Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 PM

12 posts, read 50,727 times

Advertisements

Need some good information from everyone. I am a event planner, new to the area and would like to plan a regular singles dance party for the age range of 35-55ish. The venue would have to hold around 400, be a safe place to be at night. Any suggestions on who to call?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Maybe one of the Yacht clubs - Epping Forest, Timuquana, etc.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
I think this could be a great idea, I often hear folks that are in the 40+ range sating that they have problems finding places to go dancing without having to deal with the 21 to 30 age group.
The 35 to 55 demographic your looking at would probably be best held on the Southside area.

How often were you thinking of holding the dances?

You can also check some of the hotels also the Morocco Shrine has a large enough room though the room rental fee is a little pricey.

I am a volunteer for a couple non-profits and we do fundrasing events we are in the process of planning 2 so I have been looking at locations. There are plenty of places that can hold 200 folks. Which is the size we are looking at. You might want to consider starting at the 200 person level and then expand as more folks learn of the event.

When you get to the music planning part let me know I can recommend a really great DJ. As a "retired" DJ myself I am pretty picky and this guy impressed the heck out of me !!!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM

12 posts, read 50,727 times
Karla with a K,

Thanks for the great info. I will check those places out and you might let me know how your other events pan out. Since you volunteer for a couple of non-profits, I am looking for a job in the non-profit arena as a director. Maybe I could send you my resume and you could pass it on.
Also, thanks for information about you being a great DJ. I just need to find the place, so please send me your email address (if that is allowed). Thanks again....phbalance

Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
If it's not swing dancing or country western i'd be interested of checking it out as i'll be back in Jax in Dec/Jan permantly.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
phbalance
I will keep my ears open if I hear anyone hiring. the biggest problem is with all the budget cuts(city non-profits) got hit bad.
This is going to be a real challenge getting companies to donate items for our upcoming events lol and guess who is in charge of that !!!!
You know if you can you might want to think of checking into some of the local non-profits like the woman's shelter and the humane society maybe do some volunteering on the weekend it would give you an "in" to whats going on should a job open.

lol I was a pretty good DJ back before I retired but the guy I will recommend is really really good

I can DM you my email

Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM

159 posts, read 656,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbalance View Post
Need some good information from everyone. I am a event planner, new to the area and would like to plan a regular singles dance party for the age range of 35-55ish. The venue would have to hold around 400, be a safe place to be at night. Any suggestions on who to call?
Thanks
Maybe I can help in some way. I'm a Volunteer Community Coordinator for a grassroots organization. I plan and coordinate multi-county volunteers in events. I did my high school reunion last year and it was a biggie.

What's a "regular" singles dance? What else would you plan for entertainment (not everyone dances or some not well enough to do so publicly). If it's just going to be a dance with soft drinks I'd suggest a large church.

I'm new here too and single. One of the singles groups I joined is looking for a venue for 300 for a New Years Party. They are a drinking crowd - socially - most are professionals. The idea is to link up several of these groups because many of us belong to multiple groups then have one big group party. Maybe I can hook you up with them if you are interested. Sounds like a match to me.

DM me with more info. and I'll see what I can do for either of you or both.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:01 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Maybe one of the Yacht clubs - Epping Forest, Timuquana, etc.
Timuquana is a private country club, members only, the Florida Yacht club is a nearby yacht club, but also private members only. Epping is a yacht club, as well, and it is also private, but because it is part of the Governor's Club group by Gate, you might have a chance at booking the ballroom there by expensive default. Unless you are a paying member or have a lot of money I would look elsewhere. As someone said the Morocco Shrine Auditorium on St. Johns Bluff is centrally located, not private, I do not know how expensive, and large. You can actually rent the MOCA downtown for events, that would be very cool and very cosmopolitan. You can also rent space at the Touchdown club in Altel Stadium (I know its not Alltel anymore). The Mariott Southpoint has a large ballroom as well, so do most of the major hotels.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Timuquana is a private country club, members only, the Florida Yacht club is a nearby yacht club, but also private members only. Epping is a yacht club, as well, and it is also private, but because it is part of the Governor's Club group by Gate, you might have a chance at booking the ballroom there by expensive default. Unless you are a paying member or have a lot of money I would look elsewhere. As someone said the Morocco Shrine Auditorium on St. Johns Bluff is centrally located, not private, I do not know how expensive, and large. You can actually rent the MOCA downtown for events, that would be very cool and very cosmopolitan. You can also rent space at the Touchdown club in Altel Stadium (I know its not Alltel anymore). The Mariott Southpoint has a large ballroom as well, so do most of the major hotels.
Are you sure? You can hold weddings in Epping Forest without being a member. I'm not 100% sure about Timuquana. I've been to events there and I'm not a member, but of course one of the event planners may have been a member.

Country clubs are hurting in recent years, they're having a hard time gaining new members (not just in Jax, but all over), so I think they've lightened up on the rules a bit to bring in more $.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,116,604 times
well my parents are members of both tcc and fyc, and to their memberships are different than say epping or ponte vedra, you have to be referred by several other members before you can become one yourself, so in that regard many of the current members have been members for a long time and there is not an influx of new members every year. For Ponte Vedra Inn and Club or Epping, all you have to do is pay to become a member, so they may be hurting. What I am saying is this, the members of TCC and FYC are usually long standing Ortega/Avondale families that have been members for a long time and are not leaving any time soon. Now maybe they have lightened up on the rules, I have not been to any club in Jax since the summer, but in my life as a beneficiary member, for the 2 clubs in Ortega I do not recall seeing a non-member event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: