Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM

30 posts, read 118,529 times

Advertisements

We're desperately looking to bid out of our current location ( Southern IN near Louisville, KY. ). We're with UPS and can bid into gateways. We started in Louisville ( from AZ ) but want OUT! Amongst our several other bids we're looking seriously at Jacksonville. I've lives 2x in Orlando and toured alot within the state. I never made it as far up as Jacksonville. Here's other cities we've lived in and enjoyed ( Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego, El Paso with many visits to others ) Sound like we'd like Jacksonville? Our son's twelve and we're outdoorsy people. My Aunt lives in Stuart, FL. Hubby'd work at the airport. (JAX I believe ) Would be looking for nice neighborhood ( midclass to upper midclass ), decent schools, shopping and within a reasonable commute to airport. Thirty minutes give or take. Any ideas? THANXXXXXXXXX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
What are your reasons for wanting out of Louisville? That would help in deciding whether or not Jax is a viable alternative. From what you've said though I think you'd like the Jacksonville area.

Will your husband work normal office hours at the airport? If so, the thirty-minute commute restriction might seriously limit your housing options. But if he goes in real early and can beat rush hour, that would probably open things up a bit.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 PM

He's an airplane mechanic. Although on days now he'll probably wind up on graves. UPS has weird technician hours. Not usually 9 to 5. Airline industry usually doesn't recognise holidays or weekends. it's all one lumped blur lol! Louisville's a bit behind on the progressive/ modern front ( schools ad general life ). I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here so won't elaborate. The weather's windy & cold. I don't mind cold & snow but sleety and constant wind's nasty! The Ohio Valley's area is one of the worst in the country for people with allergies and we've been advised to leave and that anywhere else is an improvement! It's the only place in the US we've been in and disliked. Better off living where we'd be happy!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat14 View Post
Louisville's a bit behind on the progressive/ modern front ( schools ad general life ).
That's a bit broad, as you say, but I'd have to put that same label on Jax as well.

Quote:
The weather's windy & cold. I don't mind cold & snow but sleety and constant wind's nasty!
Obviously I'm biased, spending the first 18 years of my life there, but I think Jax's weather is absolutely terrific.

Quote:
Better off living where we'd be happy!
You said you're outdoorsy, and you appear very laidback as well...so I think you'd definitely like Jax. Although we have the most "parks" area of any city in the US (...I think...) the parks system is sub-par. Especially considering what I've read of Louisville, I think their recent comprehensive park plans have been far more effective than Jacksonville's. That said, don't totally discount that ranking either. It's a great city for kids to grow up and play outdoors. We're no Boulder, Colorado, but I was a very active child.

Good news about commuting to the airport which I hadn't considered previously, is that while JIA (or JAX) is a good 14-15 miles north of the city center, we have a nice loop around the city created by I-295 and Hwy 9A so that wherever you live, it may be possible to use the outer loop as a straight shot up to the airport and a way to bypass the bad rush hours on I-95 and other roads inside this loop. I don't know how bad traffic is on this outer loop in the morning, but I'd imagine it's considerably less congested.

So all things considered, you may be able to choose a location based on other interests. Do you like the beach? Are you looking for a ranch and horses? A country club with tennis and golf teams? Jax has a lot to offer in the upper middle class range.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:46 PM

Wonderful help! Currently we own acreage and mules ( rescues ) but our outdoorsiness flows over into running, swimming, sight-seeing, boating and so forth. I'm uncertain we'll haul the livestock. Probably not. We travel ALOT and it's been very difficult with them. I can find secure homes for them.
When I say Louisville ( metro area ) is behind I'm speaking of mullets, Pinto's, far outdated educational systems, very few people who've left the area ( can't discuss travel or anything going on outside of the area with anyone SIGH ), nothing new gets brought in and a general feeling of the 1970's. Still trying to be kind here Fine for them but not for us.
Florida is a terrific state and it looks like Jacksonville is going onto our list!
THANK U!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Ah, I see. The way you've described Louisville, I'd say there are traces of that in Jacksonville but our overall population is definitely better cultured and traveled.

Glad I could help though I never even suggested any specific parts of town. Anyway, as you get further in your research please offer more details and I'm sure there will be people who can advise you on particular neighborhoods. (I'm surprised no one else has chimed in yet) Jacksonville is great because we have so many diverse areas in town and you can find so many things to suit your lifestyle.

BTW, I really love our airport. It's clean, efficient enough, relaxing and comfortable. Not very large but that's probably why I like it. Figure it's probably a nice place to work, too.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:29 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
We're desperately looking to bid out of our current location ( Southern IN near Louisville, KY. ). We're with UPS and can bid into gateways. We started in Louisville ( from AZ ) but want OUT! Amongst our several other bids we're looking seriously at Jacksonville. I've lives 2x in Orlando and toured alot within the state. I never made it as far up as Jacksonville. Here's other cities we've lived in and enjoyed ( Orlando, Phoenix, San Diego, El Paso with many visits to others ) Sound like we'd like Jacksonville? Our son's twelve and we're outdoorsy people. My Aunt lives in Stuart, FL. Hubby'd work at the airport. (JAX I believe ) Would be looking for nice neighborhood ( midclass to upper midclass ), decent schools, shopping and within a reasonable commute to airport. Thirty minutes give or take. Any ideas? THANXXXXXXXXX!
I'm sorry, Jacksonville has no outdoors.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Wonderful help! Currently we own acreage and mules ( rescues ) but our outdoorsiness flows over into running, swimming, sight-seeing, boating and so forth. I'm uncertain we'll haul the livestock. Probably not. We travel ALOT and it's been very difficult with them. I can find secure homes for them.
When I say Louisville ( metro area ) is behind I'm speaking of mullets, Pinto's, far outdated educational systems, very few people who've left the area ( can't discuss travel or anything going on outside of the area with anyone SIGH ), nothing new gets brought in and a general feeling of the 1970's. Still trying to be kind here Fine for them but not for us.
Florida is a terrific state and it looks like Jacksonville is going onto our list!
THANK U!
Pinto's??? They still exist? Anways, what's the hell is wrong with mullets??

Old 10-30-2008, 09:09 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
As Projectmaximus said, we do have our mullet neighborhoods here ! If you prefer a mullet-free part of town, that's easily accommodated though . I live on the Southside of the city, and it's been quite a while since I've had a mullet-sighting .

Keeping the airport location in mind for your husband's commute, you'll want to keep your sights on either I95 or I295/9A for commuting.

From that point, it really depends on the kind of neighborhood you want, what you wish to live near, and so on. Can you give us some details on those things? Describe your ideal neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville