Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,264 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I currently live in Stockton, CA about 45 minutes south of Sacramento. My wife and I were both born in Panama, Central America. We've never found a good reason to go back home, but that wasn't until my son was born two years ago. We are now in Panama (beautiful country by the way) and we have decided that our son needs to be closer to his family (only 2 1/2 hours flight from Panama to Miami)

We want to relocate to a city in Florida and I've been very impressed so far with Lakeland and Jacksonville.

I want to know why you would recommend Jacksonville?

**Some Additional information

I have a BS in Management Information Systems (Computers and Networks, etc)

We're both in our early 30s

Thank you very much in advance for all your replies

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:40 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,149,431 times
If you've been impressed so far with Jacksonville I'd say that is a good sign, as I assume that means you've visited and have some sense of what the lifestyle is like in Northeast Florida. Cause Jax is easily the most different of the major cities in Florida. You won't find any of the latin-influence that you have in the Miami, Tampa and Orlando areas. I don't mean to put words in your mouth and you never suggested that Spanish speakers are what you are seeking, but I am just pointing it out as an example of how Jacksonville's feel and vibe is different from those other metropolitan areas.

I don't know too much about Lakeland aside from a few trips to Florida Southern when I was a young kid, but it seems the great advantage you have living there is a comfortable suburban lifestyle very close to both Tampa and Orlando, and everything those cities has to offer.

Jax can easily offer that same comfort in suburban living. If there's one great thing I've always felt about my hometown, it's that it was a great place for me to grow up and I think is a great place to raise a family in general. There are many family-oriented, friendly, and welcoming neighborhoods all over the city. There is incredibly convenient access to nice beaches. There are lots of kids and a very large school system. There are plenty of negatives with the schools in Jax, but it's a huge district so there are many good options both private and public (magnet schools). I think Jacksonville is very beautiful, too, with the beaches as I mentioned, as well as the St. johns River offering some great waterfronts and seven spectacular bridges.

In general, I think Jax is terrific for the suburban lifestyle, but the urban life is lacking. There are a few pockets of dense, walkable neighborhoods but they are small and few. The cultural opportunities (my field) is also very wanting. But downtown is going through a slow and somewhat steady revitalization and the possibility of vast improvements in the next decade is exciting.

I'd also note that there won't be any direct flights from JAX to Panama, as there probably are from tampa or orlando. But I wouldn't expect that to be a make or break issue for you. And our airport is actually quite nice.

I can't speak towards the job market in your area of expertise, but others might be able to. And if you have any more specific questions as you make your decision, myself and the rest of the folks on this board will be more than happy to help.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,443,024 times
I can't give any meaningful comparison to Lakeland, but I'd recommend Jax if you're looking for a relaxed lifestyle.

Projectmaximus gave a great description above .

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 21,835 times
projectmaximus gave a great description of Jacksonville!

Also check out St Johns County, which is East of the St Johns river and south of Jacksonville (small part of Jacksonville is in St Johns County) and Orange Park, which is West of the St Johns River and southwest of Jacksonville.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:04 AM

286 posts, read 1,231,463 times
Jax is great, but the jobs here aren't as good as what you'd see in South FL. Unfortunately, there are going to be alot of IT layoffs with Merrill Lynch, Fidelity and Citigroup during the new year. I would look elsewhere at this time, although, Jax is a great city, you just may have a tough time finding an IT job here.

I would apply to IT jobs in Jax and Lakeland before moving, so that you can get a read of what the job search is like. Have you considered Atlanta or Miami? Bigger cities with more jobs...

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Projectmaximus gave a great description above .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamGraham View Post
projectmaximus gave a great description of Jacksonville!
Thanks, guys! Lol, is there a job out there where I can get paid for writing great descriptions of jax?

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,443,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks, guys! Lol, is there a job out there where I can get paid for writing great descriptions of jax?
I think you found it !

Has there been a holdup in your City-Data checks? Hmmm....I'll put in a request for payroll to look into it !

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,264 times
It's good to get a good perspective from the folks living in the area. It seems Jax is like Sacramento. Not a big city but lots of surrounding small communities. I like that.

I should be arriving in Jax on the 21st of November to check it out first hand.

Thank you all for your help, especially "projectmaximus"

Alex

Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I think you found it !

Has there been a holdup in your City-Data checks? Hmmm....I'll put in a request for payroll to look into it !
Hmmm, maybe you can pay me in cash so I dont have to report it to the IRS? I mean, the salary from C-D would put me into the over $250,000 tax bracket, right?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamanian33 View Post
It's good to get a good perspective from the folks living in the area. It seems Jax is like Sacramento. Not a big city but lots of surrounding small communities. I like that.
I don't know that much about Sacramento but I'm not so sure the two cities are that similar beyond what you specifically said. Sacramento's metro pop is a little bit bigger. But our economy is pretty diverse and not centered around the state govt. And we have the beaches I guess we're both fighting to keep our respective NFL team and NBA teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamanian33 View Post
I should be arriving in Jax on the 21st of November to check it out first hand.

Thank you all for your help, especially "projectmaximus"
Alex
Sure thing. Hope you have a good visit and if you've got any more questions feel free to ask away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville