Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,471,166 times

Advertisements

Well sure!

Hey, everyone. Did you hear that. The religious people say you can stop being gay now. You know, since you have a choice in the matter & all.

Why, I hear its as easy to catch as the common cold & all gays are pedophiles.
This video told me so.

Last edited by KerryB; 11-10-2008 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM

62 posts, read 180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndb View Post
You can't compare gay rights to the rights of African Americans because being black is not a choice.
Being gay is not a choice. All one can do is pretend not to be gay.
Why would you claim it's a choice...because it's something you can't physically see?

I can easily claim a certain thing that many believe in doesn't exist because it can't be seen nor tested, but it would be cut out, so I won't specify what that thing is.

Even Arnold Schwarzenegger said on CNN's Late Edition recently that the CA Prop 8 battle will probably go back to the court as this is EXACTLY like the civil rights battle that African-Americans had to fight concerning inter-racial marriage.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Useless thread. The votes were casts and counted. FL is anti-gay. Too bad for FL, gays spend a great amount of money traveling, and for sure I will not be wasting my vacation money where I am not welcome. There goes FL's only industry.
I think you all are being quite silly. Nothing about the laws in FL has changed, and you still live here and/or spend money here. This was simply the voters rejecting laws that would benefit a particular group based on their sexual preferences, and to call it "anti" anything is nothing more than a perspective. From the majority of the voters point of view, the winning vote was "pro-heterosexual" not "anti-homesexual." You see the distinction?? If it works in your favor, then it would have been "pro-gay" but it was not, so it is in essence "pro-heterosexual." You can't have it both ways. If the vote would have been in your favor, would those who voted against it been calling it "anti-heterosexual?" To take this issue personally is just ludicrous. I have nothing against gays other than the skewed perception that somehow they should have special rights based on their sexual preferences.

And local jurisdictions will still dictate the majority of what is tolerated and/or acceptable and what is not....I don't see any huge changes coming for Key West or other more "gay-friendly" areas of the state.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post
Being gay is not a choice. All one can do is pretend not to be gay.
Why would you claim it's a choice...because it's something you can't physically see?

I can easily claim a certain thing that many believe in doesn't exist because it can't be seen nor tested, but it would be cut out, so I won't specify what that thing is.

Even Arnold Schwarzenegger said on CNN's Late Edition recently that the CA Prop 8 battle will probably go back to the court as this is EXACTLY like the civil rights battle that African-Americans had to fight concerning inter-racial marriage.
That's interesting because the news that I heard was that the majority of the people who voted against the amendment were of African-American descent. So with that in mind, maybe you should be angry at the blacks, and not the heterosexual white people. Good God this is a weird conversation.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,176,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I think you all are being quite silly. Nothing about the laws in FL has changed, and you still live here and/or spend money here. This was simply the voters rejecting laws that would benefit a particular group based on their sexual preferences, and to call it "anti" anything is nothing more than a perspective. From the majority of the voters point of view, the winning vote was "pro-heterosexual" not "anti-homesexual." You see the distinction?? If it works in your favor, then it would have been "pro-gay" but it was not, so it is in essence "pro-heterosexual." You can't have it both ways. If the vote would have been in your favor, would those who voted against it been calling it "anti-heterosexual?" To take this issue personally is just ludicrous. I have nothing against gays other than the skewed perception that somehow they should have special rights based on their sexual preferences.

And local jurisdictions will still dictate the majority of what is tolerated and/or acceptable and what is not....I don't see any huge changes coming for Key West or other more "gay-friendly" areas of the state.
Let me just ask, how is it special to have the same rights as anyone else living and breathing?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 PM

120 posts, read 460,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
And the panhandle
lmao the panhandle is one of the most conservative areas of the country.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Whether or not you're a fan of Keith Olbermann, he gave a very good heartfelt perspective on this issue in tonight's "Special Comment" portion of his show. Though he's directing his comments towards Prop 8 in California, it is just as applicable to Amendment 2 in Florida:

Countdown

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 AM

754 posts, read 2,803,465 times
Whether or not you're a fan of Keith Olbermann

I tend to ignore certifiable nutjobs, thanks. Him giving a "heartfelt perspective" on anything involving thought is like Bill Clinton giving a sermon on the virtues of honesty and marital fidelity.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Whether or not you're a fan of Keith Olbermann, he gave a very good heartfelt perspective on this issue in tonight's "Special Comment" portion of his show. Though he's directing his comments towards Prop 8 in California, it is just as applicable to Amendment 2 in Florida:

Countdown
Thanks for that link, Riv.

That is a powerful piece. I gotta tell ya, he makes a really emotional argument in favor of "love". Unfortunately, I don't think he says anything to dispel the bugaboo of marriage between people of the same gender. Olberman equates it to civil rights (an argument that we often hear) but it is far easier to defend a right that is taken away than a right that in the minds of people was never there in the first place.

I almost wish this message was delivered by someone other than Olberman though. I kinda lost all respect or credibility for him especially and most of the commentators in mainstream network television. But that's another story.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM

9,866 posts, read 14,195,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
[ ] It is against the law for a gay person to adopt a child in Florida.

[ ] Gay citizens are no longer provided the legal protections and benefits of civil unions or domestic partnerships.

[ ] An employer who provides health benefits to couples in a domestic partnership or civil union is open to lawsuits for providing such benefits.

Why would any GLBTC community members want to move or remain here? At first it wasn't so bad, but a GLBTC person is truely a second class citizen in every sense of the word.
Yeah, that's despicable, really. The Human Rights Campaign and the GLBT community has a lot of work to do. Florida is just one example of backward and demeaning laws on the books.
Florida has pockets of liberal areas. On the whole, though, they are pretty conservative and right-wing in terms of laws. They need to get on the progressive bus, for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville