Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,014 times

Advertisements

I live in the center of the U.S. Upon a few family trips over the last number of years I have fallen in love with the Ocean to make a long story short.

Anyone here ever moved for the same reason. My family and I have toyed with the idea.

Even though we dont do a whole lot with our releation back in the center of U.S. it comforting that we can when we want to. Would be 24 hrs back to vistit if we did move.

Know there is no right or wrong on this but has anyone been in simalr boat (no punn inteded)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,014 times
Just living within striking distance of the Ocean (1hr, 1.5hr) interests me. Love the waves of the West Coast but far more crowded than [URL="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28930-Florida-Vacations.html"]Florida[/URL] and the water is cold even in the middle of summer.

We had never traveled to Florida before recently (last 2 years) and it just seems to fit the bill. Clearer water would be great but murky stuff is just as fun to me. Have only visited Jacksonville Beach and [URL="http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34145-Cocoa_Beach_Florida-Vacations.html"]Cocoa Beach[/URL]. Primarily swimming in and body boarding, have never surfed or sailed on Ocean yet.

Seems like once you have something close or at hand in your proverbial backyard you loose interest or wind up not doing it.

Know it is different for everyone but in general, if you have a strong affinity for the Ocean does the feeling tend to remain strong or does it become mundane once it is so easily at hand?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Inverse for me, I didn't care too much about being so close to the beach/ocean til I left. Now I do miss it.

I don't think anyone can really answer this one for you...whether you grow tired of it or not is really dependent on your own personality. Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Here in Jax, you can live in a "big city" or in "the country", and still be within 15 minutes of the ocean. My best friend (we're 54) still surfs occasionally, and still takes long walks on the beach at least once a week. I'd spend lots of time on the beach if my wife's health allowed it. Like projectmaximus said, it depends on the individual. I know someone who moved to the beach from the middle of town in the mid 70's who still lives out there (and rarely comes into town), and I know others who've been here for decades and never go to the beach.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy007 View Post

Seems like once you have something close or at hand in your proverbial backyard you loose interest or wind up not doing it.
I think that's a true statement. I had been visiting the St. Augustine beaches regularly since I was a kid. As an adult, I moved down full time. At first, I'd spend all my free time at the beach. After a while though, I just moved on to other things.

I've always lived between 10-30 minutes of the beach in the years I've lived here full time in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. I think my experience would be completely different if I lived at the beach though. If I was really into the beach lifestyle (and I'm not), I would live at the beach. Then, I'd probably be at the beach every day, at least for a quick walk if nothing else. So that would be my advice - if you want to spend a lot of time at the beach, see if you can live there.

I'm more interested in living by the river myself, but maybe that's because a similar river was part of my life up in NY where I grew up.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I moved around a lot as a kid, was bi-coastal by the time I was 8 years old.
I always loved the beach, and missed it desperately when I was 14 and we moved to Colorado.
I was far from the beach, but could never get it out of my system.
As an adult, whenever I took a trip, I always made sure it involved water, preferably the ocean.
We finally made a move to north Florida in 2005, and we are 5 minutes drive from the beach. The Florida ocean works for me; it is milder and warmer than the Pacific.
I'm not there every single day, but I do get there regularly, for swimming in summer and walking 12 months a year.
I don't think I take the ocean for granted; it still feels simultaneously invigorating and calming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville