It's currently 35 degrees outside. I've lived in Rome all my life (26 years).

We've visited FL a few times, mainly to pass through to get to cruises. We also stayed a few days in St Augustine recently. Every minute i'm in FL I love it more. I liked Jacksonville but really don't want to live in the middle of the city. The area between it and St Augustine was nice. Ok, so, on to my questions.

Questions:
Can we find a place to rent for around $550 a month? (need 2 bathrooms)
How's the weather year round?
What problems am I going to run into moving from GA to FL? (drivers license, insurance, re-titling, transferring loans)
Jobs?

Any help/suggestions about places around Jacksonville would be appreciated.

Facts about us:
No kids
I've got a lot of IT background and want to stay in the IT field
We'll have a few thousand $ by the time we move saved up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM

859 posts, read 3,617,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjrow View Post
Me and my g/f are seriously considering moving to/around Jacksonville the middle of next year. We're currently renting a 2 bed 2 bath duplex in Rome GA for $550/month. It's currently 35 degrees outside. I've lived in Rome all my life (26 years).

We've visited FL a few times, mainly to pass through to get to cruises. We also stayed a few days in St Augustine recently. Every minute i'm in FL I love it more. I liked Jacksonville but really don't want to live in the middle of the city. The area between it and St Augustine was nice. Ok, so, on to my questions.

Questions:
What problems am I going to run into moving from GA to FL? (drivers license, insurance, re-titling, transferring loans)
Jobs?

Facts about us:
No kids
It's around 40degrees this morning.

First advise it to secure a job before moving down here. You don't want to waste your savings while spending months finding a job after the move. Knowing a job location will help you find a desirable location to live.
2/2 for $550....maybe, but might not be too decent or safe? Again, that will depend on which part of JAX you want to be in.

And transfer drivers license and plate is easy. Annual tag fee is based on vehicle weight and renews on your birthday.

Carnival cruise is sailing from Jax port now, so you know, perhaps plan some vacations to JAX and hop on the cruise from here.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I'm not too optimistic about renting 2/2 for $550 a month. Definitely look into the job market first and secure a position before relocating. And perhaps salaries in your field are higher here than in Rome and you can look at paying more for housing.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm not too optimistic about renting 2/2 for $550 a month. Definitely look into the job market first and secure a position before relocating. And perhaps salaries in your field are higher here than in Rome and you can look at paying more for housing.
I agree with the job before moving. In the area you are looking (the Southside) it will be hard to find to find a rental around $550. Good call on the salary.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 PM

159 posts, read 655,856 times
I moved from ATL to Jax in 2006. You're in for sticker shock on the rents. Apts are called "estates" - I pay $1245 for a decent safe place. Check Palm Coast - it's half the price - just don't rent from a private landlord anywhere - as soon as you pay all your deposits you get the notice that it's going into foreclosure and you have to move out in 48 hours! Food is much higher but the other utilities are cheaper. Auto tags, etc are a fraction of the price (no ad-volurem here). The closer you are to the coast the higher everything is (think beach prices). IT is good here if you have a degree in Computer Science you can start at $200k a year in a medical field.

Just hit the net and see what you find in prices, jobs, etc. As far as FL goes Jax is your best bet for everything right now.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

LandShark99

Old 10-30-2008, 08:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehjrow View Post

Questions:
Jobs?

Facts about us:
No kids

I used this Cost of Living calculator from Bankrate.com to compare some costs:

Rome, GA to Jax, FL:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Overall, Jax costs 6.07% more. Here's what Bankrate estimates for the difference in apartment costs:

Apt. Rent ROME: $672.5 JAX: $997.71 INCREASE OF: $325.21

There is no comparison for St. Augustine, too small of a city I suppose.

City-Data keeps some stats:

Jacksonville Median gross rent in 2007: $831

(Again, no stats available for St. Augustine)

So those might be helpful for you to estimate how much you would have to spend on rent. St. Augustine's rents should be comparable to Jax's.

As for Jax, you don't have to live in the middle of the city, most of Jacksonville is suburban. We have the suburbs, we have rural areas, we have the beaches - all it's all in Jacksonville. So if you don't want to live in an urban setting, you don't have to. The jobs are in Jacksonville though, so no matter where you live, there's a good chance you'll be working in Jacksonville.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,569 times
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies! I'll let you know what happens next year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville